Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That isn't what's stopping me from buying it. A couple of missing SCs would make the route we take regularly very inconvenient so, we decided to defer until the locations we need are open. They were "guaranteed" by the end of the year but we aren't really expecting them to actually deliver on that front either.

I am only saying I wouldn't pay for the "feature" if it wasn't available at the time of delivery.

It seems this place can be quite hostile towards people who disagree with the "hive". :)

What you are doing makes sense and welcome to TMC. Buy it when you are ready and satisfied with what the car has at delivery.

I see. So what you're saying is that they will never get autopilot like me. I got it!

Now I understand how that works. Thanks for educating me.

And if you think people didn't complain when they got their cars just before autopilot was announced because they got what they ordered, you sure haven't been around here long.
For a senior member you're rather rude. people have legitimate concerns to complain. just because you don't want to doesn't mean you should talk down to those who do.

It seems this place can be quite hostile towards people who disagree with the "hive". :)

I guess because it's a Tesla forum you have to expect that overall we're bias towards Tesla. But if you read my posts, you will see that I have criticized Tesla on a number of issues. I think it's always good to hold Tesla's feet to the fire and we should welcome with open arms constructive criticism, including the autopilot delay criticism in this thread. I like a good argument and I hope people don't take me too seriously. After all, we're only talking about cars! If you ever find a lump and get a diagnosis, the autopilot delay will really be put into perspective!

For a senior member you're rather rude. people have legitimate concerns to complain. just because you don't want to doesn't mean you should talk down to those who do.

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude nor do I mean to talk down to anyone. I'm just stating my opinions.

Given we pretty much know it's in beta already, I'm not sure what people are expecting Tesla to say. They can't promise an exact time, because as they mentioned before, it all depends on how the beta goes. If everything goes well, it'll be publicly released 1-2 months from Beta (which was around August 15), so ~ September 15 to October 15. If it doesn't, it'll take longer.
You make fair and sober points. But you know what I'd be expecting Tesla to say? Something along the lines of "If we can't get this option to work for you then we'll refund the price you paid for this option." If that's been said before, huzzah! If not, then as a 3-year lease guy I'd be somewhat miffed if this option doesn't materialize during a substantial portion of the lease term. As as been stated previously, the not-yet-functioning aspect of this option was rather glossed over on the website and was not mentioned at all by the Tesla rep who helped me order the vehicle. It felt kinda smarmy to hear it directly addressed for the first time at pick up. Then again, caveat emptor.

Last edited:
You make fair and sober points. But you know what I'd be expecting Tesla to say? Something along the lines of "If we can't get this option to work for you then we'll refund the price you paid for this option."

If Tesla ever said something along the lines 'if we can't get this option to work then....' that would be the end of Tesla imo

In this particular situation, communicating publicly as suggested in your post, allows for a failure to deliver a specific product. Tesla's competitive edge over its competition is increasingly being built around the products of the similar nature to this product.

In some situations, like in this one, failure is not an option

Last edited:
You make fair and sober points. But you know what I'd be expecting Tesla to say? Something along the lines of "If we can't get this option to work for you then we'll refund the price you paid for this option." If that's been said before, huzzah! If not, then as a 3-year lease guy I'd be somewhat miffed if this option doesn't materialize during a substantial portion of the lease term. As as been stated previously, the not-yet-functioning aspect of this option was rather glossed over on the website and was not mentioned at all by the Tesla rep who helped me order the vehicle. It felt kinda smarmy to hear it directly addressed for the first time at pick up. Then again, caveat emptor.
I don't think Tesla is going to just drop the ball like that. With Elon running the show, Tesla will release a version of autopilot lane keeping no matter what. It just depends on how long it takes. Elon has indicated multiple times that they had the basic functionality going already, it is just the corner cases that have to be handled.

I'm talking more about people who have been pinging Tesla to ask about autopilot, when we pretty much already know the status. I don't think it'll make things go any faster. But thinking more carefully, actually maybe those people are thinking if they nag Tesla enough they might get access to the Beta.

The bottom line is that if you buy something and it doesn't work you can generally expect recompense. Now, I have every confidence that Tesla will eventually get autopilot to work and it will be both revolutionary and awesome. That said, if success does not materialize during my lease term then I will have indeed paid something for nothing. Honestly, I wouldn't even care if the Tesla dude who helped me configure the car had been honest and more forthcoming about the situation. Moreover, when my DS called after delivery to check on everything I mentioned my dissatisfaction with this narrow facet of the total experience - her response was along the lines of, "yeah, I've heard that a lot."

In the grand scheme of things I know it's a minor issue but it still felt kinda smarmy.

Last edited:
I like the car as is, but I want autopilot lane keeping. I test drove and placed my order in June - sales consultant said it would be available by the time I took delivery (clearly not true). Website is highly misleading. I have no idea why Tesla continues to market the feature the way they do. It's asking for complaints.

FWIW - I can be perfectly happy with the car but also disappointed that Tesla misrepresents the capability, doesn't communicate in order to set/manage expectations and can't hit dates. I wouldn't drive anything else, would buy w or w/o AP but I want what was promised. That's reasonable.

I like the car as is, but I want autopilot lane keeping. I test drove and placed my order in June - sales consultant said it would be available by the time I took delivery (clearly not true). Website is highly misleading. I have no idea why Tesla continues to market the feature the way they do. It's asking for complaints.

FWIW - I can be perfectly happy with the car but also disappointed that Tesla misrepresents the capability, doesn't communicate in order to set/manage expectations and can't hit dates. I wouldn't drive anything else, would buy w or w/o AP but I want what was promised. That's reasonable.
I see that you and I find ourselves in the same boat, yet again. Please bring snacks next time. :smile:

Um, actually yeah - Canuck could perceive it as way worse than either of you, because he has one, you don't. He spent the money and is in love, you haven't and are complaining.

Regardless of how people think, Tesla IS still a grand experiment and we are the early adopters. It is the wild west. If you want stable, established, reliably boring and unchanging, buy a Ford.
If you want an awesome ride that turns heads while it snaps you back into your seat, then buy it for that. Other features will arrive as they do.

The original argument to which I responded is a classical rhetorical maneuver known as the fallacy of relative privation ("I've had it worse, so you can't complain"). Argumentation aimed primarily at stifling dissent or self-aggrandizement (only the former seems intended here).

I've been following Tesla for several years, and following TMC closely for a few months, and, even allowing for the typical extreme bias of internet forums, it's still clear to me that Tesla's reputation for outstanding customer service has taken some serious hits over the past several months (center console, P85D HP, tire rotations in annual service, the "extended warranty" contractual language, slippage in Model X schedule, abridgment of the Ranger service offering, arguable slippage in auto-pilot features, etc.). None of them in themselves is earth-shattering, but taken as a pattern, they are concerning. Given that automobiles are practically a luxury in themselves in this day and age, and luxury automobiles are one by definition, the last thing a company like Tesla needs is to be a company whose products you buy in spite of their reputation for dealing with customers.

I agree, Tesla is a "Grand Experiment" -- and the reason that people will vote with their wallets to go along is if they get something they can't get elsewhere. You've got to nurture and foster that passionate early adopter base, not take them for granted or signal that when you "grow up" as a company you won't treat them any better than anyone else does.

For me, I was pretty much totally sold on Tesla's grand vision a few months ago. Now, I'm more unsure than I was then, and I expected the opposite. I'm still more inclined to buy than not, but I've got some reservations now -- ones I didn't have a few months ago, about how Tesla will treat me as an owner.

It's fine to belittle potential buyers, telling them to "go buy a ford", or "if you have concerns, then Tesla is not for you," but that kind of parochial attitude will not lead to Tesla's vision coming to pass. It would, if carried to its logical extreme, cause it to die in the cradle.

And that would be a shame.

The original argument to which I responded is a classical rhetorical maneuver known as the fallacy of relative privation ("I've had it worse, so you can't complain"). Argumentation aimed primarily at stifling dissent or self-aggrandizement (only the former seems intended here).

I've been following Tesla for several years, and following TMC closely for a few months, and, even allowing for the typical extreme bias of internet forums, it's still clear to me that Tesla's reputation for outstanding customer service has taken some serious hits over the past several months (center console, P85D HP, tire rotations in annual service, the "extended warranty" contractual language, slippage in Model X schedule, abridgment of the Ranger service offering, arguable slippage in auto-pilot features, etc.). None of them in themselves is earth-shattering, but taken as a pattern, they are concerning. Given that automobiles are practically a luxury in themselves in this day and age, and luxury automobiles are one by definition, the last thing a company like Tesla needs is to be a company whose products you buy in spite of their reputation for dealing with customers.

I agree, Tesla is a "Grand Experiment" -- and the reason that people will vote with their wallets to go along is if they get something they can't get elsewhere. You've got to nurture and foster that passionate early adopter base, not take them for granted or signal that when you "grow up" as a company you won't treat them any better than anyone else does.

For me, I was pretty much totally sold on Tesla's grand vision a few months ago. Now, I'm more unsure than I was then, and I expected the opposite. I'm still more inclined to buy than not, but I've got some reservations now -- ones I didn't have a few months ago, about how Tesla will treat me as an owner.

It's fine to belittle potential buyers, telling them to "go buy a ford", or "if you have concerns, then Tesla is not for you," but that kind of parochial attitude will not lead to Tesla's vision coming to pass. It would, if carried to its logical extreme, cause it to die in the cradle.

Kane-slow-clap.gif

Someone send this to Elon he needs to see this!!!!!