Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mobileye3 CPU and camera does not promise self-parking as mentioned in Tesla brochure. For information, please review the video presentation of Mobileye. imo, no amount of software can overcome basic sensor deficiency. That is the reason why BMW and MB has abundance of cameras and radar. In the MX forum, there were sighting of MX mules sporting cameras under the side mirrors.

I was responding to a different and more broad question about the hardware and software design process. I get it, you think they can't do self parking. We'll see. There's really nothing more any of us can say on the matter.

Then you obviously have a definition of "several" that is not universally shared. Or at least I'd think that would be obvious by now.

Okay, how about this specific date from Elon Musk on March 19, 2015: "Elon Musk Says Self-Driving Tesla Cars Will Be in the U.S. by Summer"

I believe the last day of summer was August 31st... I don't have autopilot?

Okay, how about this specific date from Elon Musk on March 19, 2015: "Elon Musk Says Self-Driving Tesla Cars Will Be in the U.S. by Summer"

I believe the last day of summer was August 31st... I don't have autopilot?
Summer lasts until the autumnal equinox, so that makes the last day of summer (assuming Northern Hemisphere) Sept. 23rd, 2015
How many days until the end of Summer 2015?

Then your definition of summer is also non-standard. Seriously, look it up.

I hope we do have lane-keeping by the end of summer. I think there's a decent chance that will happen.

I googled dates of summer and came up with this:

Meteorological Seasons

In order to be consistent and to make forecasting easier, meteorologists divide the year into 4 meteorological seasons of 3 months each:

• spring - starting March 1 and ending May 31,
  • summer - starting June 1 and ending August 31,
  • fall (autumn) - starting September 1 and ending November 30, and
  • winter - starting December 1 and ending February 28 (February 29 in a Leap Year).

It was the 1st one I looked at, so I was definitely wrong on summer dates! :)

Also notice that the prediction (I doubt it was a promise, but you didn't provide the link) was made well after you took delivery of your car, so how can you argue you relied on it?

I get it. You're impatient. So am I. But it's a big stretch to say that Tesla broke a promise to you. Legally you would not have a leg to stand on.

That is not 100% correct, because 3G modem can be upgraded to LTE. I believe adding cameras on the side mirrors is needed for version 1 AP self-parking to properly function. That is why they are testing it here

Swapping a field replaceable module is in no way comparable to routing new power and data to both side mirrors. Not to mention adding an acceptable camera mount (or do you think they'll replace the mirror assemblies?). I can't imagine the retrofit cost for something like this. Ok I can, but it's not a nice number. This isn't going to happen.

Swapping a field replaceable module is in no way comparable to routing new power and data to both side mirrors. Not to mention adding an acceptable camera mount (or do you think they'll replace the mirror assemblies?). I can't imagine the retrofit cost for something like this. Ok I can, but it's not a nice number. This isn't going to happen.
You know that I like to speculate :wink:, so here it goes. A wide angle camera will be integrated to the side mirror assemblies. Power and data to both side mirrors will be via CANbus. Retrofit cost might a thousand or so. You think this is not going to happen, no matter what? You mean Tesla is so good at getting out of trouble by way of vague communication with current owners and potential buyers? Or you think the current sensor package will be adequate for the AP promised since Oct 2014?

You know that I like to speculate :wink:, so here it goes. A wide angle camera will be integrated to the side mirror assemblies. Power and data to both side mirrors will be via CANbus. Retrofit cost might a thousand or so. You think this is not going to happen, no matter what? You mean Tesla is so good at getting out of trouble by way of vague communication with current owners and potential buyers? Or you think the current sensor package will be adequate for the AP promised since Oct 2014?

Since the early version parking sensors retrofit cost $6000, I'm not optimistic. Plus, have you tried to schedule service lately? It would take a decade to work through the backlog of all AP vehicles :wink:

I do think the current sensor package is sufficient for the features promised. I do not think the car will back out of spaces for you, and I think lane change will still require you to look in the mirror/check for advancing traffic. The sensors should be enough for everything else.

Last edited:
I googled dates of summer and came up with this:

Meteorological Seasons

In order to be consistent and to make forecasting easier, meteorologists divide the year into 4 meteorological seasons of 3 months each:

• spring - starting March 1 and ending May 31,
  • summer - starting June 1 and ending August 31,
  • fall (autumn) - starting September 1 and ending November 30, and
  • winter - starting December 1 and ending February 28 (February 29 in a Leap Year).

It was the 1st one I looked at, so I was definitely wrong on summer dates! :)

The meteorological definition of summer is far from the conventional definition of the seasons.

The conventional end and start dates (the equinoxes) coincides with when the sun is exactly above 0 degrees latitude. The meteorological definition is only used by meteorologists/climatologists in order to make classifying climatology data into more simplified dates and times. The conventional definition coincides with the natural transition of the earth's procession around the sun, while the meteorological definition make no sense outside of grouping data points.

It's still summer. The Model X will be released on 9/29 and given the autopilot features are included in full without asterisks, it's safe to say the software will be released by then. At most, it's only likely to be late no more than one week at this point which is pretty good for Tesla's time table.

I don't know if this has any bearing on the side mirror hardware discussion or not, but when the P85Ds, (and perhaps some cars before those) first were being delivered, people were talking about the new visible screw on them that apparently had not been there before. There was some conjecture that this could have something to do with a potential future hardware change.

I don't know if this has any bearing on the side mirror hardware discussion or not, but when the P85Ds, (and perhaps some cars before those) first were being delivered, people were talking about the new visible screw on them that apparently had not been there before. There was some conjecture that this could have something to do with a potential future hardware change.

"On them"? Where is this screw you're referring to?

"On them"? Where is this screw you're referring to?

Did I word that incorrectly? I was writing from an airport, using my phone, and not near my car, and didn't go back to look anything up.

But there is a screw (or some sort of exposed fastener) on the bracket that holds the side mirror or something that people said had not been there before.

If you're yanking my chain because I worded something poorly, that's fine. If you really don't know what I'm talking about, I'm home now, and could go take and post a picture of it.

Edit: I think it may only be visible when the mirrors are folded in.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441684253.069952.jpg

Wow, so when you read the Tesla blog on 10-10-2014 that said "Model S will be able to steer to stay within a lane, change lanes with the simple tap of a turn signal, and manage speed by reading road signs and using active, traffic aware cruise control. It will take several months for all Autopilot features to be completed and uploaded to the cars.", you knew it'd be a year? Wow, you should change your name to Nostradamus.

Well, it says several months instead of giving a definite date for a reason, which is at the time it was difficult for them to accurately estimate the exact time it would take to get it all ready. I guess you can argue 11 months is more than "several", and yes, they are late. With the benefit of hindsight, they should have used a term like "foreseeable future". But with all due respect, if you were not factoring in certain delay when reading that message, you were being naive and certainly don't have much experience in managing / implementing complex projects. How many months or years have F-35 or Chandras Telescope been delayed for? Again, I wouldn't be a crying baby for reading too much into the intentionally vague timeline in the marketing lines, fortunately you are not talking about some weight management programs or pills.