Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, the snake is both critical for charging fully autonomous fleet cars in the 5+ yr future AND really useful ASAP for optimizing Superchargers by swapping cars. A category that doesn't exist yet but would be very useful is urban car park charging. Teslas regularly parked in a lot could share a few chargers instead of needing a dedicated charger for every slot. Moving around by themselves on private property at Superchargers/parking lots seems like a high priority early autopilot function. It would also be cool to watch.

The "snake" is a bit of show, though, isn't it?
What can the snake do that couldn't be simply performed by a standard industrial robot right now?

Glad you are still lurking around here - for the 200 page anniversary of this thread:smile:

Love the car, but I am getting a little upset - I am leasing for 3 years, and missed the Next Gen seats for 6 months, and the Autopilot for 9 months now....

On top of that, the supercharger in Minneapolis is still on the 2015 map, but I don't have great hopes on it happening.... I will need to buy a Chademo to get me through the winter trips without having to compromise on speed or cabin heating. Too many promises, and very few deliveries....
And May he be around another 200 more! Hurrah!

Pretty sure the reveal video said the exact opposite of this.

Time ~7:50 here:
Tesla Unveils Dual Motor and Autopilot - YouTube

"The good thing with the ultrasonics is they can see even soft objects. They can see sort of a small child or even a dog. They're very sensitive."

There's also the incorrect information about the speed at which the sensors will operate, which I've mentioned before, in that same part of the video. Musk explicitly states that the sensors will operate at all speeds, from 0 to 155 MPH. Yet most or all of the functions that rely on those sensors are now speed limited.

At 8:05, Elon Musk, still talking about the ultrasonic sensors: "And they operate at all speeds. So we're able to do this from 0 miles per hour to one hundred and fifty-five miles an hour. And...so...It'll detect if there's a car in your blind spot, if you've got a highway barrier on one side, if there's, uh, you know something you might, you know move into in any way possible."

Last edited by a moderator:
In Europe, blind spot monitoring stops at 140km/h and the TACC stops at 150km/h. I agree with keesmod, here TACC should fall back to CC and let the driver cruise at higher speeds. Did a few thousand km's through Germany this summer and not being able to use CC at higher speeds was a dissapointment.

Thought this was interesting:

In Wired's P90D review, the author describes lane keeping as if he actually used it (or perhaps a beta version of it):

In the meantime, the Model S offers adaptive cruise control that makes highway driving way more pleasant, and a lane keeping feature that steers you back if you start to drift out of your lane. That bit overcorrects, so if you take your hands off the wheel, the Model S will carom down the highway bouncing from one side of the lane to the other, Pong-style.

Or perhaps he was just describing how he thought it would behave. Interesting that he mentioned that it overcorrects--that leads me to believe he actually experienced beta lane keeping.

The "snake" is a bit of show, though, isn't it?
What can the snake do that couldn't be simply performed by a standard industrial robot right now?
VW did make a system with a standard industrial robot, but it takes up way too much space (much more than what is there right now for existing supercharger stalls, which is much thinner).
http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-develops-automated-quick-charging-e-smartconnect-wvideo/

Absolutely. A pair of motors on a 2D track plus a third to extend and retract would be fine, and probably far more reliable.

Not as funny with the "don't drop your keys" joke though.
I saw an automatic gasoline dispenser that uses a similar idea, but it takes up a lot more space and doesn't look like it can be used manually by a person (it's not like the above which uses an industrial robot, but rather it is a tracked system).

Last edited:
Thought this was interesting:

In Wired's P90D review, the author describes lane keeping as if he actually used it (or perhaps a beta version of it):

Or perhaps he was just describing how he thought it would behave. Interesting that he mentioned that it overcorrects--that leads me to believe he actually experienced beta lane keeping.

Maybe they just assumed it was on and were just bouncing down the highway between cars and barriers :tongue:

Maybe they just assumed it was on and were just bouncing down the highway between cars and barriers :tongue:

The pictures from the article show v6, so it didn't appear to be on the car they were testing. I guess he was projecting his past experience with lane keeping onto the Model S? If so, seems a bit disingenuous to make the statement as if he'd experienced it.

In Europe, blind spot monitoring stops at 140km/h and the TACC stops at 150km/h. I agree with keesmod, here TACC should fall back to CC and let the driver cruise at higher speeds. Did a few thousand km's through Germany this summer and not being able to use CC at higher speeds was a dissapointment.

They're probably concerned with drivers expecting mistakenly expecting TACC behavior when they are at those high speeds and it causing an accident. Meaning, the driver is driving along using TACC while the traffic is thick for ten minutes, then it opens up, he sets it for 100, gets a warning that it's just regular CC. Ten minutes later traffic gets thicker and the driver forgets that it's just CC now and not TACC (after all, chances are it's TACC 90% of time he uses the function) and by time he realizes the car isn't slowing down it's either too late or the driver panics. From a policy standpoint, I think it makes perfect sense not to switch back and forth mid-drive.

With that said, I do wish there was an option in the settings menu (only adjustable when in park) where you could toggle between TACC and CC. I'd want this for the many inclement days when TACC wasn't available due to issues with the camera. I'm sure they don't allow this for the same reason above, though.

Not holding my breath, but seriously we are now 1 month into the 1-2 months of EAP testing.

I don't think EAP testing has ever lasted more than 2 months. (very spotty information on that top secret program, of course...)

That said, the "D and something else" reveal event was October 9th, if I recall correctly. The one year anniversary of that reveal is only 25 days away, so (to quote wk057) I hope they get a move on!!!

It makes a lot of sense for the date of the X reveal to also demarcate the moment when 7.0 will be released on Model S.

I had picked September 20th, but that was before Elon's tweet about the 29th.