Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By "intentional" you mean the EAP has the permission from Tesla to post? I said a few weeks ago that Tesla is "managing" the leak to even non-AP cars to gauge the responses from the masses on the UI.:wink:

I wasn't convinced before, it could have just been a few non-EAP customers did accidentally get on the list, but there's no way they would let that "accident" repeat for the second EAP release!

From info I've gleaned from these forums it is apparent the autosteer has a nag feature.
I created a thread "Elon please veto your lawyers!" to voice my opinion. Here it is for this relevant thread:

I have test driven almost all the cars out that do lane keeping. I'm very familiar with the good and bad. I would never buy a car with the nag feature.
Infiniti and Audi do not nag. Volvo doesn't nag but their lane keeping was terrible.

I drove an Infiniti Q50 form Texas to California and the lane keeping made the trip much more enjoyable. The Q50 was great on straightaways but usually needed some help on the curves.

According to the 7.0 Beta Discussion thread the autosteer part of autopilot forces the driver to periodically grab the steering wheel.
This nag accomplishes nothing other than making car less safe to drive. It makes you take your eyes off the road to first read the nag notice and then find your way to the steering wheel to then apply just enough torque to turn off the nag.
Apply too much torque and autosteer shuts off causing you to further be distracted from the road to turn on the autosteer again.
It is much better to focus on the road and look for situations that you know autosteer might have a problem with and be ready to take over. My hands are always close by.
Forcing me to periodically grab the steering wheel is akin to forcing me to apply the brakes periodically.

I drove an Infiniti Q50 form Texas to California and the lane keeping made the trip much more enjoyable. The Q50 was great on straightaways but usually needed some help on the curves.

My experience with the 2015 Q50 is that is does NOT handle curves and it cancels with even the slightest turn. Did you experience something more than that? With hands on the steering wheel it would lane keep, but with hands off in the slightest turn it would immediately start to drift to the outside and then beep and cancel. I've driven I-10 several times and know there are long stretches of near perfect straight road so I'm thinking that is what you are talking about. Or maybe the Q50 that you drove had more assist.

My experience with the 2015 Q50 is that is does NOT handle curves and it cancels with even the slightest turn. Did you experience something more than that? With hands on the steering wheel it would lane keep, but with hands off in the slightest turn it would immediately start to drift to the outside and then beep and cancel. I've driven I-10 several times and know there are long stretches of near perfect straight road so I'm thinking that is what you are talking about. Or maybe the Q50 that you drove had more assist.

If I had clear continuous lines on the interstate it did fine. If I was in an outside lane and came to an exit it would dart towards the exit. I would guide it back and it would continue lane keeping without me having to turn anything on.
Unless it was a very slight curve I had to steer the curves. Another thing different about the Q50 is it steers by wire. When lane keeping the steering wheel doesn't move. All other cars I test drove the steering wheel moved. When the Q50 detected you turning the steering wheel it let you take over until you stopped turning the wheel. You never have to fight the system.

Last edited:
Beyond the mile high club... Autopilot club!
LOL Nice :)

As an aside, I don't think that I would trust ANY technology yet on anything more complicated than long straight interstates and gentle curves. To say nothing of the fact that I really *like* driving the car when it needs my attention. But to imagine that it would handle a curvy mountain pass, to me, would be quite a leap of faith. It's going to have to have about a million miles under it's vBelt before it'll get that vote from me

As an aside, I don't think that I would trust ANY technology yet on anything more complicated than long straight interstates and gentle curves. To say nothing of the fact that I really *like* driving the car when it needs my attention.

I agree. I, too, bought a car that I enjoy driving and having seen closeup what can go wrong with realtime control software, any use of autopilot by me would be under nearly ideal conditions during long road trips.

I agree. I, too, bought a car that I enjoy driving and having seen closeup what can go wrong with realtime control software, any use of autopilot by me would be under nearly ideal conditions during long road trips.

Well that makes all those of us (like me) that just missed the autopilot hardware feel a bit better. I keep telling myself I enjoy driving the car, rather than having it drive me, but I don't know if I believe myself.

I read this last night. Is it new news or old news?

Today, Cruise is announcing a $12.5 million series A round led by Spark Capital and Y Combinator’s Sam Altman, which brings its total funding to $16.8 million. They also just poached Andrew Gray from Tesla as vice president of engineering. Gray previously lead autopilot R&D at Tesla. Link to article http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/18/cruise-2/

Last edited:
Elon Musk yesterday when interviewed:
[..] The Tesla that is currently in production has the ability to do automatic steeren [autopilot] on highways. That’s currently being betatested and we are going to wide release probably next month. So we are probably only a month away from having autonomous at least for highways and for relatively simple roads.
Børsen Play

It's nearly there guys :rolleyes: Always just two weeks or a month to release.

He said "autosteer", that's how it reads on UI too.

Huh? From the quote above:

"[..] The Tesla that is currently in production has the ability to do automatic steeren [autopilot] on highways. That’s currently being betatested and we are going to wide release probably next month. So we are probably only a month away from having autonomous at least for highways and for relatively simple roads."

Typical Tesla marketing language. EM might be thinking this logic:
auto-steer (i.e. lane keeping) + TACC + Auto high-beam + emergency brake ≈ Autonomous driving in highway. But only if you stay in your lane with no lane change (not leak in v7) or freeway exit contemplated.

User initiated lane changing was promised. But not autonomous lane change.