Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Press Kit published, then pulled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the power meter...

We should probably start a poll: Tell me what you think the power consumption is for this image?

Model S Autopilot Press Kit | Tesla Motors
View attachment 97826

One guess...
- it's in the range (0, 75)kW [otherwise the UI is broken, IMO]
- if it's "somewhat like exponential", then it's in the range (0, 37.5)
- because it's orange I'm guessing it's in the range (30, infinity)

I'm going to guess 32 kW. If so, that would put the Wh/mi around 500 in the middle chart. So that's probably wrong.

Solving from 292 ... you get just under 19 kW. I would definitely not have guessed 19 kW from the position of the orange arc.

I've driven Model S since November 2012. It shouldn't be this difficult for a Model S veteran to read the display. Maybe I need more sleep.

You can't extrapolate from 292wh/mi average over the last X miles to instantaneous kw usage.

Nor from the last point in the graph, as it's still an average of some sort

Not everyone's obsessed with 5s and 10s. :tongue:

I am, though. It frustrated me the other day when I tried to engage it at 65 and got 64, then did the quick tap up to supposedly get a 1mph increase and it locked to 66mph. :cursing:

In AP cars under 6.2, TACC locks on the round 5s when you do full up or full down on the cruise stalk. So rather than +/-5, you get the closest 5. Thus, you could lock at 64 and do a full up to 65.

You can't extrapolate from 292wh/mi average over the last X miles to instantaneous kw usage.
Agree, but the location of the circle at the end of that chart is the best check you have against what you think the meter is telling you. No?

- - - Updated - - -

In AP cars under 6.2, TACC locks on the round 5s when you do full up or full down on the cruise stalk. So rather than +/-5, you get the closest 5. Thus, you could lock at 64 and do a full up to 65.
This was described before, but not what I've seen in my car.

Agree, but the location of the circle at the end of that chart is the best check you have against what you think the meter is telling you. No?

It's still an average, and considering the scale and fluctuations on that graph, I could easily see it being 32kw as you originally hypothesized.

He could have approached an incline/decline and his instantaneous kw changed, but not enough miles to affect his average wh/mi of that last pixel.

For those that care, this is why additional tic marks would be helpful.

My regular cruise works as traditional - roughly 1 and 5 mph increments. All four TACC cars I've driven work on 1 mph and closest 5 mph increments. Wouldn't your Sig work like mine though, in essence meaning we both are confirming the same scenario?
2 cars. I've never noticed the "sticky to multiples of 5" behavior in either car.

Mine does. Slight pressure up or down and TACC goes +/-1, hard up or down (almost like a click) and it's "sicky" 5mph
That's not what I meant by "sticky". "Snap" is probably a better word. I was referring to what Cyclone was talking about here:
My regular cruise works as traditional - roughly 1 and 5 mph increments. All four TACC cars I've driven work on 1 mph and closest 5 mph increments.

True enough, most points have been constructive, but man there are a lot of them!
Not really, I've only seen a very small handful, just repeated over and over:
1) don't take away the time and temperature, they don't take any space anyway, just leave them alone the way they've always been
2) the replacement for number 1 is hideously ugly and a huge waste of space, see point number 1 and forget about a clock/thermometer app
3) don't make us use up 1/3 of our screen for an instantaneous energy graph that used to be part of the central display
4) if you must change how the instantaneous energy graph is displayed, at least keep the same level of detail that the original had
5) keep an analogue speedometer

That pretty much sums up several hundred posts in a half dozen different threads. Not that hard to figure out what people want here.

And NOW on the blog they have zoomed in and are clearly not showing the whole display. Maybe in anticipation of returning the time and temp to the lower edge of the display? Or maybe just to see if we'd notice.... :wink:

EDIT: I see that the blog cuts off the picture only when you click on "view more" and see the entire blog post. False alarm....

This is the image currently displayed on the Model S front page - other photos had the temperature displayed next to the battery gauge, but it is not present in this photo :frown:

slide-dashboard.jpg

Mine does. Slight pressure up or down and TACC goes +/-1, hard up or down (almost like a click) and it's "sicky" 5mph
That's not what I meant by "sticky". "Snap" is probably a better word. I was referring to what Cyclone was talking about here:

To make sure there isn't just confusion on terminology, let me change the description. Everyone probably read what I said the way I intended, but I want to be sure.

This is my experience on my Classic S85, 4 other TACC-enabled (P85D test drive, S60 loaner, P85 loaner, neighbor's S85), and a P85+ loaner w/o AP cars running 6.2...
1 - Classic S85 & P85+ cruise set for 53 mph. Slight up goes roughly 1 mph to 54-55 mph. From 53 mph, full up goes roughly 5 mph to 57-59 mph.
2 - TACC cruise set for 53 mph. Slight up goes roughly 1 mph to 54-55 mph. From 53 mph, full up goes to 55 mph. From 55 mph, full up goes to 60 mph.

Is this second behavior listed what you experience Max?

That's what I meant, mine does that (unless I'm failing reading comprehension somewhere)

64mph slight up = 65mph
64mph hard up = 65mph

61mph slight up = 62mph
61mph hard up = 65mph

- - - Updated - - -

Is this second behavior listed what you experience Max?

Yes, the 2nd behavior is what I see. I didn't realize the pre-TACC was different.