Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot Q&A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I'm still a newbie had my Tesla Model 3 Standard Plus for 3 weeks now.

I've used autopilot but had some questions.
I don't believe I found anywhere that breaks things down to well.

I know them is a difference between, AutoPilot, Autopilot enhanced and Full Self-Driving FSD

I do not have FSD and don't believe Autopilot enhanced is an option any longer.

So I know you push down 2 times to get Autopilot.
At that point, you can take the foot off pedals and keep a hand on the steering wheel lightly.

No I know if you hit either pedal it will disengage the autopilot. How about if you just grab the steering wheel does it still control your speed or should you be ready to jump on the pedals when you grab the steering wheel as well?

When you have Navigation on, I've seen people on youtube where it changes lanes and even exits the freeway. I haven't driven a whole lot, yes but I have yet to see this but I am always getting off the same exit, again haven't driven it too much. I work way too much.

These are pretty basic questions and one that some driving would answer, I just haven't had a whole lot of time to test.

Pressing the brake pedal disengages both TACC and AP. Pressing on the Accelerator pedal just speeds up, doesn't disengage anything.

Flipping the right stalk up disengages both TACC and AP. To disengage AP without disengaging TACC, you can move the wheel until it disengages, or you can quickly flip the right stalk up and then quickly down once.

One of your questions is about Navigate on Autopilot, but I'm not sure how or if that's available with AP currently.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
No I know if you hit either pedal it will disengage the autopilot. How about if you just grab the steering wheel does it still control your speed or should you be ready to jump on the pedals when you grab the steering wheel as well?
AP and Cruise cancel when you hit the brake. Hitting the accelerator only speeds up the car, but doesn't disengage AP or Cruise.
Yanking the wheel will disengage AP, and switch back to Cruise.

tapping it down 2x it will control the steering, breaking, and acceleration.

if you step on the brake it cancels everything

if you grab the steering wheel you cancel autosteer but auto cruise control is still in effect

honestly for having it 3 weeks im suprised you dont know that allready:)

as far as full self driving that includes navigate on autopilot and whatever updates are coming in the future

Pressing the brake pedal disengages both TACC and AP. Pressing on the Accelerator pedal just speeds up, doesn't disengage anything.

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE CORRECTION TO ABOVE

When you press the accelerator with TACC and full AP on, the car will not slow down for cars ahead of it so you are effectively "disengaging" the safety aspect of TACC when doing this until you take your foot off again.

The car displays warnings telling you this when you do it too.

Reactions: tfraley
...I do not have FSD and don't believe Autopilot enhanced is an option any longer...

Correct!

...keep a hand on the steering wheel lightly...

I keep one hand on the steering wheel and hang my arm down lightly to apply counter torque in order to get the autosteer feedback so I can instantly and seamlessly correct the steering at any time.

...changes lanes...

That's the function and additional price to pay FSD to get Auto Lane Change.

Congratulations!

I know them is a difference between, AutoPilot, Autopilot enhanced and Full Self-Driving FSD.

Autopilot is the name of Tesla's driver assist system.

Right now, if you buy "Autopilot", you get two features:
- Auto Steer (the car controls steering to keep you centered in the lane)
- Traffic Aware Cruise Control (the car controls acceleration and deceleration to keep you moving with the flow of traffic. ie the car will slow down if the car in front slows down and speed up when the car in front speeds up).

Enhanced Autopilot is what Tesla used to call Autopilot from end of 2016 when they first launched the AP2 hardware to about Feb of this year I believe. Enhanced Autopilot included some now FSD features.

Enhanced Autopilot included the following features:
- Auto Steer
- Traffic Aware Cruise Control
- Auto lane change (the car will automatically make lane changes when you press the turn signal)
- Navigate on Autopilot (the car will follow navigation directions on the highway, take exits and auto lane change to pass slower cars)
- Auto Park (the car will park itself)
- Summon (the car can be summoned from the phone app but only forward or backwards a few feet)

After February of this year, I believe, Tesla decided to reorganize the features, moving all but Auto Steer and Traffic Aware Cruise Control over to the FSD column.

FSD, or Full Self-Driving, refers to the features that Tesla claims will eventually allow Autopilot to drive itself with no input from the driver.

FSD includes the following features:

Available now:
- Auto Steer
- Auto lane change
- Navigate on Autopilot
- Auto Park
- Summon

Currently in Early Access Testing:
- Smart Summon (the car can be summoned from phone app within 150 ft, moving forwards and backwards and steering itself left or right to come to your position)

Coming later this year (according to Tesla)
- Traffic Light & Stop Sign Detection (the car will recognize traffic lights and stop signs, stopping at red lights and stop signs and going at green lights)
- Automatic City Driving (the car will follow navigation directions on city streets, including navigating intersections and roundabouts)

Tesla has said that even when these features are first released, there will be a period of testing and validation before you can take your hands off the wheel. So FSD will not be hands off wheel right away. FSD will be able to drive in a lot of situations but will still require driver attention in the beginning.

In a nutshell: Autopilot is Tesla's driver assist system. Depending on whether you have the basic Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot or FSD, will determine what your Autopilot on your car is capable of.

If you press the accelerator, it will not disengage Autopilot. Pressing the brake pedal or tapping up on the gear stalk will disengage Autopilot. When Autopilot is disengages, you the driver must control all driving. If you turn the steering wheel, the car will downgrade to just Traffic Aware Cruise Control. So the car will not auto steer anymore but will continue to control your speed like adaptive cruise control.

When you have Navigation on, I've seen people on youtube where it changes lanes and even exits the freeway.

That is part of the Navigate on Autopilot feature that requires FSD.

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE CORRECTION TO ABOVE

When you press the accelerator with TACC and full AP on, the car will not slow down for cars ahead of it so you are effectively "disengaging" the safety aspect of TACC when doing this until you take your foot off again.

The car displays warnings telling you this when you do it too.
Thanks for that clarification! While I'm well aware of that, newbies definitely need to know this!

Autopilot is the name of Tesla's driver assist system.

Right now, if you buy "Autopilot", you get two features:
- Auto Steer (the car controls steering to keep you centered in the lane)
- Traffic Aware Cruise Control (the car controls acceleration and deceleration to keep you moving with the flow of traffic. ie the car will slow down if the car in front slows down and speed up when the car in front speeds up).

Enhanced Autopilot is what Tesla used to call Autopilot from end of 2016 when they first launched the AP2 hardware to about Feb of this year I believe. Enhanced Autopilot included some now FSD features.

Enhanced Autopilot included the following features:
- Auto Steer
- Auto lane change (the car will automatically make lane changes when you press the turn signal)
- Navigate on Autopilot (the car will follow navigation directions on the highway, take exits and auto lane change to pass slower cars)
- Auto Park (the car will park itself)
- Summon (the car can be summoned from the phone app but only forward or backwards a few feet)

After February of this year, I believe, Tesla decided to reorganize the features, moving all but Auto Steer and Traffic Aware Cruise Control over to the FSD column.

FSD, or Full Self-Driving, refers to the features that Tesla claims will eventually allow Autopilot to drive itself with no input from the driver.

FSD includes the following features:

Available now:
- Auto Steer
- Auto lane change
- Navigate on Autopilot
- Auto Park
- Summon

Currently in Early Access Testing:
- Smart Summon (the car can be summoned from phone app within 150 ft, moving forwards and backwards and steering itself left or right to come to your position)

Coming later this year (according to Tesla)
- Traffic Light & Stop Sign Detection (the car will recognize traffic lights and stop signs, stopping at red lights and stop signs and going at green lights)
- Automatic City Driving (the car will follow navigation directions on city streets, including navigating intersections and roundabouts)

Tesla has said that even when these features are first released, there will be a period of testing and validation before you can take your hands off the wheel. So FSD will not be hands off wheel right away. FSD will be able to drive in a lot of situations but will still require driver attention in the beginning.

In a nutshell: Autopilot is Tesla's driver assist system. Depending on whether you have the basic Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot or FSD, will determine what your Autopilot on your car is capable of.

If you press the accelerator, it will not disengage Autopilot. Pressing the brake pedal or tapping up on the gear stalk will disengage Autopilot. When Autopilot is disengages, you the driver must control all driving. If you turn the steering wheel, the car will downgrade to just Traffic Aware Cruise Control. So the car will not auto steer anymore but will continue to control your speed like adaptive cruise control.

That is part of the Navigate on Autopilot feature that requires FSD.

Thank you for that, it really clears thing up. Tesla made a mess of the naming and changes

Reactions: diplomat33