Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Model X and have a question about autopilot. When I test drove a Model S, I noticed that the autopilot only needs you to lightly touch the steering wheel when asked to make the message on the screen go away, which to me seemed like they have some sort of a capacitive sensor in the wheel to detect when hands are on the wheel, however on my Model X I noticed that the message doesn't go away when I put my hands on the wheel, even with both hands gripping at 10 and 2. I have to shake the wheel left and right to make the message go away or it will keep beeping at me louder to put my hands on the wheel. The shaking or pushing of the wheel left or right sometimes disengages autopilot which is annoying, also I have a problem with my horn (it only makes a "blip" sound, no sustained honk), so I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the wiring in the steering wheel.

Is this correct?

Whats your steering set at? I've found that it takes a stronger weight on the wheel with sport mode vs comfort. I think it's looking for more force as you would apply with the sport setting. Also you shouldn't have to shake the wheel. You just give it a slightly weighted pull, preferably in the direction you are autosteering anyways. But it's really just the weight of your hand hanging in one direction. Not the squeeze of the wheel itself.

Whats your steering set at? I've found that it takes a stronger weight on the wheel with sport mode vs comfort. I think it's looking for more force as you would apply with the sport setting. Also you shouldn't have to shake the wheel. You just give it a slightly weighted pull, preferably in the direction you are autosteering anyways. But it's really just the weight of your hand hanging in one direction. Not the squeeze of the wheel itself.

Exactly same here. it just needs gentle weight so it does not cancel autopilot. Resting hands on the wheel seems invisible without giving a gently push when prompted...

While I was use the autopilot on the drive from Fremont to Orange County, I was trying to figure out how the 'sensor' worked. I noticed that on long straight sections I would not get the warning, but when the turn need to make steering adjustments it will give me the warning.

This leads me to believe that there is no sensor in the steering wheel, but it is looking for a bit of resistance when it turns the wheel for you. If you have your hand on the steering wheel you will not be moving your hand at the same time and it would sense a little bit is resistance to turn indicating that you are holding on the the steering wheel.

Just my two cents.

I experimented with this quite a bit on a long trip last month. Clearly, the wheel does NOT respond simply to touch. I found that when the message comes on, just a little bit of pressure from my hand at the bottom of the wheel cancels the warning immediately. (I like to loop a finger of one hand around the bottom of the wheel anyway, so I just tighten my grip and apply gentle pressure.) It took a bit of practice,"steering" with autopilot--applying just enough pressure that the car seems to adjust its path a bit without turning off autopilot. Once it becomes second nature, you can get rid of the warning very quickly.

Reactions: Softwizard
I experimented with this quite a bit on a long trip last month. Clearly, the wheel does NOT respond simply to touch. I found that when the message comes on, just a little bit of pressure from my hand at the bottom of the wheel cancels the warning immediately. (I like to loop a finger of one hand around the bottom of the wheel anyway, so I just tighten my grip and apply gentle pressure.) It took a bit of practice,"steering" with autopilot--applying just enough pressure that the car seems to adjust its path a bit without turning off autopilot. Once it becomes second nature, you can get rid of the warning very quickly.

Then Tesla will push an OTA to change the dynamics and you'll need to re-adjust all over again. :confused:

• Disagree
Service advisor confirmed it is a torque sensor in the steering column/rack, not a pressure/grip sensor on the wheel. So you need to provide some drag/resistance on the wheel for the message to go away on the X.
I find that lightly gripping 10/2 usually cancels alert. I noticed that any action taken in steering will postpone or cancel the alert...such as lane change.

I find that lightly gripping 10/2 usually cancels alert. I noticed that any action taken in steering will postpone or cancel the alert...such as lane change.

How light? It doesn't take much to tell it "I'm here." I usually grab it with thumb and pointer finger and barely put any pressure on it and as long it's making any minor corrections to the road, it will sense the torque resistance.

And of course a lane change will cancel it, as you're over-riding "lane keeping."