Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot team changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it is your contention that Tesla lied in their court filing when they claimed that many of their AP engineers have said that they were approached by Sterling Anderson's partner while he was still being paid to run the AP program for Tesla?

You seem determined to downplay any impropriety here, like your false claim that there is only a onetime audit.

I'm determined not to pass judgment on situations where I am not aware of all the facts.

• Love
Reactions: croman
So it is your contention that Tesla lied in their court filing when they claimed that many of their AP engineers have said that they were approached by Sterling Anderson's partner while he was still being paid to run the AP program for Tesla?

You seem determined to downplay any impropriety here, like your false claim that there is only a onetime audit.

Tesla did not have to lie. "Many AP engineers" could equal 2. Or people's recollections might not be 100% accurate (shocking, I know). I agree with Bonnie that the effect of this action by Tesla to was that brain drain was kept to a minimum.

This isn't bean ball - both Tesla and Sterling potentially have billions of dollars at stake. Both parties are going to use whatever aggressive tactics they can get away with, whether than offends someone's sense of justice or not.

Chris Lattner's background didn't seem like a great fit for heading up an autonomous driving group. Creator of a programming language is freaking awesome (Swift), but I would think you'd have to be a world class neural network person to head up autonomous driving. And it seems the new hire is just that.
FWIW Chris Lattner had a lot of other achievements apart from Swift, which in itself is already a huge deal. He envisioned/designed a fundamentally new and superior architecture for writing compilation tools, and built a team around it that ended up being able to replace GCC on several major OS'es, which is no small feat. I suppose you could make a AP1 -> AP2 stretch in why he's a good fit for the role, but at the same time, that's a stretch.

He's very qualified for a lot of roles, it's just this one might not have been a good fit.

"
  • VP Autopilot Software
    January 30 - June 20, 2017
    When I joined Tesla, it was in the midst of a hardware transition from "Hardware 1" Autopilot (based primarily on MobileEye for vision processing) to "Hardware 2", which uses an in-house designed TeslaVision stack. The team was facing many tough challenges given the nature of the transition. My primary contributions over these fast five months were:
    In the end, Elon and I agreed that he and I did not work well together and that I should leave, so I did.

Overall I learned a lot, worked my butt off, met a lot of great people, and had a lot of fun. I'm still a firm believer in Tesla, its mission, and the exceptional Autopilot team: I wish them well.
    "
    Chris Lattner's Resume

Hmm. One thing that stands out is taking credit for silky smooth control and declaring AP1 parity: the update is still not rolling out wide as of his departure and I have not heard a single person describe any of the new improvements as better than AP1. I’m not sure who is the source of this delusion but now I’m really wondering if it’s Elon or Chris.

And advocating for rewrites is one of those things that doesn’t always work out in a large company..... Of course he may believe he improved things, but I’ve been through a few rewrites where the end result was less mature code with more bugs and a lot more upset engineers that their work was thrown out because of a difference of opinion in upper management.

EDIT: that and saying you’ve effectively stopped [regretted] attrition? Wow, it’s missing a few statements about solving world hunger and singlehandedly bringing peace to the Middle East.... some of these claims seem a bit grandiose to say the least.

Overall, of course, I'm being an Internet armchair commentator on a very qualified person's resume, yes, but this reads extremely pompously, and makes me wonder who is the true source of the delusionally dreamy descriptions of AP2. What I have in front of me I'd hardly describe the same way, nor call a success story or effectively parity. And now that he's shown the door, I don't understand why there's even a need to sugar coat any of this unless it really is what you believe.

Sounds like he and Elon ought to have gotten along better... :D

Last edited:
Yes, chillaban, you are being an armchair commentator. But ... I can't resist either :)

The resume is a bit naive in that he didn't have to spell out in such detail what he did. Isn't this the guy who built the Swift programming language among many other accomplishments at Apple? A more succinct resume would actually have more power. And this resume is potentially embarrassing for Elon and Tesla. "Elon and I agreed he and I didn't work well together" doesn't do either Musk or Lattner any favors. Any new employer is going to wonder what Lattner will say when he moves on from them in the future. Never ever malign your previous employer even if they so richly deserve it.

Regardless, you would think any company that needs to hire a software architect would be banging down Lattner's door right now. If he doesn't have five very high paying offers in a couple of weeks, I'll be very surprised.

• Funny
Reactions: chillaban
Yes, chillaban, you are being an armchair commentator. But ... I can't resist either :)

The resume is a bit naive in that he didn't have to spell out in such detail what he did. Isn't this the guy who built the Swift programming language among many other accomplishments at Apple? A more succinct resume would actually have more power. And this resume is potentially embarrassing for Elon and Tesla. "Elon and I agreed he and I didn't work well together" doesn't do either Musk or Lattner any favors. Any new employer is going to wonder what Lattner will say when he moves on from them in the future. Never ever malign your previous employer even if they so richly deserve it.

Regardless, you would think any company that needs to hire a software architect would be banging down Lattner's door right now. If he doesn't have five very high paying offers in a couple of weeks, I'll be very surprised.

Haha, hey, I believe it's a fundamental responsibility as a netizen to claim I can do anyone's job better than them :D

But yeah... I think overall the resume sounds rather pompous, and seems to take credit for an implausible amount of progress and undertakings over his 5 month tenure. And most of the bullet points would make AP2 owners who have sat through Jan 30 to now to sit back and scratch their heads trying to put 2 and 2 together....

I also agree that the "Elon and I agreed" comment did not need to be said on a resume, and that's probably why it was taken down. But as an AP2 owner I take issue with the person who used to lead the division, who at this point should no longer feel compelled to spin AP2 capabilities, describe AP2's capability and refinement in such exaggerated terms.

Regardless, what I think has no impact on the success of Chris and his amazing career and list of accomplishments so far. I'm sure he will find a better job that's a truer fit for him, and can take his time in finding the right match.

In the end, Elon and I agreed that he and I did not work well together and that I should leave, so I did.

Just to be clear, this line is not/ is no longer in Lattner's resume.

Chris Lattner's Resume

Never ever malign your previous employer even if they so richly deserve it.

Agreed. Fortunately that line isn't in his resume.

I also agree that the "Elon and I agreed" comment did not need to be said on a resume

That's because it isn't.

Takeaway: People can change their minds, but the internet never allows you to forget.
Corollary: If you want to hold a grudge, hold it online.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mblakele