Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot trying to kill me in V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, this looks quite bad. It is definitely doing something VERY dangerous. People who say that AP is not for local roads are wrong. AP works extremely well on local roads. I am on AP 90% of the time and mostly on local roads, streets, etc. It works REALLY well. Except in this case, which is very scary. I would complain to Tesla and submit this to them for investigation. This could have been a fatal accident.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
it's now tried to kill me 3 times

I'm going to suggest you see a psychiatrist if you think a non sentient object is trying to kill you.

I'd also suggest you let a cab take you there so hopefully your paranoia won't be triggered during the ride and you won't be the driver endangering others on the road.

You should probably not get behind the driver wheel of any car until the doctor says it's OK.

If it happens again, just send a 'bug report' from your car right at that minute so there is a log. Email/Call Tesla later to inform them of the issue. If I were in your situation I would not use it on that stretch of road if there is on-coming traffic!

I'm going to suggest you see a psychiatrist if you think a non sentient object is trying to kill you.

I'd also suggest you let a cab take you there so hopefully your paranoia won't be triggered during the ride and you won't be the driver endangering others on the road.

You should probably not get behind the driver wheel of any car until the doctor says it's OK.
You're so clever. You should be proud of yourself!

I initially posted that autopilot seemed to be behaving about the same as it did in V8 on local roads (have yet to test it out on the highway), with the exception that it does a much better job of handling slowing down for red lights. This remains true, with the exception that it's now tried to kill me 3 times, on the same road that I drive to work several times per week. I got a recording on the dash cam of one time when it did it.
The first time, I attributed it to a car that was about to turn right onto the road possibly being a bit in my lane (although I didn't remember the car being in my lane), causing the autopilot to think it was going to avoid a collision. However, the next time it happened, I was just driving along the road going straight, without any other cars in the area, and without any reason for the car to try to take evasive maneuvers. There were no upcoming turns and the lines were perfectly clear without interruption. The final time, which I've attached video of, I was coming up to an area where cars can turn onto the road, but there weren't any cars in the way, there were cars ahead making things very easy to follow, and the road is very clearly marked ahead. The swerve occurs at around 33 seconds.

I've driven this road for years with autopilot and I can't remember a single time it's done anything like this. However, it's now done it 3 times on V9 autopilot. Unless Tesla has come up with a dangerous way to assure you're paying attention, I can't figure any reason that this would be happening.

@slevit1md, thank you for posting this! Turning into oncoming traffic just because of a small gap in the double lines is a big technological regression IMHO.

Reactions: kavyboy and Matias
Don't know if it is automatic on all cars at all time, but I know that our Tesla's will operate in 'ghost mode' even when EAP is not activated. Meaning that they are using all camera's and sensors to learn the road at all time and improve the neural network ;)
This is one of the main strength Tesla have on the competition for collecting driving data and improving its AI.
Is there actually any evidence that the neural network advertised by Tesla exists, and that Tesla collects data from drivers to improve their maps and AP algorithms on an ongoing basis, or is this a marketing spin?

So I was finally able to get a video to back up my previous post. Somewhere in middle of 2nd page.

The previous time there was a truck heading right into me. This one no one. Hence I took the time to see what it did. Nothing. I finally took over.

Again. It works 99.9 percent on these type of roads. And the KEY POINT is that I've been doing this road for a year. Always on AP and it worked well but with the V9 it regressed. That's the crazy and scary part. We know it ain't perfect but you do NOT expect it to screw up something it used to do very well.

Also for comparison sakes. There are many many breaks in lines that are way longer and it does fine. Although sometimes swerved a bit but nothing like this.

And I have called, emailed, reported in car, to tesla and Nada. Just tried to call SC to see if they can force the 2018.42 upgrade but gold time is 40minutes!

Is there actually any evidence that the neural network advertised by Tesla exists, and that Tesla collects data from drivers to improve their maps and AP algorithms on an ongoing basis, or is this a marketing spin?

The shadow driving is of course mostly a bunch of triggers, not real NN learning which is done "offline", not in customer cars. But triggers are there to send some data and even video clips back to mothership. Here are some of the triggers in AP2/2.5 cars:
ap-abort
ap-disengage
ap-diseng-stalk-cancel
autopilot-finish
autopilot-trip-log
calibration-histogram-json
img-accel-intervention
img-backup
img-brake-intervention
img-curve-biased-slow
img-hwy-fork
img-hwy-fork-flicker
img-hwy-fork-prim-flicker
img-hwy-motorcycle-lsplit
img-hwy-motorcycle-pass
img-hwy-motorcycle-rsplit
img-hwy-multi-fork
img-hwy-rain-night
img-hwy-rain-night-fork
img-hwy-re-unstable
img-hwy-s25-50-close-15-cutin
img-lateral-intervention
img-lb-curve-shadow-ray
img-lb-gore-lane
img-lb-hard-curve
img-lb-hard-lanes2
img-lb-hwy-ego-merge
img-lb-hwy-wide-split
img-lb-intersection-lanes
img-lb-int-hwy-fork
img-lb-sharp-curves
img-lb-strong-shadows
img-lb-traffic-light
img-main-narrow-depth
img-nprim-fork
img-sensor-blind
img-split-curve
img-wiper-soft-fp
inertiator-pselect-timeout
self-calibration-json
starfish-trajectory
telemetry-finish
tempmon-overheat
vehicle-driven
wifi-connected

The separate NNs that run the AP2/2.5 system are also quite real of course. The NNs are discussed at length on the Autonomous Vehicles sub-forum:

Neural Networks

Well, we drove our 2017 MX (AP 2.5) up the coast on PCH for a few hundreds miles last week on Autopilot. We have 2018.41. There were lots of places that the lane line was broken for making left turn on the highway. I was kind of nervous every time I passed one and kept both hand on the steering wheel. Never once did the car try to go to the left or even try to sway. I was driving about 75 to 80 mph.