Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer not as good as Volvo, others?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model Y and a 2019 XC90.

Here are a few comparisons of their autosteer functionality:

1) prompts to show driver alertness are pretty annoying in frequency and randomness with Tesla, they have a more predictable frequency with Volvo.
2) tesla requires a wiggle of the steering wheel (not something i enjoy doing at highway speeds in heavy traffic) while Volvo you can just grip or tap the wheel
3) tesla gets close to concrete dividers (especially) and sometimes other adjacent vehicles, Volvo seems to do less drifting and pinging within a lane
4) Volvo supports micro adjustments if the driver feels the AP is getting too close to an object etc, tesla just flips out and exits
5) if you change lane with AP engaged, Volvo automatically re-engages once the maneuver is complete, tesla requires you to re-engage it (yeah I'm not buying into the pre-pay for FSD, they have a long way to go yet)
6) volvo AP works at whatever speed you want wherever you want, Tesla restricts speed based on its interpretation of local speed limits
Bonus comparison
7) maximum speed can be limited on tesla but you have to also have "chill" acceleration, why?! On Volvo you get an alert if you hit your max speed, you can independently set your acceleration/performance preferences.

I heard cadillac have a good system, anyone got a similar comparison?

I've looked into the Cadillac system and i'm not a fan. From what i've seen and read; they will only have autopilot on highways that have been approved by Cadillac While i'm sure they are expanding where you can use it, i've heard that if the car notices any changes, it will disengage. You also require an onstar account which will run a few hundred more per year just to have this feature available. As someone that owns a Cadillac (not with supercruise), I've never really found a use to have onstar past the free trial that comes with the car. Supercruise will probably give them a ton more subscriptions, but I don't think it should be required.

Reactions: tonybelding
Ironically, AP can be worse vs other driver assists in some areas because it's trying to do a lot more: pedestrian avoidance, crash avoidance, cut ins, traffic controls, speed limit signs, etc.

It's like me saying I like my old car's basic cruise control better than AP / TACC in some ways (I actually do).

I don't know how long you've had your car, but you'll get used to numbers 1-3.

1) prompts to show driver alertness are pretty annoying in frequency and randomness with Tesla, they have a more predictable frequency with Volvo.

You can thank the idiots that posted videos of no-hands driving from the back seat for this. Not Tesla’s fault.

2) tesla requires a wiggle of the steering wheel (not something i enjoy doing at highway speeds in heavy traffic) while Volvo you can just grip or tap the wheel

The steering wheel is looking for simple rotational pressure. By “wiggling” the wheel, sounds like you’re over correcting. Applying slightly more force to the wheel should be sufficient.

I ALSO owned a model s in every iteration AP1,AP2,AP3 and i currently have a 2018 XC90. Dont forget to leave out the part that the Volvo pilot assist doesnt function on S curves and will slam right into a wall or adjacent vehicle if the curves are too sharp and too close together.

the volvo does just as rock solid and is actively steering just as good as AP1 in straight lines and can handle some good turns, which surprises you. But i think thats because volvos system has the mobile eye chip? Not sure?

but the volvo system and AP can not be truly compared because autopilot will do whatever the hell it takes to stay in a lane using full control of the steering wheel range on ap2/ap3. As shown by when you take a corkscrew exit. Ap slows down and takes the turn. But still tries to stay within the lane lines and as most exits are a crap shoot, ap wiggles and gets fidgety.

I just sold my tesla and i dont regret going to the volvo and im glad im not constantly getting disappointed by promises and what not relating to FSD.

i was awe inspiring in 2015. But fundamentally there hasnt been any change and its all been overpromising and under delivering. Smart summon made that clear.

i will return and gladly pay the higher price when they crack FSD and we can sleep in the car.

Also will make the jump back for performance reasons when plaid comes out.

I have a model Y and a 2019 XC90.

Here are a few comparisons of their autosteer functionality:

3) tesla gets close to concrete dividers (especially) and sometimes other adjacent vehicles, Volvo seems to do less drifting and pinging within a lane
4) Volvo supports micro adjustments if the driver feels the AP is getting too close to an object etc, tesla just flips out and exits
5) if you change lane with AP engaged, Volvo automatically re-engages once the maneuver is complete, tesla requires you to re-engage it (yeah I'm not buying into the pre-pay for FSD, they have a long way to go yet)
6) volvo AP works at whatever speed you want wherever you want, Tesla restricts speed based on its interpretation of local speed limits
Bonus comparison
7) maximum speed can be limited on tesla but you have to also have "chill" acceleration, why?! On Volvo you get an alert if you hit your max speed, you can independently set your acceleration/performance preferences.

I heard cadillac have a good system, anyone got a similar comparison?

As to 2), I was somewhat aggravated by it also until I watched a youtube that showed if you grip the wheel with your left hand just to the left of the lower middle spoke on the steering wheel, you will never have to wiggle or toggle again. I have yet to receive a prompt to take any kind of action when I am even loosely holding the steering wheel as I just described!!

In 2018 there was this one release where I could pull the car to one side and micro adjust . But the feature was gone after a couple of versions after that. I truly miss it because it was then I felt the AP was at it's best. It also had less nagging etc.

Reactions: James Ge
As to 2), I was somewhat aggravated by it also until I watched a youtube that showed if you grip the wheel with your left hand just to the left of the lower middle spoke on the steering wheel, you will never have to wiggle or toggle again. I have yet to receive a prompt to take any kind of action when I am even loosely holding the steering wheel as I just described!!

I have a similar experience, but I find that I still have to exert a little extra pressure for an automatic lane change (FSD only).

My hypothesis is that my hand at the steering wheel exerts sufficient pressure to trigger the hand-on-wheel recognition sufficiently often, i.e. every couple of seconds, but not always. This is fine while driving in a lane, but when I indicate to start a lane change, my hand on the steering wheel may not be immediately recognized. This often leads to the dreaded lane change abort after 5 seconds, due to the Anti-Tesla regulations in Europe.

Americans don't have that unpleasant experience, I presume.

The workaround is to indicate and immediately steer a tad more strongly to any side.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and mikes_fsd
Oh good to know, will try that!

You can thank the idiots that posted videos of no-hands driving from the back seat for this. Not Tesla’s fault.

Thank "the idiots", and not Tesla's fault? So if I go to the official Tesla Autopilot page I'm not going to find a no-hands driving video claiming the driver's there for legal reasons only?

Say, specifically, if I enter this link: Autopilot , I won't find such a video right there on the first tab?

Surely I will also not find interviews of Tesla's CEO with the car driving itself with no hands on the steering wheel if I search them up, right?

Applying a slight bit of resistance to the auto steer's steering also works, but that is difficult on a straight section and also difficult not to apply too much force and turn it off. I have found that when my left knee is bent and is near the steering wheel, placing my hand that is, naturally on the wheel in between the knee and wheel usually applies just enough resistance. This works well for miles until I have to reposition the leg again. However, as a computer engineer, I do not yet trust auto pilot to work correctly 100% of the time. For example with parked cars on the side of the road. The computers are naturally programmed to ignore stationary objects, like road signs, bridges, guardrails, etc... Sadly, a car on the side of the road (or in the lane) qualifies as stationary and is usually ignored. That explains why the Tesla hit the police car that was mostly on the side of the road while the driver was "watching a movie". The car was simply positioned between the lane markings and dutifully stayed in its lane. The big heavy metal object sticking out in its lane was likely seen and ignored as a stationary object.

Thank "the idiots", and not Tesla's fault? So if I go to the official Tesla Autopilot page I'm not going to find a no-hands driving video claiming the driver's there for legal reasons only?

Say, specifically, if I enter this link: Autopilot , I won't find such a video right there on the first tab?

Surely I will also not find interviews of Tesla's CEO with the car driving itself with no hands on the steering wheel if I search them up, right?

I stand by my statement. You’re referencing marketing hype videos, forward looking statements, and Elon’s visions and hopes for the future. These have absolutely nothing to do with the “hands on the wheel” nag we have today.

• Love
Reactions: mikes_fsd
I stand by my statement. You’re referencing marketing hype videos, forward looking statements, and Elon’s visions and hopes for the future. These have absolutely nothing to do with the “hands on the wheel” nag we have today.

I'm aware that I'm referencing hype videos, but I fail to see how that excuses Tesla vs. "the idiots" who show the car driving itself hands-free. One can also certainly hype Autopilot by being ambiguous and misleading about its capabilities. Why How does it being a "marketing hype video" excuse ambiguity regarding the product's features? The fact that Autopilot is misunderstood so often should already, by itself, suffice to have Tesla change its approach to marketing it, because if one wants to argue that it's all because the public are idiots (not citing you here), then it stands nonetheless that that hypothetical idiocy should be accounted for in design and marketing.

Besides, I imagine many of these other hands-free videos are also "hype" videos in a way, not for Tesla, but for the publicity of the posters.