Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average age?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 will be my retirement car and along with solar panels will help me reach my goal of getting off Ontario's outrageously priced electric grid.

I have Solar City panels on the roof of my house to charge my 2012 Prius plug-in. Can't wait to plug in my T3 too! Solar panels work great, at least in Southern California. They work so well that the local electric companies are trying to figure how to charge you for the power they aren't supplying to you! The grid is a dying anachronism, just like gasoline stations. Long live energy independence!

I'm 50, yet still older than 50 because it is past my BD... I chose "over 50" just to represent the old farts better.

This will be our 5th EV since 2000 when the family started with an EV1.

My soon-to-be-driving daughter has assumed that my second MΞ reservation is for her. I bust a gut every time I think about that. :) Neat that so many teenagers actually know what this car is though!

Same here! Huge luxury vehicles are for old retired people. Us younger folks like the small nimble cars. :)

Yup, I'm a soon to be 50 year old track junkie that goes through "sports" cars every year or two... I really hope the Highest performance version of the Tesla M3(what I will get) will make me want to get rid of my "other" German M3, lol.

Im curious if anyone has started a poll to determine the average age of current M3 reservation holders? I keep reading articles saying the car is for younger people but I waited in line overnight at the Walnut Creek, CA store and to me most of the people there seemed to be older.
If the assumption you are making is older, affluent folks would be the ones buying the S and younger, less affluent folks would be buying the Model 3, read some of the threads in the various S and X forums. It's fairly obvious from the discussions there are a lot of young S owners who can buy $100,000 cars and based on the lack of sophistication of some of their questions it also seems pretty clear many of them are trust fund kids. It must be nice.

I wouldn't be surprised if reservation holders are older but once in production the average buyer is younger. The few younger folks I know interested in Tesla didn't line up for reservations, but do seem seriously interested and may very well buy one once they are in production.
I think the opposite will prove to be true. Some younger folks might have $1000 lying around for an impulse buy on a refundable reservation, but won't be able to go through with the payments on a $35k+ (plus taxes and delivery charges) vehicle.

Some younger folks might have $1000 lying around... but won't be able to go through with the payments on a $35k+ (plus taxes and delivery charges) vehicle.

I agree with this completely for the majority of people in my age group. Just to reiterate, im 26 y/o. However, the friends I have are financially responsible (or so it seems) and capable of such purchases. Been blessed to surround myself with hard working and ambitious people. No trust funds here.

It's hard for me to imagine where anyone got the idea that this car is intended to be for "younger people." At a base of $35K, with an expected median sales price of $42K (per Elon), this is still a luxury automobile. And although age may have SOME correlation to income, and therefore work to the contrary of a thesis that the car is targeted at younger people... what I think could be more fairly stated is that the car is targeted at a larger income demographic, irregardless of age. I honestly can't imagine the logic that might have directed the "this car is for the young" meme... other than perhaps ageism.

The only poll i've seen on this shows more than half (57%) of pre-orders being among those 35 years and older. I think that solidly refutes the notion that the car is somehow more appealing to youth. It's a lovely design that appeals to people of across a huge age range.

Reactions: RidgeRacerJM
I disagree. I think the sky is falling crowd came out in droves to save the Earth and reserved the M3 with cash they necessarily didn't have. I'm going to say over 25% of all reservations will go unfilled.

Given the way people in line and others are talking about or discussing their reservations outside of this forum (and the relatively significant dollar amount for the reservation), I doubt there will be anywhere near 25% unfilled reservations. Well... that is unless Tesla fails to deliver in a timely manner.

However, and perhaps I'm misinterpreting your comment, but I find it strange to read your disdainful "sky is falling crowd" label given that Elon would clearly be in that same "crowd" and that Tesla's often-stated purpose is to try to accelerate solutions to address our very real need for energy, transportation and climate sustainability.

I disagree. I think the sky is falling crowd came out in droves to save the Earth and reserved the M3 with cash they necessarily didn't have. I'm going to say over 25% of all reservations will go unfilled.

You mean the crowd that believes in science as opposed to propaganda bought and paid for by the Koch brothers?

I also like how you're "going to say" over 25% of all reservations will go unfilled. Of course, some people won't go through with their reservation but I bet the number doesn't top 10%. Your 25% number reminded of Sara Palin saying "the Obama-subsidized Tesla that turns into a "brick" when the battery completely discharges and then costs $40,000 to repair." Or Mitt Romney calling "Tesla" a loser. Just because you're going to say something, doesn't make it true...

Elon Musk Responds to Sarah Palin's Claim That Tesla Is a 'Loser'

Ouch: Romney Calls Tesla a ‘Loser’

Given the way people in line and others are talking about or discussing their reservations outside of this forum (and the relatively significant dollar amount for the reservation), I doubt there will be anywhere near 25% unfilled reservations.

I'd be surprised if it was as high as 10%. 2-5% would be my estimate. I see what happened, forgot to type in the dash to get the 25%.

Meh, I'll bite... Currently 31, started driving electric in 2012 when we replaced my wife's '09 turbo Jetta with a leased Leaf, replaced the Leaf when we ordered a Model S last year, and the Model 3 will replace our current secondary car (a '14 Accord Sport 6-MT).

Funny thing, though... The Accord replaced my NB Miata because having the Leaf for around town stuff and relying on the Miata for long trips kinda sucked. It wouldn't have been as bad had I kept my BMW M Roadster, but the Miata was a lot more fun to drive. The turbo Jetta was kind of a dual replacement of my '07 E90 BMW and my wife's old Volvo 240.