Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average Estimate Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

everydaychris

Feb 10, 2020
CA
Man these electricians in OC SOCAL are charging alot to install a wall charger! 300-500!

What were the average costs for you guys in the area? Also, if you have a recommendation on an electrician let me know or DM ME!

Our home should have a conduit for electric wall charger installation and the install is directly behind the breaker box outside so the cost shouldn't be that high right?

Also, I was planning on doing a 60 amp breaker with 4 gauge wire however one electrician said that 6 gauge wiring is the highest size you can install on the gen 3 wall charger.

One guy wants me to use 75A 6 gauge wire. But from the people here, I know even 60 is pushing it.

Is that true?

Thanks!

Attachments

• blQfgWVMFhVOMthKEaQFsQ.jpg
    blQfgWVMFhVOMthKEaQFsQ.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 265
  • fhYXMAe9huNnK6m68XPLxw.jpg
    fhYXMAe9huNnK6m68XPLxw.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 183
Also, I was planning on doing a 60 amp breaker with 4 gauge wire however one electrician said that 6 gauge wiring is the highest size you can install on the gen 3 wall charger.
That person is wrong. Page 4 of the wall connector installation manual says the connection lugs are for wire gauges from 12 to 4.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

One guy wants me to use 75A 6 gauge wire. But from the people here, I know even 60 is pushing it.
Neither of anything is "pushing it". Depending on what type of install you are doing, like inside wall or outside of wall in conduit, you choose different wire type, and based on that wire type, it has a certain temperature rating you need to use. If it is NM-B cable, (the stuff with multiple wires in a rubber sheath), then that has to use the 60 degree C rating. If it's individual wires in conduit, known as THWN, then that can use the 75 degrees C rating. Here's a table showing how many amps each gauge is rated for of each of these types of wire. Either is fine. You just make sure it has the proper rating for a 50A or 60A or whatever level of circuit you are doing.
Ampacity Charts - Cerrowire

That person is wrong. Page 4 of the wall connector installation manual says the connection lugs are for wire gauges from 12 to 4.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

Neither of anything is "pushing it". Depending on what type of install you are doing, like inside wall or outside of wall in conduit, you choose different wire type, and based on that wire type, it has a certain temperature rating you need to use. If it is NM-B cable, (the stuff with multiple wires in a rubber sheath), then that has to use the 60 degree C rating. If it's individual wires in conduit, known as THWN, then that can use the 75 degrees C rating. Here's a table showing how many amps each gauge is rated for of each of these types of wire. Either is fine. You just make sure it has the proper rating for a 50A or 60A or whatever level of circuit you are doing.
Ampacity Charts - Cerrowire
my boy rocky pulling through

Just wanted your final opinion as I am installing this charger soon. It's the gen 3 tesla wall charger.
It will be inside the garage and is directly behind the breaker box outside. It's a 2018 built home and they said they have a conduit installed for charging already.

If it was your home what would you do? 60 amp breaker with 4 gauge wire?

Thanks in advance

If the install point is right on the other side of the wall from your panel like you say, I don't think $300 is too much. $500 is a little up there if it is as simple as you're saying...Think of the electrician rolling the truck, scoping the work, getting tools and supplies out, doing the work, setting up the charger (max charge rate, wifi, etc.) or waiting while you do it, cleaning up, showing you the final install, testing your car, etc. What are you looking at, maybe 2-3 hours? I would pay $300 for that service...

Reactions: Rocky_H
If the install point is right on the other side of the wall from your panel like you say, I don't think $300 is too much. $500 is a little up there if it is as simple as you're saying...Think of the electrician rolling the truck, scoping the work, getting tools and supplies out, doing the work, setting up the charger (max charge rate, wifi, etc.) or waiting while you do it, cleaning up, showing you the final install, testing your car, etc. What are you looking at, maybe 2-3 hours? I would pay $300 for that service...
Got it! So 300 is reasonable. Thank you!

Just wanted your final opinion as I am installing this charger soon. It's the gen 3 tesla wall charger.
It will be inside the garage and is directly behind the breaker box outside. It's a 2018 built home and they said they have a conduit installed for charging already.

If it was your home what would you do? 60 amp breaker with 4 gauge wire?
This is where it's just determined by the wire type that decides what thickness you need. Let's say you want that 60A circuit. From the ampacity table linked above, you can check what size works for 60A. NM-B cable would have to be 4 gauge, but individual wires in conduit could be 6 gauge. If they have that conduit through the wall, then it's sounding like wire in conduit, and the 6 gauge would be fine. That's rated for up to 65A. It's a really short run, so you don't need to oversize it.

Reactions: everydaychris
Very similar to my install - took 40 minutes start to finish; $300 + $120 to handle permits. Seemed a bit expensive but that’s the going rate here (SoCal).

Reactions: everydaychris
Damn, Minnesota sucks. All quotes were 850-1100 or so. Though mine is traveling from the breaker to the other side of the garage.

Yeah, I thought $300-500 for Socal sounded pretty good. IMO electricians have definitely become more sophisticated and now base their price partly on perceived ability to pay. A Tesla wall connector is not the path to a good quote.

Last edited:
I got several quotes that ranged from 750-1200 (or so...forgot the exact high quote). I ended up getting the Tesla listed electrician to pricematch the lowest quote. My install required around 30 feet of conduit and wire to install the wall connector on the opposite wall from the breaker box, in the garage. If I were to install the connector right next to the breaker box, the lowest quote was $550 or $575, forgot which. So, I'd say $300 is really good!

Man these electricians in OC SOCAL are charging alot to install a wall charger! 300-500!

What were the average costs for you guys in the area? Also, if you have a recommendation on an electrician let me know or DM ME!

Our home should have a conduit for electric wall charger installation and the install is directly behind the breaker box outside so the cost shouldn't be that high right?

Is that true?

Thanks!