Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When people say 'reveal' what do they mean? specifically pre-reveal, before Elon Musk even had that rollout showing the M3? Geeze, that seems ancient at this point.
Yes. The Model 3 was revealed on the evening of March 31, 2016. The car could be reserved before that reveal, in person, at any of the Tesla locations around the world, during their business hours. So a "pre reveal" reservation means that somebody stood in line to plunk down the $1000 before the car was revealed. Musk was so amazed that people did that by the thousands, that he promised something "special." And that may have been some artwork that we were mailed. It may be the model car (that everybody seems to be out of, though I still haven't taken delivery!)

Why don't all you people who reserved months after me, configured weeks after me, and made edits days after me just kick me in the balls a few more times? o_O
Because they're all tired from kicking mine.

LOL. My guess it's location and config of the car. I suppose they would ship massive amount of cars to certain big cities. And if it happens to have one that match the config, then it's your turn. :)
Yeah, I keep hearing this. And yet... can somebody really have a location better/faster than mine, when I'm taking delivery at the flipping plant where they're made? And of course some of the configurations that are being delivered to other states... are the same as what I configured. And in many cases I both reserved AND configured before these new owners.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Yes. The Model 3 was revealed on the evening of March 31, 2016. The car could be reserved before that reveal, in person, at any of the Tesla locations around the world, during their business hours. So a "pre reveal" reservation means that somebody stood in line to plunk down the $1000 before the car was revealed. Musk was so amazed that people did that by the thousands, that he promised something "special." And that may have been some artwork that we were mailed. It may be the model car (that everybody seems to be out of, though I still haven't taken delivery!)

Because they're all tired from kicking mine.

Yeah, I keep hearing this. And yet... can somebody really have a location better/faster than mine, when I'm taking delivery at the flipping plant where they're made? And of course some of the configurations that are being delivered to other states... are the same as what I configured. And in many cases I both reserved AND configured before these new owners.
Thanks Darell! I've bought things, in the past, sight unseen. To my recollection, they never ended well. I substituted a M3 test drive for a Model S test drive as I was told the upgraded interior of the M3 was pretty close to that of the Model S except, as I recall, 2" narrower. However, it's 4" wider than the Prius Plugin Advanced I am trading in.

• Informative
Got my car today. Everything when smoothly. Didn’t get the toy will have to call about that. My 133 mike trip home netted me 212 wH per mile. Tried AP but with all the roadwork on I64 I didn’t keep it on.

Attachments

• F578A294-7B32-4509-BD74-E22FE23BB7E6.jpeg
    F578A294-7B32-4509-BD74-E22FE23BB7E6.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 87
Are people signing the final MVPA during delivery after seeing the car in person, or via electronic signature soon as Tesla sends it?

Gut says to hold off signing anything until I have key(card) in hand.
I didn't sign until I walked around and sat in the car. There was no rush (appeared to be no one else picking up while I was there).

Not AWD then?
Yup AWD!

• Informative

The sense I get is that they have way, way more activity in California (and specifically the Bay Area) than anywhere else, so the effenciency of not needing to ship it out of state is more than outstripped by the reality of them not having enough manpower (and likely even space) to handle all of the deliveries that are asking for Freemont. They are likely looking at when the cars coming off of the line can actually get delivered and that is causing them to go down the list further in other locations. Of course, much like everyone else... this is purely speculation.

Got my car today. Everything when smoothly. Didn’t get the toy will have to call about that. My 133 mike trip home netted me 212 wH per mile. Tried AP but with all the roadwork on I64 I didn’t keep it on.
Nice picture!
Is that STD black or obsidian?
Do you recall the firmware level? V9?
While you were using AP, how was it?
Anything else jump out as surprises?
Finally... congratulations!

The sense I get is that they have way, way more activity in California (and specifically the Bay Area) than anywhere else, so the effenciency of not needing to ship it out of state is more than outstripped by the reality of them not having enough manpower (and likely even space) to handle all of the deliveries that are asking for Freemont. They are likely looking at when the cars coming off of the line can actually get delivered and that is causing them to go down the list further in other locations. Of course, much like everyone else... this is purely speculation.

No doubt with the subsidies, gas prices and being the home team Cali has the edge in orders. Tesla rep in my community north of Atlanta indicated Atlanta metro has the highest amount of orders outside California. Might only be worth a grain of salt, but our Tesla gallery does already have three model 3s for test drives where as many Tesla galleries are waiting just to get one. Tesla just recently opened a service center here and I drove by to see at least 2 dozen Model 3 RWD awaiting delivery.

• Informative
I called Sales yesterday (1st time). She told me no update on my order but expecting something coming in a week. My screen has no edit button. Further inquiry to some friends working in Fremont, it seems like no AWD production for this week due to a hardware shortage but factory will expect > 6000 cars next week (not sure all M3). I really hope I would get calls for VIN assignment next week.

Reserved: 04/06/2016
Configured: 06/27/2018
Payment: Cash - No Trade In
LR AWD, Blue , 18" wheel , EAP

• Informative
Nice picture!
Is that STD black or obsidian?
Do you recall the firmware level? V9?
While you were using AP, how was it?
Anything else jump out as surprises?
Finally... congratulations!
MSM
I liked it, it wasn't as weird as I thought it would be. Used TACC more though.

Also listed as such in signature. Silver in the Avatar though... confusing! :)
Yeah, I am gonna update that, lol
Did you see any silver awd's in Charlotte? Wait you were Raleigh..?
I went to the Richmond VA store, closer to me than the Raleigh store.

This morning, I called Sales for the second time, for a "status check". We're still waiting for a VIN, but the rep agreed that it should be pretty soon given our reservation and configuration dates.

Reserved: 03/31/2016 during the "reveal"
Configured: 06/27/2018 at 11PM PDT or so
No trade-in, not financing with Tesla
LR AWD, Blue, 18" wheels, EAP, FSD