Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly, this has not been a positive purchase process so far. I also think they blew it opening the flood gates late July. I ordered 24hrs before that, but I see a lot who ordered after that and are getting their car long before me. I would never do another reservation with Tesla to be at the front. As long as they had a buyer for each car made there was no need and then only a small number of people would be contacting them to ask about the car they configured and if they have a VIN.

I also think people would be fine if they saw how the prioritization works. I notice no EAP on yours and have noticed that missing in a lot of non-delivered day one orders in the last few days. I don't have data to back me up on this but I have to wonder if that couple grand is being prioritized over the loyalty of people waiting two years for a car. I got my VIN today and I jumped a lot of people in line but I did order EAP and FSD. But if they just told us the P's come first, the upgraded everything comes next and then reservation holders it would at least help people understand instead of just feeling like they got the short straw.

That's really good J! I was thinking more a bar chart time series, but... I entered my data a third time. Here's a question. I am in CT (NE CT) I thought I'd be serviced through Dedham MA, an hour away. Nope, Mt Kisco, NY, 2 1/2 hrs away. So you ask location, last field on entry and whatever the other earlier entry was which I took as delivery point. Is there a meaning to each eluding me? Thanks for doing that btw...nice work!!
I'm on Day 54 post-order (not including the change to white interior). I'm outside of the average with no end in site. SUITE!!

Same here. With the addition of: Nobody else is really taking delivery. You can't believe what you read on the internet. Your order is moving along fine. Though we really don't know where it is.

Ah. So the blue paint booth *is* apparently working.

If they're almost through with the reservations, and this pre-reveal, line-standing reservation holder has ZERO information about his AWD order that was placed the moment it was available, then I guess I'm last.

Fast for those who are getting them... who did not wait in line 2.5 years ago... Yeah. :sigh:
Two hour RT drive. Two hours standing in line in a parking lot.
No car.

Fear not. I suspect they are getting through the list pretty fast and AWD seems to be the 2nd highest priority. I do recall reading that they prioritize people who don't trade in (they don't want the hassle) and those paying cash (for obvious reasons).

Reactions: TechSavvyWife
Fear not. I suspect they are getting through the list pretty fast and AWD seems to be the 2nd highest priority. I do recall reading that they prioritize people who don't trade in (they don't want the hassle) and those paying cash (for obvious reasons).
Not sure about the cash part. I'm paying cash and I'm in the black hole of info/progress.

You are correct; It opens a new window/tab.

So this is one of the URLs which ironically doesn't include your unique reservation #. It's a direct URL to:

https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/document-hub/show-document/order-agreement

I don't remember what the URL was when it was still a draft, but that's the URL where my final MVPA lives. Hope this helps!

Thanks @Kermee !!
I don't have one yet and I wondered if you typed in that URL if a final MVPA showed up. Kinda like the back door edit-design link. Unfortunately, it's the same URL that you get if you click the old order agreement link. So I guess we have discovered that if you don't have an MVPA link, you don't have an MVPA.

Reactions: Kermee
#1. I take delivery this Friday, 8/24. *Fingers Crossed*
#2. Most likely after an IDA either emails you or calls you to schedule your delivery. You might not be at that point yet and it's heavily dependent on who is assigned to you as an IDA. Some are better than others, unfortunately. That'll push the final MVPA for you to view which should include the VIN.

Me too, same date and place, I saw there was another AWD (but a black one) being delivered Friday on the spreadsheet, congrats!

Reactions: Kermee
Me too, same date and place, I saw there was another AWD (but a black one) being delivered Friday on the spreadsheet, congrats!

Thanks! Congrats to you too! — Looks like you were able to get the 19" Sport wheels. Very nice! — A friend who isn't on the sheet is picking up his on the same day. Exactly the same config as yours except with 18" Aero's.

Reactions: NetBrowned
I've never seen it confirmed. I'm gonna need *something* on there to bypass chain control when headed to Tahoe!
I wouldn't worry about needing a badge on the car to prove that you have AWD. If the people manning the chain control checkpoint don't believe that you have AWD, just show them the car's registration. Living high up in the SoCal mountains, it's been my experience that the chain control folks assume that most Tesla vehicles have AWD, as this has been the case in recent years. That may change with large numbers of non-AWD Model 3 cars on the California roads, but I still wouldn't worry about it.

I do sympathize with your long wait for your AWD Model 3. Try not to let it get to you. Once you actually get the car, the painful memories of waiting in the dark will fade quickly.

Our Model 3 order remains stuck in the "drafting your contract" phase. We are down one car and hoping we won't have to wait too much longer.

A couple of Tesla reps have confirmed over the phone that they've received all of the necessary information from us. We reserved on 2016/03/31 during the "reveal" and ordered late on 2018/06/27. The only thing that's slightly odd about our order (Blue AWD with 18" aero wheels, EAP, and FSD, with Cathedral City, CA as the delivery location) is that the car will be titled under our living trust, but from talking with a Tesla rep, it doesn't sound like this is a big deal.

Latest figures below (P/AWD Tracker). Yes, of the States with > 10 orders recorded, the ones with lowest Tesla responses are:
  • All the Canadian provinces - 0% VINs and Deliveries (again, not bitter. nope. not at all.)
  • Texas - 10%
  • Washington - 11.1%
  • Oregon - 12%
  • Michigan - 12.5%
The best with at least 10 orders are:
  • New Jersey - 53% VINs and Deliveries
  • Virginia - 44%
  • Florida - 42.4%
  • Maryland - 40%
  • Ohio - 40%
View attachment 327710
View attachment 327714
View attachment 327724

(n.b. For every 1 record there is a VIN + a Delivery, so the max would be 200%. Might have to revise how I represent this, but some orders have a VIN, some have a Delivery date, and some have both. Guess I could do an OR() to show that better...)

Michigan being the lowest isn't that surprising as you can't buy a Tesla here so many of us who are living in Michigan put our pickup location in the spreadsheet.

• Informative
Reactions: jkirkwood001
My edit button went away and asked me to fill my loan application yesterday. This morning, my My Tesla page got a quote back just like everyone with the same 3.59% rate. I didn't want to bother shopping for another loan, so I accepted it. I just got an email from a Tesla ISA asking to confirm everything and pick a day for delivery.

Reservation: online 6/7/2016
Config: 6/27/2018 (Est delivery Sept - Nov)
Made changes: 8/2/2018 (Est changed to Oct - Dec)

Loan application available: 8/13
Loan approved and accepted: 8/14 morning
ISA email contact: 8/14 4pm
Vin: Assigned, after asking the ISA in the email. She sent it to me: 5YJ3E1EB5JF066XXX
Delivery location: Manhasset, NY
Delivery dates to choose from: 9/10-9/15

Long Range AWD, Pearl White, Standard everything else, EAP

EDIT: Added VIN#

I chose my delivery date to be 9/11 on 8/15. Just got a call today from Tesla telling me my car should be ready next week. So, I'm picking it up next Wednesday 8/29. :)

Latest figures below (P/AWD Tracker). Yes, of the States with > 10 orders recorded, the ones with lowest Tesla responses are:
  • All the Canadian provinces - 0% VINs and Deliveries (again, not bitter. nope. not at all.)
  • Texas - 10%
  • Washington - 11.1%
  • Oregon - 12%
  • Michigan - 12.5%
The best with at least 10 orders are:
  • New Jersey - 53% VINs and Deliveries
  • Virginia - 44%
  • Florida - 42.4%
  • Maryland - 40%
  • Ohio - 40%
View attachment 327710
View attachment 327714
View attachment 327724

(n.b. For every 1 record there is a VIN + a Delivery, so the max would be 200%. Might have to revise how I represent this, but some orders have a VIN, some have a Delivery date, and some have both. Guess I could do an OR() to show that better...)
Aren’t all these numbers just too low to be statistically significant?

Exactly, this has not been a positive purchase process so far. I also think they blew it opening the flood gates late July. I ordered 24hrs before that, but I see a lot who ordered after that and are getting their car long before me. I would never do another reservation with Tesla to be at the front. As long as they had a buyer for each car made there was no need and then only a small number of people would be contacting them to ask about the car they configured and if they have a VIN.

The flip side here is if we believe what they have said publicly, they were not expecting such a surge in the AWD numbers. By opening the configurator, Tesla can batch and produce what people are actually looking for.

It may seem unfair that people are "jumping the line", but if they hadn't opened it and the RWD version was still being produced at a 75%+ clip, we'd all be waiting longer and anyone with RWD would be able to hop into line.

It's definitely not perfect, and I totally get where people's frustration comes in - my car has a new thing go wrong with it each time I drive it, I'd like mine sooner than later - but I get their strategy, and it likely has sped up deliveries for us all, even if it doesn't seem fair.