Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, "very small" is not really a factual assessment, and I make no guesses as to Tesla's motives. I am merely commenting on my perception of reservation holders reporting vins. And while there may only be a smaller percentage of P3Ds being produced week over week, you can count me out of the list of faithful who believe those who never reserved and ordered June 28 or later will see their AWD cars delivered this year. For all the talk of Tesla making 5-6k per week, I do not see evidence that Tesla is delivering cars at that rate.I do not think it is safe to assume 5-6k deliveries per week, and I do not think we can safely assume that there are only 50,000 AWD reservations for Tesla to get through.

I also think Tesla may (and should) start delivering AWD cars to Canada (and perhaps elsewhere) as soon as it works its way through the US early reservation holders. These foreign reservation holders should have priority over 2018 reservation holders and non-reservation holders who recently purchased. Anyone who waited until 2018 to reserve should have no expectation of a full $7,500 tax credit. Just my opinion.
To be brutally honest, while not a day 1 reserve, I was a 2017 reserve. I'll stand by what I said re: PAWD : AWD ratio. My best educated guess... 1:10. As for what one sees here AND in the spreadsheets. Initially, with the 2016 reservations, lots of interest, lots of initial motivation. Now, 2 1/2 years later, not so much. I can't speculate on percentage, CJ of the original spreadsheet told me maybe 2% are active on here. Consequently what we're seeing a a really small fraction of the movement in Freemont. Rather than being a forum hound (I'm here too) call a showroom, talk to a sales person, ask how many cars get delivered per day/per week. I guarantee it is WAY higher than what you see on here.

They are clearly prioritizing the P cars and filling very few AWD cars. It appears plenty of 3/31 and 4/1 reservation holders still waiting.

I do believe once production stabilized and they get through the backlog the LR and SR AWD/DM cars will be the sweet spot and make up the overwhelming majority of orders.

Right now Tesla is prioritizing P since it is their highest margin vehicle.

All I can say is that i was # 3 on the line on March 31st in Brooklyn, N.Y and took ownership of my model 3 AWD 2 weeks ago. Feel very lucky and love the car.

I believe they prioritize P to any one that will order it. If you think about it, it is 100% profit compared to AWD. They are essentially just sorting motors and picking the top performance ones for the P. They have already bought these motors for the AWD/RWD cars. Then they simply unlock the performance in software. If they do not sell enough P versions those motors will end up AWD/RWD anyways. Your AWD could have a "P quality" motor in it for the front or rear motor and you will never know.

Essentially you are paying $9k more to jump to the front of the line and get a software change (and better binned motors).

The optional $5k enhancement package with better wheels, brakes, pedals, lowered suspension, etc. is a different story.

I also suspect that the P3D could go much faster if they wanted it to, but they lock it down in software to make sure they continue selling the much higher profit model S.

Maybe next year if Tesla needs some cash they can sell Ludicrous upgrade mode for the "P" version and "unlocked" for the AWD version. They could claim they will cover motor burn out or something from the higher power to justify the fee... Maybe 2.9 secs for the P and 3.7 for the AWD unlocked... Much closer but still not as fast as the S....

• Disagree
  • Helpful
Reactions: webdbbt and KJD
I believe they prioritize P to any one that will order it. If you think about it, it is 100% profit compared to AWD. They are essentially just sorting motors and picking the top performance ones for the P. They have already bought these motors for the AWD/RWD cars. Then they simply unlock the performance in software. If they do not sell enough P versions those motors will end up AWD/RWD anyways. Your AWD could have a "P quality" motor in it for the front or rear motor and you will never know.

Essentially you are paying $9k more to jump to the front of the line and get a software change (and better binned motors).

The optional $5k enhancement package with better wheels, brakes, pedals, lowered suspension, etc. is a different story.

I also suspect that the P3D could go much faster if they wanted it to, but they lock it down in software to make sure they continue selling the much higher profit model S.

Maybe next year if Tesla needs some cash they can sell Ludicrous upgrade mode for the "P" version and "unlocked" for the AWD version. They could claim they will cover motor burn out or something from the higher power to justify the fee... Maybe 2.9 secs for the P and 3.7 for the AWD unlocked... Much closer but still not as fast as the S....

I thought people had decided that the RWD and M3P share the same rear motor (higher powered) and the AWD has a lesser powered front and rear motor combo. (M3P has the front and higher powered rear motor.).

But I do hope that the earlier AWD models get some M3P features due to factory streamlining, incl a higher powered rear motor (if true).

My X is an early production model 3/2016, and it has some features that weren’t supposed to be on there (auto spoiler, full tow package, etc).

• Informative
Reactions: TechSavvyWife
If you placed order already, only the destination will go up by $200.
Having just switched to the P model It does not look like the fee increased. it shows $1200 on the website instead of $1000, but the purchase agreement they sent me a PDF copy of still shows $1000.

So the only thing that sucks is that it's an $11000 jump for the P model. You lose your early configure discount of $1000 to get up to the AWD.

Also it looks like my delivery date will move forward, but I'm not 100% when I would have gotten the AWD.

Site says by October 18, where before it said Sept-November.

I thought people had decided that the RWD and M3P share the same rear motor (higher powered) and the AWD has a lesser powered front and rear motor combo. (M3P has the front and higher powered rear motor.).

But I do hope that the earlier AWD models get some M3P features due to factory streamlining, incl a higher powered rear motor (if true).

My X is an early production model 3/2016, and it has some features that weren’t supposed to be on there (auto spoiler, full tow package, etc).

Even if that’s true, they could still add speed to the P3D and uncork the AWD. Both motor configs are limited by software.

They did it in the S 90D.

The motors in the AWD and P are identical parts numbers as far as we know.

After spending hours mauling this decision I finally decided to add white interior.

The things that pushed me over the edge were confirmation that my doc fee would not increase (this is accurate) and they fixed the glitch so my delivery window doesn't scare me by changing (this is also accurate, I changed and stayed sept-nov)

So now I am MSM + White interior! So excited!!! I have always clearly loved white from the early reveal days to the first time I seen it in other Tesla. I just talked myself out of it for different reasons. No more, I'm going in and getting what I want. White it is!

After spending hours mauling this decision I finally decided to add white interior.

The things that pushed me over the edge were confirmation that my doc fee would not increase (this is accurate) and they fixed the glitch so my delivery window doesn't scare me by changing (this is also accurate, I changed and stayed sept-nov)

So now I am MSM + White interior! So excited!!! I have always clearly loved white from the early reveal days to the first time I seen it in other Tesla. I just talked myself out of it for different reasons. No more, I'm going in and getting what I want. White it is!

Me too! I literally just changed my order to white interior after wavering for weeks. I’m Red with white interior, and 19” wheels. I was relieved to see that my delivery window stayed the same also.

I just did this. They send a link to your phone; you take pictures from front quarter, rear quarter, full side, and full width dash interior. Also picture of registration. Takes a day and ISA got back to me with quote, which was fair. However I found a buyer so will not need to trade in.

So they actually give you a firm trade-in offer without physically inspecting the car?

I was told not only VIN but final MVPA as well. Having the purchase agreement presupposes the VIN. And, you are about a month out from VIN->driveway. Pretty much what I was also told and you're only 2 states away, right? regardless...congrats on the new wheels!
Thanks wcorey, right back at ya, congratulations! Just another month longer, you’ll have to let us know when your delivery date is

Thanks wcorey, right back at ya, congratulations! Just another month longer, you’ll have to let us know when your delivery date is
I am hopeful I will have it in first two weeks of Sept for a mid Oct delivery...I hope that's outside. I am, ideally, hoping for it this week or next. After wednesday a miss is as good as a mile as it relates to my drop dead date for financing this thursday.