Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called in again, and this time the rep told me that I have a Delivery Advisor assigned, but no VIN. He said it typically takes about 6 weeks from DA assignment to delivery, so that puts me well past my lease-end date for my current P90D :( He didn't have any estimates regarding the timeframe between DA assignment to VIN assignment though. (and wouldn't/couldn't let me know who my DA is)
That's weird that he didn't tell you who your DA was. The rep i spoke with volunteered my IDA's name. She let me know i didn't have a VIN

I got to thinking last night about the anger over Tesla and reservations and changes. If you had gone to your Chevy or Ford dealership and ordered a car of a specific configuration, there would be a deposit. That's not an interst free loan, it's a processing charge. If you went back a week or month later to change your configuration, they'd laugh at you. If you wanted your deposit back, they'd laugh harder.If you wanted a change, you could relinquish your order and order a new car but that would restart the clock. I've special ordered specific configurations. If you change your mind, your deposit is gone.

You also would have no idea what car they are/would be making 1-2 yrs out, and no access to order or have priority to that car. Good or bad? Also would likely not have the “build up” or have a forum like this to give us anxiety over someone in another state etc getting their car before you.....there could be 10 people in MI who ordered after and got their vehicle first and you’d never know?

Reactions: S5S5G6
Lolno. At least not with Volvo, where I custom ordered.
I had 2 subaru’s and also a BMW that were custom ordered and all were given small 2 week windows at time of order and nailed them. It can be done by other manufacturers. Heck Tesla will probably soon outsell both companies in the U.S. too, so they can’t use size as an excuse. However, I do think the over critical inspections people do with Tesla would find lots to complain about with other OEM’s too.

You also would have no idea what car they are/would be making 1-2 yrs out, and no access to order or have priority to that car. Good or bad? Also would likely not have the “build up” or have a forum like this to give us anxiety over someone in another state etc getting their car before you.....there could be 10 people in MI who ordered after and got their vehicle first and you’d never know?
This is 100% the issue they have created. There is visibility into customer deliveries, but none into the process of delivery decisions. I wonder if they better explained it to us if we would be more tolerant of it.

Ask for refund if you feel that way. Waited 2 years for mine. Very happy
Does this mean you have your car already? If so you are just trolling here and would likely feel differently in our position.

Anyone know whether using the backdoor edit design link hurts in terms of delivery date? We're right up against 4 months being the end of the full tax credit and I'm waffling on changing to white from MSM. Given that people using the regular email change method have had +/- experiences with hearing anything after submitting the email, I wonder whether doing it through the backdoor link is actually better since it'll be in the system.

Thought about it, but it'd just add too much to my monthly payment. They're not leasing model 3's yet, which is too bad (I put very few miles on my cars and love to stay on the bleeding edge with tech.) I barely use 50% of what my P90DL offers as it is...

They will... I checked in with US Bank, and they'll extend up to 6mos, and it's apparently a quick and painless process. Unfortunately, my registration is also due at the same time, and that would be nearly $900 (a year) for one or two months of use.

Does anyone know the ballpark timing between Delivery Advisor assignment and VIN?

I was exactly two weeks from advisor to vin and 3 days to car pickup in Fremont. May make sense to rent a car for a few weeks?

• Informative
Reactions: sbtz
They're already scheduling deliveries for late September. People who aren't contacted by an IDA in the next week or two are likely not getting their cars until October.
This is also my sobering realization... Was hoping for a September delivery because I ordered so quickly. I think we are in Tesla's awkward, teenage years. Beyond the pimples, it'll mature into a strong, intelligent, smooth operation... "it's just a phase".

...This is 100% the issue they have created. There is visibility into customer deliveries, but none into the process of delivery decisions. I wonder if they better explained it to us if we would be more tolerant of it....

I totally agree.

I suspect they don't tell us because they need to continuously make arbitrary decisions about which to sell to get the highest profit (short term business goal), regardless of individuals' priority sequence or geography - overlaid by what configurations they can build quickly / have parts for.

Forecast scheduling is incredibly complex - that's partly why Japanese and eventually Detroit went to JIT (Just-in-Time), pull "Kanban" system. But I believe Tesla's supply chain - internal and external - is not reliable enough, so I expect they produce in fits and starts and mesh scheduled production with JIT = pretty messy and unpredictable.

It a while to become an efficient major manufacturer!

This is also my sobering realization... Was hoping for a September delivery because I ordered so quickly. I think we are in Tesla's awkward, teenage years. Beyond the pimples, it'll mature into a strong, intelligent, smooth operation... "it's just a phase".

Makes sense. The customer service reps sure are salty. Must be hormones.

I'm in Bend and I noticed on the edit design page if you view page source and search it shows delivery at 97702 pickup center, which is weird since there currently is no such thing and I live in 97701 zip code...I think they are planning to open up a service/pickup center very soon here.

Cool we should meet up in Bend once we get our 3s! I checked my page source and searched for 97701 and 97702, and there was nothing. Then, I searched for Portland, and it showed this:
"Delivery Appointment at ##place##","Title":"Portland-SW Macadam Avenue","Address1":"4330 SW Macadam Ave","City":"Portland","State":"OR","Postal":"97239",

So, it seems I'm set up, for now, for pickup at the Portland delivery center.

Anyone know whether using the backdoor edit design link hurts in terms of delivery date? We're right up against 4 months being the end of the full tax credit and I'm waffling on changing to white from MSM. Given that people using the regular email change method have had +/- experiences with hearing anything after submitting the email, I wonder whether doing it through the backdoor link is actually better since it'll be in the system.