Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got an email offering me a pickup in Fremont any day from Sept. 26 to Sept. 30. This is at the early end of the date range. (The range was mid-Sept. to mid-Nov.) I suspect it is because I can do a Fremont pickup. They can get a car off the production line right at the end of the quarter and sold right away with no shipping delay.
I got offered pickup in Cleveland in the Sept 23-Sept 29 range, so probably not, actually. This was especially surprising to me since I just ordered a few weeks ago (reservation holder, but that doesn't seem to matter any more) and my date range was (and still is) Oct-Dec. I declined, I'm holding out for having them deliver the car to me here in Michigan instead of having me road trip to Cleveland. But it all makes a little more sense now that I realize it's an end-of-quarter push.

Even though I have a delivery date scheduled, my design page is still the same and I can still edit my design. My guess is there is either enough inventory or confidence in production that they can schedule deliveries two weeks out with confidence a VIN can be assigned by then.

Here is the latest on my delivery saga. The good news first: We have the car!
After two consecutive delays, one because the car wasn't there yet and one because they were working to get the backup camera operational, I called this morning to confirm that our delivery was still set for the afternoon and that the car was ready. That was confirmed.

We showed up for our delivery and although, a different delivery associate, was very apologetic, the car was still being worked on, still the rearview camera. It would likely be tomorrow before the car was going to be ready. We asked for a loaner and received one (non-tesla). We ended up going out to dinner (not celebrating) and right as we are ready to leave, I see the notification that a software update was completed and the car now showed in the app. I noticed that they must have moved it and they had just plugged it in to charge. The service center closes at 6pm but the delivery people work until 7:30 he had told me. I called them back and indeed the car was done!
They squeezed us in with another group and we ended up driving out in the M3 an hour later.

The car is so much fun and so different than the Model X. Everything other people have said. Much more nimble and corners very flat. We have the 18 Aeros (which look pretty good with the Red I think). I did notice, in "spirited" cornering, that it might need bigger / different tires . The autopilot is almost calibrated (it shows a little growing circle around a steering wheel). Hopefully it will complete in the morning.

At home I noticed it didn't come with the phone cables. They would have been the wrong ones anyway but at least I would have something to trade. I might stop by and ask them about it tomorrow.

Our 5-year (turned into 7+) plan to be carbon neutral from a home and transportation point of view has finally been completed with our home being fully solar powered and both our cars being electric and powered by the house, most of the time.

So apologies if this has already been talked about here, but I did try to search for it.

I got an email from Tesla - Delivery Scheduling Advisor today who stated my M3 would be ready for pickup but gave no time frame or delivery location. About one hour later I got another email apologizing for the "brevity" of the previous email and gave the missing specifics of delivery between Sept 30 and Oct 7 and my local pickup location. I immediately responded to the email asking if I had a VIN assigned and also asking for the first available day and morning time frame. I then decided to call the 800# to see if they could get me the VIN sooner than an email response. The lady on the phone told me I had no VIN assigned and asked for the details of my email. Once told to her she responded that it must be a glitch! A glitch? She then asked for the name of the DSA and after learning the name said that she had others that had had the same issue with this particular DSA. She said she would have them contact me as they were not available at the time for her to contact. I have had no response to the emails as yet.

Has anyone else had this happen?

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I too received email today from a DSA named Adam - given window from 9/18 to 9/25 - set up appt for 4pm on 9/18.

Non-owner
Reservation 4/9/16
Order initially placed 7/20 - changed a couple of times thereafter to:
LR AWD MSM Black Interior Aeros PUP EAP FSD

Interesting that there was such a flurry of these emails today - wondering how many of these deliveries will go off as scheduled.
Appt time has been reflected on my order page - but still not able yet to enter trade-in info or finance info.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
P3D MSM/White 18" Aero delivery scheduled September 28 in Devon, PA. Current Tesla owner.

Feb 23, 2018 - Reservation.
Apr 6 - Invitation to configure.
Aug 1 - Test drive
Aug 2 - Configure and order. No loan, no trade-in.
Sep 4 - VIN assigned, number not known. Called sales number to ensure referral code is on the order, then asked for current status. Informed there is a VIN, Inside Delivery person assigned. Very cordial and cooperative call.
Sep 5 - Inside Delivery person called. We agreed on September 28 at requested location - Devon, PA. Also cordial and cooperative. He offered to find a way to schedule delivery sooner, I declined. Explained that, as eager as we are to have the car, we want Tesla people to have the time they need to provide quality that satisfies them as well as my wife and me.
Sep 5 - Confirmation email from Inside Delivery person.
Sep 6 - Started to assemble funds for purchase.

I can imagine that many orders are in limbo. Could be sitting in a queue assigned to an overloaded Inside Delivery person, or to one who left the position before touching that order. Suspect my call jarred our order loose - Sales escalated or reassigned the order.

My wife will be the P3D's primary driver. Test drive confirmed features she misses in our S100D:
- Adjustable shoulder belt
- Adequate and usable interior storage
- Smaller, easier to park
- More tossable (nimble, sporty) than the S.

I'll get the S100D. I telecommute frequently, will share it with our daughter's family nearby. She has a long drive to work three days a week, the S will be safe, comfortable and lower energy cost. They're installing an HPWC, eliminating frantic scrambles to squeeze a gas station visit into an overloaded schedule. I'm starting to work out coverage with our insurance agent.

Last edited: