Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think everyone in here needs to just chill out. I can understand the frustration with changing dates and times. I am sure it is hard to hear a date and then get worked up only to be disappointed when it changes. But we are talking about a matter of a couple of days or a couple of weeks. Yes we all want the car now but that’s not gonna happen. People canceling the order just because of a couple days difference or a bad experience seems a little over reactive to me, especially for reservation holders. That’s their choice but it must mean they don’t really want the car. In fact, please cancel your order if you are a blue/black with 18 wheels.

@wcorey

Why do you believe this?
Several reasons
They are pretty clear VIN is given out only days before delivery. Why...I don't know except to avoid having to reassign VIN for any reason. <- that's a guess.
So I've given this a lot of thought and I think I understand what is happening. As I, and others have reported, Tesla has changed their execution practice, and if I am correct, for the better. Prior to now progression was largely serial, you knew where you were in the process because there was a single queue starting with reserving, configuring, scheduling, ordering, manufacturing, shipping, delivering.

There is no longer a single queue, rather multiple queues and your car is being handled in overlapping parallel queues. For instance, my car is in transit to the east coast. However the paperwork is not done, no trade-in allowance, no precise cost at delivery, etc. Why, because the time it takes to ship the car by train cross country is way longer than the time it takes to appraise the car, assign a vin, do the paperwork etc.
This is why they hired those 3 or 4 executives a month ago, to streamline the process. This is also why there is a rash of people getting their deliveries scheduled but have no answers to all the other questions that used to precede shipping.
Depending on whether it works for Tesla and the states involved, I think I can take delivery in MA and have the sale transacted in NY. Because I haven't heard from my delivery adviser I cant nail down what will happen in 2 1/2 weeks. Do I want to know? Sure, do I need to know now, actually nope. This same dynamic applies to everyone else whining and threatening to change their order. This is why to disable the change order button, because they don't want people materially changing their order.
But, bottom line, this is how Tesla will deplete their backlog. This is how Tesla can quickly transition to the $35,000 M3. They aren't in business to make our lives pleasant. They are in business to make their stockholders lives pleasant. With the model 3, Tesla's business model radically changed from building a selling boutique cars, how many initial Roadsters, Ss and Xs have been sold, 100 a week? I don't actually know but it's a low number. That changed by orders of magnitude once they announced the M3. It'll change again once they announce the SR no frills M3. Tesla did not scale up rapidly enough to gracefully handle the LR M3. It's called growing pains and there will be round 2 in a few months. It may well be the pain we're feeling now is them working out the kinks to get a functioning delivery system for handling the customer base for a $35,000 vehicle.

• Disagree
Reactions: TechSavvyWife
I called the Tesla main number yesterday to correct some errors. I filled out a wrong DoB (stupid mistake on my end), and also needed my driver's expiration date corrected as I got a new one. Also canceled my trade-in, as my tax savings were minimal and didn't want it to cause delays.

The lady on the phone was extremely nice and helpful. While they cannot make any changes themselves after the order is handed over to a DA, she connected with Logan (my DA) through an internal chat because she felt it was important to correct my DoB asap with only 7 days to go till delivery. While the DA's seem generally too busy to respond to many of our emails because of bandwidth problems (for which I think we should not blame the individual DA's), he did respond to this Tesla employee within a few minutes. He then made the changes. It strikes me as inefficient to do that trough another person, but perhaps it saves the DA's the typical chit-chat. Who knows...

Anyway, he also shared, again through chat, that he's typically reviewing information & generating contracts about 4 days before delivery and will do mine as well in a few days as we're getting closer to the delivery date (the 20th for me). VIN's are no longer assigned beforehand but matched up as late as possible in the process. Apparently, they had many people who couldn't get their paperwork done in time for one reason or another, and that left them with lots of assigned VIN's for people that they couldn't deliver the car to. So they are now trying to get as much wrapped up contractually, and assign the VIN as late in the process as possible.

I think the information above has been confirmed by others too, but I know there's still some nervous folks here so perhaps understanding the new process takes away a little of the delivery stress.

Anyway, I got all my information corrected and reviewed it during the call. I'm now in the drafting contract phase and will probably hear back a few days before delivery.

Last edited:
What you are saying is that folks with reservations gave TSLA a ~2.5 years interest free loan on $1k?!
That's typical with a new product, cost of doing business. Customers had an opportunity to wait until all the supply chain issues and delivery issues and staffing and training were worked out, or...get in early. I preordered my Norton Core, I preordered 2 different Software Defined Radios, Amateur radios. They all wanted deposits which they used to defray out of pocket production ramp costs. Interest free loan? If you chose to look at it as such, that's precisely what it was. It's easy for someone to say sure I want one of those. It's harder to say I want one of those and I will back that (potential) inebriated whim decision with a sizable prepayment. IOW, they wanted serious orders not "sure, why not, no cost to me, I can always change my mind" orders.

could friend go there and talk to someone? If I were some of you, I would’. Take the new push for the 2 colors to order and get my car in 2-4 weeks. It has to be ordered by Friday
I don't think the responsibility to track down someone at the Tesla factory, to solve this problem, should fall upon the buyer. It seems like a matter of poor training and bad management to not return phone calls / emails when two scheduled appointments have been missed.

No, different people for me. I guess I got lucky in the fact that my DSA forwarded my response on the initial scheduling email to my IDA. It was then my IDA that responded to indicate that my appointment had been scheduled. I then asked about this issue, but it took a few days to get a response (that ended up not being helpful). My DSA has never responded to me (I asked her the same question I asked my IDA). I got an email from the DSA even after my initial reply from the IDA, but it looked like an automated message telling me to be sure to complete my profile, etc.

I just called Tesla and talked to a very helpful associate Shawn regarding pending changes to financing info. He couldn’t change the info for me but tried to reach my IDA and left him a message for me. He also said I do have a VIN :) 0975xx and sent me “updated” MVPA. I put that in quotes because I don’t see any difference between what was already available in my account. Am I supposed to get MVPA that includes this VIN ? Is final MVPA “signed” by someone at Tesla ? My CU (DCU) is asking for a purchase agreement that lists the dealership and signed by the seller.

Reactions: ConcordeSST
I just called Tesla and talked to a very helpful associate Shawn regarding pending changes to financing info. He couldn’t change the info for me but tried to reach my IDA and left him a message for me. He also said I do have a VIN :) 0975xx and sent me “updated” MVPA. I put that in quotes because I don’t see any difference between what was already available in my account. Am I supposed to get MVPA that includes this VIN ? Is final MVPA “signed” by someone at Tesla ? My CU (DCU) is asking for a purchase agreement that lists the dealership and signed by the seller.
Those are questions for your IDA. There is a final MVPA that does list what precise car you are buying. That will come a few days prior to delivery.

So I got my VIN for my DBM/DM/White/Aero/EAP - looks like I was wrong, VIN 998XX so I'm guessing this sucker was built this month or at the very tail end of August.

I had previously bet that with less than 24 hour turn around from when I made my change from black to white interior the VIN and getting the final delivery call from Tesla it would be an older one.

If you didn't want it, why get it? People who think that's the latest from the entrails is wrong. Everyone who reserved (as in before end of June) will get their cars in the next 6 weeks. Is it worth spending $5,000 on something you don't want, to try to get advantage in line.
I ordered 8/16 with no EAP. Delivery scheduled for 9/30. Day 1 reservation and live in the Bay Area though.

Ah that makes sense -- so it could be built, on its way, it's just not assigned to me.
For instance, my car is on a train destined for Dedham, MA. My page, while edit is gone, still shows me I am in step 1 of their multi-step to delivery (under the Prepare for Delivery circle i for info. I have a delivery advisor assigned, a date assigned but that isn't reflected on my order page. Multi queues and the car's on it's way and other queues will sync up over the 2 1/2 week transit time to Dedham. So, there is a date "certain" 2 1/2 weeks out +/- . What I know is the other stuff will fall in line over the next 2 1/2 weeks. The fact they are shipping it to a place that can't legally sell it to me is...interesting, but not insurmountable. All the paperwork can be done in NY, but delivery in MA. A bit slight-of-hand perhaps.

Ah that makes sense -- so it could be built, on its way, it's just not assigned to me.
That’s the idea. Instead of assigning you a VIN at the start of production and then going through the hassle of making sure that exact vehicle gets shipped to you, they just have to make sure one matching your options is where it needs to be before your appointment. Probably sidesteps a huge logistics headache at the factory not having to ensure that one specific blue car out of potentially hundreds that were produced that day gets on a specific truck.

There’s a lot of fear, uncertainty, and doubt (all warranted, I get it) about the delivery order here. Maybe we can shed some light on what’s going on by thinking about the problem from Tesla’s point of view.

If what we’ve heard is true that they’ve at least temporarily stopped prioritizing based on reservation/order date, are batch manufacturing, and batch delivering to locales to maximize profit before the end of the quarter, then it stands to reason that your delivery timetable is currently based on two factors:

1. The number of orders in your locale with the same or very similar configuration

2. That your mix of #1 + relative logistical ease of delivery is more advantageous than another locale

If they make a batch of White / AWD / 19” Tires / Black Interior tomorrow, their goal would be to find the most logistically beneficial locale with a minimum number of orders of that configuration. They load up a transport, contact those with orders to prepare for delivery, and then assign one of the VINs from the shipment. Done. Next batch on deck.

If you look at it with that lens, it’s easy to see that the Fremont event last weekend was exactly as described above, albeit with less transport logistics involved (across town rather than across state lines = even more efficiency).

I looked at the data in the tracker to see if this could be verified, but the sample sizes and disparity in configurations in single locales make it almost impossible to find the pattern.

tl;dr - The tendency here lately has been to believe that there is no order to any of this, but it is far more likely that we don’t have enough data to see the pattern and it is actually about how many likeminded individuals with the same configuration are in your area.

I can believe everything you said and do, but that doesn’t change the optics from those who have waited patiently and are new to the Tesla brand and family. It’s eroding a lot of that cult following they have in my opinion. Customer loyalty and satisfaction is important and shouldn’t be dropped entirely, unless of course Tesla is in bigger trouble than they let on.

I just want explanations as someone who’s dropped $3,500 on a car I don’t yet have, radio silence (and differing stories from clueless sales associates) is unacceptable.

/rant

For instance, my car is on a train destined for Dedham, MA. My page, while edit is gone, still shows me I am in step 1 of their multi-step to delivery (under the Prepare for Delivery circle i for info. I have a delivery advisor assigned, a date assigned but that isn't reflected on my order page. Multi queues and the car's on it's way and other queues will sync up over the 2 1/2 week transit time to Dedham. So, there is a date "certain" 2 1/2 weeks out +/- . What I know is the other stuff will fall in line over the next 2 1/2 weeks. The fact they are shipping it to a place that can't legally sell it to me is...interesting, but not insurmountable. All the paperwork can be done in NY, but delivery in MA. A bit slight-of-hand perhaps.
I called Mass. and asked them about the fact I was in NY. They immediately moved me to Mt. Kisco and started the reroute. But I lost my delivery date and am waiting on a new time in NY. :(
But I have a VIN and it’s on the train. :)

I think everyone in here needs to just chill out. I can understand the frustration with changing dates and times. I am sure it is hard to hear a date and then get worked up only to be disappointed when it changes. But we are talking about a matter of a couple of days or a couple of weeks. Yes we all want the car now but that’s not gonna happen. People canceling the order just because of a couple days difference or a bad experience seems a little over reactive to me, especially for reservation holders. That’s their choice but it must mean they don’t really want the car. In fact, please cancel your order if you are a blue/black with 18 wheels.

Trust me, if I was in your position and had an IDA and was submitting trade-in/financing information, I would be chill because I’d know the car was coming.

Right now, I can’t gaurantee that, especially while others continually get their cars before those with 2016/17 reservations in my own locale.

Reactions: neroden