Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Easy for you to say. I'm losing sleep over this o_O
And I get that, I do. (Had to switch to desktop...hate typing on a tablet).
The so-called back door was someone who didn't understand how the http protocol (the p is for protocol) works, found the redirect url and got sexually aroused over what they thought was finding the magic kingdom. No! In HTML you can have control buttons and hyperlinks to transfer or initiate workflow next steps. When, for any given user, they disable the hyperlink ("Edit configuration") it's not by accident. The software/workflow modeling where your order is in the system blocked updates. To circumvent that just raises havoc in the orderly production line. It made matters worse.
If one can get on the Tesla site and bring up their reservation, that means they actually HAVE a reservation or order. For the people that ordered in July 18 or later, do you show an RN number? Just curious.
My considered opinion. This forum is a mutual commiseration society. I mean that kind of in a good way as misery loves company. But there is a down side, it raises the level and angst of WTF. What further raises the angst is when people say, I have a date for delivery, I just took delivery and ordered yesterday. I believe those who ordered in the last 9 months don't have a complaint..unless their car is being sent to the wrong place. For those who ordered 2 1/2 yrs ago, yes, they have a valid concern that nobody else on here can sooth. I think the best thing they can do, if they haven't already, is call the 888 number listed on their order page and have whoever answers check the information and see if there are any flags or missing information. And maybe take a vacation from this site as it only exacerbates the pain and angst.
Anyway, my 2 cents. And, yes, I realize that doesn't help much with the 'what about me' issue. However, we all get it, and empathize for those waiting 2 1/2 yrs and have no clue where they are in the system.
Another suggestion: wait until middle of month 2 in your 3 month window to start the calling process....by way of managing expectations.

I think that's anecdotal. I'm providing evidence. I don't think it's "invalid".
Whatever... you could call and confirm. But if you prefer not to....
Several people have said in very close language, they were told by Tesla, "we have a different SOP now and VINs will not be given out until within 2-7 days of delivery". That's not me making *sugar* up, that what tesla is telling people. You aren't providing evidence, you are providing historical reference to something that has changed in the last few weeks. I'll take a wild guess people who have taken delivery aren't here anymore and those that are, fall under the 2-7 day rule. I am not trying to be argumentative, statistical relevance requires understanding the validity of the data. They used to give out VINs as cars were going into assembly (vin has to be stamped on stuff) so not releasing VINs until final week prior to delivery does not mean there is none, just they aren't giving them out. Why? that's beyond my pay grade.
FWIW, I was one of those people told 'final week'. So you are doubting something you haven't directly been told...only you can fix that. ASK.

You haven't actually taken statistics, have you?

Last edited:
I have delivery on 9/22 and just received a call from the IDA this morning. I asked for the VIN to get insurance ahead of time and was told he'd send it to me 5 days before the delivery. They don't want to give you a VIN and then have to change it if something happens.

Reactions: wcorey
I have delivery on 9/22 and just received a call from the IDA this morning. I asked for the VIN to get insurance ahead of time and was told he'd send it to me 5 days before the delivery. They don't want to give you a VIN and then have to change it if something happens.

Your delivery center almost certainly can get this for you, call them up, give them your RN and ask them if you can please get your MVPA. Your MVPA should have your VIN if you are 8 days out from delivery.

I'm scheduled to pick my M3 up next Wednesday but have yet to be assigned a VIN# and need it to finalize my financing. Is it normal to be 3 business days away from pickup without a VIN? I called my local Tesla this morning and they didn't have my VIN# yet and were supposed to call me back but haven't. Getting nervous that my car won't be ready for Wednesday....

Your delivery center almost certainly can get this for you, call them up, give them your RN and ask them if you can please get your MVPA. Your MVPA should have your VIN if you are 8 days out from delivery.

It's more me being curious what the VIN is, I can get insurance in 5 minutes after getting the VIN. I don't need to bother them.

I'm scheduled to pick my M3 up next Wednesday but have yet to be assigned a VIN# and need it to finalize my financing. Is it normal to be 3 business days away from pickup without a VIN? I called my local Tesla this morning and they didn't have my VIN# yet and were supposed to call me back but haven't. Getting nervous that my car won't be ready for Wednesday....
According to Tesla, yes it's normal. According to a few people having not spoken to Tesla, no it's not. Keep in mind Tesla wants to sell you that car as much or more than you want to buy it. Perhaps one of the reasons Tesla stopped giving it out early is too many buyers refused delivery of their car because it had a small scratch or some other trivial reason.

Reactions: Deal
If one can get on the Tesla site and bring up their reservation, that means they actually HAVE a reservation or order. For the people that ordered in July 18 or later, do you show an RN number? Just curious.

Yes, Revserved 6-2017; ordered 7-2018; Have RN number.

Yes, Revserved 6-2017; ordered 7-2018; Have RN number.
No, what I meant was for those people configuring a car without having reserved it, July 2018+, what does it show in their Tesla.com page RN?????? or something else? In other words, my contention is, even though strictly speaking they didn't reserve it they have a reservation number anyway such that reservation date = configuration date.

No, what I meant was for those people configuring a car without having reserved it, July 2018+, what does it show in their Tesla.com page RN?????? or something else? In other words, my contention is, even though strictly speaking they didn't reserve it they have a reservation number anyway such that reservation date = configuration date.

Ok, can't help you there, but I am curious as well.

Reactions: wcorey
According to Tesla, yes it's normal. According to a few people having not spoken to Tesla, no it's not. Keep in mind Tesla wants to sell you that car as much or more than you want to buy it. Perhaps one of the reasons Tesla stopped giving it out early is too many buyers refused delivery of their car because it had a small scratch or some other trivial reason.
That, in no way, implies you get a car with a scratch. Of course not. They take it to a body shop and fix it good as new. Anyone thinking that Ford, Chevy, Kia, arrive prestine are deluding themselves!

Reactions: Deal
My update:

AWD/Blue/White Interior/19"/EAP/FSD/Trade-in

Config: 7/14/18
Reconfigured to blue with white interior: 8/6/18
Contacted: 9/11/18 (phone and email)
VIN assigned: 9/11/18 (may have been inadvertently sent via email)
Scheduled delivery: 9/27/18 (Houston)
Spreadsheet updated

I suspect delivery could become delayed given that I'm in Texas, but it seems they want to get as many delivered as possible before the end of quarter. First contact was via phone (Las Vegas number) and was then followed-up via email.

What is nice is the original pricing held true. When I reconfigured in Aug, it showed the new higher pricing for AWD and paint, but now it shows pricing based on the original config date.

8/9/16 reservation
6/27/18 Config
7/2/18 changed color
7/29/18 added FSD
9/10/18 called (for the 19th time) and was told I have a VIN (I’ll believe it when I see it!)

Sept-Nov delivery, backdoor edit is non-functional, no VIN listed online

Non-Owner/Non-Employee
DBM/Black/AWD/19”/EAP/FSD
Long Island, NY

The person on Monday said I’d hear something or see a change in the website in 72 hours... 4 days later and nada

I called in August and a young lady said my delivery advisor was named Eric and I’d be hearing from him soon

Then at the beginning of September a young man said I had a delivery advisor named Lauren.

Sometimes I wonder if these guys spin a wheel when we call them and give us random information.. it’s like everyone is just making it up as they go

Reactions: neroden
210 pages and it’s finally going south.

giphy.gif

Hmmm, I assume people with the money to afford one of these cars has the brains
How on earth does money equate to "brains?" That's one of the most narrow-minded comments I've heard in a while. And there are plenty from which to choose!

My DA refuses to give me.my VIN. Scheduled for delivery on 9/20 and he says I won't see it to 5 days before delivery
My Scheduling Advisor (I don't yet have a DA yet at nine days out) has said not to expect a VIN until two days before delivery.

a) It's virtually never too early to get the funds together.
Assuming that you have nothing better to do with the money. I've had my "funds together" since the moment I thought that my deliver was imminent. Three months later, I'm still not sure what my total is, nor exactly how I'm going to fund this thing.

You can get your VIN 1+ week out from delivery by calling the delivery center where you will be picking the car up - call them directly - and tell them you want your MVPA.
Even though I started a glossary, I'm having trouble with a definition for MVPA. I'm gonna guess that A=Advisor. And yet, I've got nothing else.

How does one find the phone number to call the Fremont Delivery Center directly? Certainly Tesla hasn't provided me with this.

210 pages and it’s finally going south.
It has been WAY off to the west, and WAY off to the east. Just seems fair to have it go south. Now... what's the common denominator in the whole "south" thing? Hmmm?

• Funny
Reactions: neroden and Deal