Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG, I was told Spencer no longer works for Tesla. He was supposedly assigned to my order but never contacted me and no one could find him in the system.
No wonder he no longer works for Tesla.

Tesla seems to have hired a lot of deadwood employees who went MIA. It's actually good that they're getting fired. Hopefuly you'll get reassigned to some hardworking young woman who will do a good job (such as several people have reported recently).

I was supposed to have delivery tomorrow at 10am. DA emailed me Friday after weeks of silence that a VIN would be assigned 2 days before delivery. Last night, no VIN still. This is nuts! What a mess of a system. I have been in contact with my delivery center and they told me yesterday I DON'T HAVE A CAR. That one is not assigned - with less than 48 hours to scheduled delivery. The center rep also told me for some lucky folks like me I get a car assigned IF one that happens to be on the delivery truck matches my configuration. She then offered me a RWD that they had sitting on the lot. I ordered a AWD and already have a cashier's check in my hands. WTF! Then late last night I got the cut and paste response text message and email from a new Delivery Advisor that says: "I have an update on your vehicle and I'm really sorry to inform you that there is a delay in transportation with your Model 3. It will not be ready when we originally expected for your delivery appointment. Unfortunately, we have to remove you from your current scheduled delivery date and will reach out to you in the next few weeks, closer to the date the vehicle will be ready, to reschedule your delivery appointment. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience." This is a lie. There is no delay in transportation because my car was never produced for my order. This was verified by delivery center. It's a total crap shoot. My name and "Model 3" in the message were italic...pretty sure a auto generated bs response message. I was such a huge Tesla fan but this delivery process has left a sour taste. Leading customers on with poor communication, and waiting until the very last minute to cancel is just unacceptable. This is not the customer service experience I was expecting from Tesla or the kind of treatment one would expect from a luxury car company. Especially when paying $60,000+ of hard earned cash. It feels very wrong.
Yup

While I am looking forward to my delivery date, I am completely expecting something like this to happen until I actually drive off in the thing.

Yup

While I am looking forward to my delivery date, I am completely expecting something like this to happen until I actually drive off in the thing.

At first I was impressed: towards the early end of the delivery window we got a call suggesting our car was ready and could be picked up next week. Then a few days later they called and said actually the car wouldn't arrive on the east coast in time so we would have to push the delivery back a few days. Never heard back from either Tesla rep that called again. Still no quote on our trade-in, and we're paying cash for everything else. Multiple emails and calls to our delivery rep go unreturned. It's been several weeks from our original scheduled delivery date that was being pushed back "a few days".

We're still within the original quoted delivery window when we configured, so I'm not going to raise too big a stink. But this is pretty frustrating. We experienced the same thing when we took delivery of our Signature Model S in 2012 and it seems like nothing has improved in six years. It might have actually gotten worse.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
No, you have a reasonable amount of time to add it, just as you don't immediately have to drop the car you sell/trade. You merely have to prove current auto insurance coverage.
That's what normal people would think. And yet my written documentation says otherwise. Thus my post and concern.

They want proof of insurance before you drive it / before they register it, and that actually makes sense because you can't legally register it without it being insured and you can't drive it on public roads if it isn't registered!
But see... it IS insured because my insurance covers any car that I drive. I've never before insured a car before I've driven it home. Regardless, AAA was more than willing to print up a new card for me that shows my VIN. I was told that they've had a large uptick in requests for this "pre insurance" for Teslas. (it was amusing to find that she didn't even know that the Model 3 was electric, "You mean like their SUV?")

Are you financing? The lender would require the insurance. I thought the requirement was proof of insurance, like the declaration page for your policy, but not necessarily insurance for the Model 3.
Yeah, no financing. No trade. No nothing but cash..

That's what normal people would think. And yet my written documentation says otherwise. Thus my post and concern.

But see... it IS insured because my insurance covers any car that I drive. I've never before insured a car before I've driven it home. Regardless, AAA was more than willing to print up a new card for me that shows my VIN. I was told that they've had a large uptick in requests for this "pre insurance" for Teslas. (it was amusing to find that she didn't even know that the Model 3 was electric, "You mean like their SUV?")

Yeah, no financing. No trade. No nothing but cash..
In all states but NH and WI car insurance is mandatory and in WI a $60,000 'bond' is required to be posted with DoT. So, for the vast majority of us we have coverage. Generally it will say it on your car registration. As people are getting a new car there is no car registration. Here is what I show for "what to bring".

What do I need to bring with me to delivery?

• Your driver's license (for all registrants)
  • Copy of your current auto insurance (or proof of Tesla policy, if required)
  • Final payment (if you are picking up your vehicle in a Tesla sales licensed state)
So bullet 2 requires some investigation? Call the delivery center and ask how many people bring in their 30 page insurance coverage. "if required" is weird. I'd say, proof of insurance should be sufficient. You could always bring the phone # of your insurance company and if the guy watching you sign paperwork wants to call your insurance co. dial the number for him. I suspect vast majority of people post delivery leave here so try asking on Model3 Owners Club forum what form of proof of insurance was required at delivery. It seems to me years ago an insurance co could do a 'binder' which is a single page pro forma document saying you're covered. But you're correct, for a reasonable amount of time you are covered in a new car. I wouldn't take it past 48 hrs to drop your old car and add your new one. Consider this too, days prior to delivery you add a third car (assuming your car and spouse's car, now new car) and you get charged for addition car. But Tesla cancels your pickup (again). It makes zero sense to add a car you are not in possession of. Ask M3OC or just bring proof of insurance.

Did people see M3OC shows picture of approved M3 key fob?

Both actually. I'm a software engineer and my husband is in cyber security. And yes I know exactly what you are speaking of. I work as a full stack developer for a manufacturing company. My job is creating front end facing web applications and automation of processing into our manufacturing system with some small scale robotics on the side. Been doing this for over 12 years in the manufacturing world so what we are talking about is what I do for a living. :)

Also there is no way they are not using a RESTful method to access the data. That data should be in a secured location segregated from the web application deployment (for security) to pass PCI compliance (eg to be insured). Also the RESTful method will allow them long term support of the application by creating a access layer that can be changed as need without interfering with other development/database structures. This is pretty standard practice these days. When I started years ago of course APIs were at their start and now we all are working to upgrade to a more robust architecture for long term support-ability.
I sure hope I didn't sound like that when I was but 12 yrs into my profession.
To those lost in this conversation...what is this thread about, largely in this order?
1) my reservation is 2 1/2 yrs old and I've heard nothing.
2) my delivery was canceled
3) IDAs suck but there are one or two customer facing ppl at Tesla that don't suck but they aren't IDAs
4) I just took delivery
Doesn't anyone else get tired of this. TSW and I digressed from the monotony and predictability of those four choices. For those that don't know what we're talking about, ignore it. It doesn't need personal attacks. This isn't middle school. <- or, for some of you, is it?

Last edited:
We experienced the same thing when we took delivery of our Signature Model S in 2012 and it seems like nothing has improved in six years. It might have actually gotten worse.
Startups are notorious for trimming really close to the bone staffing wise. A good friend of mine in La Jolla is getting his second S when he returns from France in a week or so. Early adopters of S's likely did experience the same as M3 order holders are now. With S's they grew their delivery staff to meet the current sale volume. By cutting the cost of ownership of a Tesla, essentially, in half they likely quadrupled the volume. Again, overwhelming an il-equipt delivery staff. Ben Sullins has a good video on this very subject. In 6 months when they, again, cut the cost of ownership of a Tesla in half they will likely be back in the barrel, customer delivery service wise. But, that said, everyone I know who owns a Tesla say the same thing, their, after the sale, customer service is second to none.

• Disagree
So let me throw this out there and see if it tracks with everyone's experiences (a guess based on what I have been reading in here and on other forums/social media).

I am seeing two cases, one where delivery is assigned at seven days out but there is no VIN or MPVA. The other case is where at seven days out the VIN and MPVA show up. In cases where the information shows up there is no delay in delivery date. In the cases where no VIN or MPVA shows at seven days the delivery is delayed. Has this been pretty true for everyone?

• Love
So let me throw this out there and see if it tracks with everyone's experiences (a guess based on what I have been reading in here and on other forums/social media).

I am seeing two cases, one where delivery is assigned at seven days out but there is no VIN or MPVA. The other case is where at seven days out the VIN and MPVA show up. In cases where the information shows up there is no delay in delivery date. In the cases where no VIN or MPVA shows at seven days the delivery is delayed. Has this been pretty true for everyone?
I suspect they are the same case. Independent of 2-5 or 2-7 days prior to delivery a purchases gets their VIN, clearly, that something is being delivered to the customer that something has an UID. My recollection is people who press for 'early' access to their VIN either get a compliant employee or don't. The MVPA has the VIN right on it as the sales contract has to be for a particular car, as opposed to something unspecified. Where this would likely most cause issues is a scheduled early morning Monday delivery and the purchaser doesn't get final MVPA until Saturday where it's too late to lock in financing. This may well be where IDAs give 'early' access to the VIN such that insurance can be acquired and financing finalized. This dovetails into my earlier comment about substandard software. too many state changes in mine, presumably others, have occurred with no notification SMS or email or phone call, to the purchaser that a state change has occurred. That should be automatic and software generated. Too many stories point to assigned delivery agents dropping the ball. Yes, they should be the human voice not a critical path item for every state change. For that matter, the case mentioned yesterday where an order was silently held up because license information was not supplied. That should have been flagged clearly and early to the customer, not left to some human to eventually track down "oh, you've been waiting over a yr because you forgot to supply your drivers license number". That's inexcusable. A work flow analyst should have caught that software omission years ago.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
I just saw two M3s on my drive home this morning. Elon hates me.

giphy.gif

My trade in quote took about 30 minutes after i submitted it. It was comparable to other trade quotes.
What other trade quotes? My IDA told me they sell trade-ins to an auctioneer. Rather than going with a Good or Very Good condition, they take a Fair condition price. This is consistent with CarMax even though they call it a Good condition price, but clearly not KBB. Their's may be artificially high because against a Ford, Chevy, Kia etc they boost the trade in price by cutting a little off the margin of the new car. So what are you comparing your tradein to?

Last edited:
I just wanted to say I really hope EV Nut gets his car today. He's waited too damn long to get the run around. God speed, my friend! I hope the drive back is worth the drive there.
Awww, thanks. I was just checking my email to make sure I have no bad news from the delivery center. I am half an hour out.

Fingers crossed. I already forgot one thing….My Fastrak for the new car. I’m going to have to stop and pay toll. Something I have not done in what? 15 years? If that’s the only bad thing that happens today, we’re in great shape!

Awww, thanks. I was just checking my email to make sure I have no bad news from the delivery center. I am half an hour out.

Fingers crossed. I already forgot one thing….My Fastrak for the new car. I’m going to have to stop and pay toll. Something I have not done in what? 15 years? If that’s the only bad thing that happens today, we’re in great shape!
You didn't call delivery center before you left the house? Good luck bro!