Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWDs on the way to Canada?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got my red Model 3. Was disappointed when my Sept 30th suddenly vanished a week before, but my local DA told me those were estimates and she'd let me know when it was actually in Canada.

Low and behold, when it was at their location - she phoned me and updated my account from Sept 18-Nov 18 to my actual date Oct 6th.

After reading some of the posts - I didnt believe anything until the day of my appointment I was actually looking at my car. Not perfect - but not going to let a little paint defects ruin my dream driving experience.

I do drive on the highway and back roads with almost no traffic, 60 km commute each way. So I probably should have got the EAP. I think I'll call my Oakville delivery guy back and see if I can still get it for that price. Thanks for the offer to try it out. Not sure when I'll be back that way, but if I am I'll be sure to reach out to you. Everyone on this board has been really helpful.

I just love the way the car handles - it's so fun to drive!

Hey Krakhaus,

I think you’ll really like EAP. It is remarkable in GTA traffic. I used it quite a bit in the last week. Although you have to give the wheel feedback in order to let it know that you are conscious, the EAP does a great job at applying the acceleration and brake / regent braking. I think it is more efficient than me applying forces to the pedals.

I’ve noticed that with EAP, my level of stres while driving in heavy traffic is decreased, and afterwards, I don’t feel as drained after a long commute in traffic.

TBH, I don’t think I’ve actually tried it on the back roads around Oakville, just the highways and even Dundas.

Had the car for 1+ week and remember this question when I was at IC delivery: when I asked why there are swirl marks, the onsite DA said that it's normal because they waxed the car. After a week, I started to question this again, is this true? or did they wash the car using some dirty/sandy cloth? I should have checked other cars around ...

No I did not receive an incentive other and delivery soon and lower price for silver metallic. Honestly silver was my original choice. I chose red when i changed my config to AWD. Honestly silver suits my personality better. It is also easy to keep clean. The silver cars in photos looked washed out but in person I think they look great. I like how they look with the 19" and the Aeros. I'm getting the 19"s but I'll likely get the aeros for winter tires. I currently drive an Audi A4 in black. it is impossible to keep clean.

Gdelean, your Silver metallic car looks awesome.

I can't wait until Tuesday. I stopped by Oakville and they must have 50 model 3's. This is the most I've ever seen there. Unfortunately my car was not there.
Passed by Oakville SC this morning. Site is triple parked with cars, almost all T3s! Building totally surrounded with cars. Budd's Jag/Land Rover next door, must be drooling seeing so many cars being delivered these last few weeks.

Been on a road trip to Finger Lakes this weekend with my blue baby. It's performing beautifully. EAP has been fun! No issues except LTE sometimes cuts out. Been paranoid about charging (charging way more often than I probably need to) but seem to be lots of charging options and a few Superchargers around where we're staying so no worries at all.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Is this normal? My Tesla portal was updated on Thursday with a VIN, but my reservation number is also still there. The Montreal store is all out of wall connectors and I was told to order online. However, when I go to checkout, it says “as gift or without VIN”. Has anyone else had this happen?

Also my delivery is scheduled for Tuesday morning, but no one from Tesla has emailed/called me. I think they’re closed on Sunday and then Monday for thanksgiving. So still no clue who I have to make my certified check out to. When have they contacted others who already have their cars?
No worries, you can order without your VIN. Don't wait for your VIN, as I already mentioned I ordered mince few months ago without the VIN and it took less than a week to get it.

Hey Krakhaus,

I think you’ll really like EAP. It is remarkable in GTA traffic. I used it quite a bit in the last week. Although you have to give the wheel feedback in order to let it know that you are conscious, the EAP does a great job at applying the acceleration and brake / regent braking. I think it is more efficient than me applying forces to the pedals.

I’ve noticed that with EAP, my level of stres while driving in heavy traffic is decreased, and afterwards, I don’t feel as drained after a long commute in traffic.

TBH, I don’t think I’ve actually tried it on the back roads around Oakville, just the highways and even Dundas.

Thanks for the info. Pleased to hear how much people are liking the EAP. I was just being cheap not getting it I guess. Will definitely call the DA at Oakville and see if I can still get it for the original price.

I drove in to work this morning and it handled very well on the back roads, especially fun on a stretch with a nice S-curve!

And I found out today that Oxford County has put a charger up at the nursing home attached to my hospital. I think it may even be free for staff which would be a total bonus! Going to try charging Tuesday while at work.

I can tell you I was on the fence for EAP, but am glad I got it. If you highway drive, it's worth it. You may still be able to add it for 6600 after delivery....one time a delivery agent in Cali told me tesla will add it up to 30 days after delivery, but it was kind of an un written rule. Maybe PM @Gdelean as he mentioned they are letting him add it for 6600 anytime (?) and get some details how he scored that.

If you are ever in the Burlington area I'm more than happy to let you try it out on mine. @5_+JqckQttqck let me drive his, and that convinced me...least I can do is do the same for another new owner :)
Re:eap

During pickup... i told them i wanted it... they DA calls me and says we have to re do the paperwork to include it.... they also qanted a bank draft for the 6600 plus tax.... and it would take some service time.... giving that it was friday on a long weekend i just wanted to get outta there and keep things simple!.. they noted my file...thats pretty much it.

First of all, I'm rooting for all those still waiting to get your Model 3 - may your delivery be soon!!

I've had my AWD for about 3 weeks and I owe all the good and helpful people in this thread I started ~2 1/2 months ago an update! I admit I've been sidetracked enjoying this surreal driving experience, and my regular Tesla obsession online has taken a back seat (so to speak).

Here are some things I've remarked about that I haven't read elsewhere:
  • I called my car the "Road to Happiness", as in "Hey shall we all climb in and take 'the Road to Happiness' to the cottage?". The inspiration is the title of an uplifting song my youngest son wrote and produced.
  • The car drives totally different than every ICE - and even very different than the Prius' - I've driven. I'm finding the handling is un-sensational in a good way. Of course the acceleration is ludicrous, but what stands out for me is how simple and predictable the car is. Accelerating is no longer think-about-what-revs-am-I-at-and-which-gear-do-I-need-to-be-in-and-how-long-it-will-take-to-pass-in-this-car-on-this-hill-with-this-load-and-how-many-seconds-to-downshift-&-rev-and-do-I-have-enough-runaway-and-oh-*sugar*... Instead, you just point and shoot. It's incredibly simple and liberating.
  • Oh yeah - the acceleration is ludicrous. :) For the first time in 10 years, I'm actually flooring it with abandon. In the three years I've owned a Miata, I've always felt bad for the environment pressing "the gas" more than half way. Half way is pretty quick in a Miata, but not full acceleration because you just pollute so much. Tesla? Conundrum gone, and I can bypass almost any obstacle in a second, no doubts or concerns about it.
  • TACC and EAP have been eye-openers. It's gentle enough slowing down automatically behind other cars, and getting back to cruise speed if you switch from behind a slow car over into an open lane. On the way from my delivery in Toronto to Ottawa, EAP drove ~80% of the highways, including passed close-proximity construction cement dividers.
  • I love the space. This means the convenient frunk, the ample storage in back, and the luxurious lag room in both sets of seats (my family is full of +6-footers).
  • I love the digitized interface, the fact that much of the car is configurable and updateable. My sons like how they can save their own profile for seats and mirrors.
  • On the downside, speaking of my Miata, the Model 3 is a great performance sedan, but it's no sports car. It might be quicker, but it does not feel as agile on a twisty country road. In the interior and on the road, it feels like a sedan. I'd like to sell my gas-powered, summertime Miata, but between the cornering and convertible, the Model 3 is no substitute. To those who say that's an unfair comparison, there are people who pretend this car beats every other car in every way. Well, I'd like it to, but it doesn't beat the driving experience of an open-air roadster. If you've never driven a Miata, you won't miss that experience - enjoy your 3!
  • The phone-as-key is my biggest frustration. It hardly works with my Android phone unless I toggle airplane mode first. Reaching into my back pants pocket, while seated, for the card to start the car is a pain. I wish this worked properly.
  • I've driven many friends and family and all are super impressed by the Tesla and its story (i.e cleanest car + quickest car + most modern car + safest car ever). While none can afford the currently available models, this car definitely makes the case to them for "why should our next car be gas? our next car should be electric, if not a Tesla". The car sells itself.
Overall, I'm super satisfied, and especially glad I made the choice to join the electric rEVolution for which Tesla is a major driver. I feel I'm helping all of us convincing others to make the same "sacrifice" and switch to electric. But a Tesla is "just a car", a consumer good. I think we need to remember this when many in the world can barely afford food and shelter.

It's just a car. But a fantastic car.

20181007_134039.jpg

Last edited:
  • The phone-as-key is my biggest frustration. It hardly works with my Android phone unless I toggle airplane mode first. Reaching into my back pants pocket, while seated, for the card to start the car is a pain. I wish this worked properly.
What phone do you have? I have an LG G7 and it has worked so far. Though its only been 2-3 days. I heard the pixel 2 or is it the original pixel is supposed to be rough...

Also are you saying it unlocks the car but doesn't start?

I actually had a somewhat complicated setup ready to go before I got the car in case the phone as key didn't work. I have tasker and two plugins set up so that long pressing volume up on my phone unlocks and starts the car and long press volume down locks the car. Haven't had to use it yet...

What phone do you have? I have an LG G7 and it has worked so far. Though its only been 2-3 days. I heard the pixel 2 or is it the original pixel is supposed to be rough...

I actually had a somewhat complicated setup ready to go before I got the car in case the phone as key didn't work. I have tasker and two plugins set up so that long pressing volume up on my phone unlocks and starts the car and long press volume down locks the car. Haven't had to use it yet...

LG Stylo 3 Plus

Yes, one time it seemed to allow me to open the car, but didn't recognize it for me to start driving, without the card. I haven't been very scientific in my testing though.

Reactions: Krakhaus

I've got a pixel 2xl and for the most part haven't had any issues. Once in a while I just have to wake up the phone but that is rare. My wife has a pixel 2 but we haven't paired it with the car yet. Despite her owning a bolt she is too intimidated by the model 3 she says....I'm not complaining though, it's too fun to drive :)

First of all, I'm rooting for all those still waiting to get your Model 3 - may your delivery be soon!!

Overall, I'm super satisfied, and especially glad I made the choice to join the electric rEVolution for which Tesla is a major driver. I feel I'm helping all of us convincing others to make the same "sacrifice" and switch to electric. But a Tesla is "just a car", a consumer good. I think we need to remember this when many in the world can barely afford food and shelter.

View attachment 342064

Every small step is a step; every day I personally divert 14kg of CO2 from driving a Honda Civic 2017 - imagine all the SUVs out there! We can't help all the people who are starving in the third world financially - greater powers must be elected to decide that. However, we are part of a movement to change a major system (fossil fuel dependency) - that affects everyone. As early adopters, we are ironing out the path to a greener future by supporting the EVs. Small pat on the back every time we mash that pedal ;)

LG Stylo 3 Plus

Yes, one time it seemed to allow me to open the car, but didn't recognize it for me to start driving, without the card. I haven't been very scientific in my testing though.

Is the Tesla permanent notification displayed on your phone? It's supposed to help keep the bluetooth service running in the background as recent Android versions will kill services if no app is running in foreground/background.

And does the notification widget say connected when you get near to the car? Or does it say disconnected or connecting (or something else)?

Nice remarks on your new car! I've had mine now for 2 weeks and it's been a total blast! We just got back from a 1000 km road trip. The experience was excellent. We were a bit unsure about how much charging we should really do en-route (the destination had no charging options). Basically we ended up charging over 30 minute lunch breaks (there and back) and ended up back at home with 37% battery left (so we really charged more than we had to). EAP worked pretty well especially on the interstate. There seems to be an issue with the car taking right highway speed curves (it takes it way too close to the median). I've seen this mentioned a couple times.

Agree with a lot of your comments. On the sports car comments - I agree, the Model 3 is not a sports car. It's an amazing electric sedan. So if you want a sports car, get the roadster :)

Phone as key has been hit-and-miss with me. I have a Pixel XL. I'd say it works about 70% of the time. Of the times it doesn't work, if I pull the phone out and unlock the phone, then it works a bit better (still fails about 15% of the time). Sometimes I have to try and open the door 3-4 times before it unlocks. I'm hoping the dedicated fob will resolve this.

Today I had to drive my old ICE car. It was extremely underwhelming. I can definitely understand people who will say they will never go back.

One thing about driving the Model 3 - it *feels* like a heavy car. You can definitely feel the weight. But it's so friggen fast it's like driving a rocket tank :) I think with winter tires this thing will be a beast in the snow.

Slacker could be better. I wish I had Spotify.

Meanwhile after the roadtrip I have 2000 kms on it, used approx 322 kW of power (~$20 worth of electrons if charging at home).

• The car drives totally different than every ICE - and even very different than the Prius' - I've driven. I'm finding the handling is un-sensational in a good way. Of course the acceleration is ludicrous, but what stands out for me is how simple and predictable the car is. Accelerating is no longer think-about-what-revs-am-I-at-and-which-gear-do-I-need-to-be-in-and-how-long-it-will-take-to-pass-in-this-car-on-this-hill-with-this-load-and-how-many-seconds-to-downshift-&-rev-and-do-I-have-enough-runaway-and-oh-*sugar*... Instead, you just point and shoot. It's incredibly simple and liberating.
  • Oh yeah - the acceleration is ludicrous. :) For the first time in 10 years, I'm actually flooring it with abandon. In the three years I've owned a Miata, I've always felt bad for the environment pressing "the gas" more than half way. Half way is pretty quick in a Miata, but not full acceleration because you just pollute so much. Tesla? Conundrum gone, and I can bypass almost any obstacle in a second, no doubts or concerns about it.
  • TACC and EAP have been eye-openers. It's gentle enough slowing down automatically behind other cars, and getting back to cruise speed if you switch from behind a slow car over into an open lane. On the way from my delivery in Toronto to Ottawa, EAP drove ~80% of the highways, including passed close-proximity construction cement dividers.
  • I love the space. This means the convenient frunk, the ample storage in back, and the luxurious lag room in both sets of seats (my family is full of +6-footers).
  • I love the digitized interface, the fact that much of the car is configurable and updateable. My sons like how they can save their own profile for seats and mirrors.
  • On the downside, speaking of my Miata, the Model 3 is a great performance sedan, but it's no sports car. It might be quicker, but it does not feel as agile on a twisty country road. In the interior and on the road, it feels like a sedan. I'd like to sell my gas-powered, summertime Miata, but between the cornering and convertible, the Model 3 is no substitute. To those who say that's an unfair comparison, there are people who pretend this car beats every other car in every way. Well, I'd like it to, but it doesn't beat the driving experience of an open-air roadster. If you've never driven a Miata, you won't miss that experience - enjoy your 3!
  • I've driven many friends and family and all are super impressed by the Tesla and its story (i.e cleanest car + quickest car + most modern car + safest car ever). While none can afford the currently available models, this car definitely makes the case to them for "why should our next car be gas? our next car should be electric, if not a Tesla". The car sells itself.

View attachment 342064

Oh, just for comparison on the 2000 km electric usage since I got the car... on my old ICE I get around 12 L/100 km (it's a 330 HP beast). It needs premium gas. Even if I assume 10L/100 km for highway, it would have used around 200 litres of fuel. At $1.50 per litre that would have been $300. Charging at home exclusively would have cost me $20. That's a nice savings of $280 in the short time I've had it.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Well I hope my 3rd appointment is a charm. My delivery agent told me that red are back ordered. He asked if I liked any other colours. I told him my first choice was silver. A few hours later I have a VIN for a silver metallic AWD with 19” wheels and EAP and a Tuesday appointment.

Today is the day! Less than 2 hours to go. I called the Oakville store ans asked them if everything is a go? They put me on hold for ten agonizing minutes and then came back, "yes the car is here and ready". I'm counting down the moments...! ;)

Well just received another disappointing update that my newest delivery date of Oct 13th is now cancelled and replaced with Nov 6th :mad:. Supposedly major train delays of shipments going into / out of Chicago (or whatever the real reason is). Clearly not happy with this news. I will hold out hope they are giving a date far into the future to temper expectations and then hopefully provide a delivery date earlier as a "bonus". Anyhow as Tom Petty sang..."Waiting in the hardest part". Definitely part of the playlist when I take ownership. The first line is hopefully how I will feel...
"Oh baby don't it feel like heaven right now
Don't it feel like something from a dream
Yeah I've never known nothing quite like this
Don't it feel like tonight might never be again"

Well just received another disappointing update that my newest delivery date of Oct 13th is now cancelled and replaced with Nov 6th :mad:. Supposedly major train delays of shipments going into / out of Chicago (or whatever the real reason is). Clearly not happy with this news. I will hold out hope they are giving a date far into the future to temper expectations and then hopefully provide a delivery date earlier as a "bonus". Anyhow as Tom Petty sang..."Waiting in the hardest part". Definitely part of the playlist when I take ownership. The first line is hopefully how I will feel...
"Oh baby don't it feel like heaven right now
Don't it feel like something from a dream
Yeah I've never known nothing quite like this
Don't it feel like tonight might never be again"

Sorry to hear - hope you get it without further disruption! It's likely due to the new USMCA trade deal aka (USCAM) if you switch one letter ;)