Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery coolant does not need to be replaced for the life of your vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was posted in the Model 3 forum (and I mistakenly replied to it), so I thought I'd post it here for Model S owners to see. The new MODEL S OWNER'S MANUAL (2019.16.1.1 dated May 16, 2019) states that "Your Battery coolant does not need to be replaced for the life of your vehicle under most circumstances."
fluid replacement intervals.PNG

Is there any reason to ever get service done by Tesla then? All you need to do is get the brake fluid checked occasionally and rotate the tires. The cabin air filter, washer fluid and key fob battery (!) are easy, even for me.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy and Chaserr
They have replaced the coolant on mine in the past. Not due again for quite some time. (And if TSLA treats me right, a new X will appear before it's due for another).

This was posted in the Model 3 forum (and I mistakenly replied to it), so I thought I'd post it here for Model S owners to see. The new MODEL S OWNER'S MANUAL (2019.16.1.1 dated May 16, 2019) states that "Your Battery coolant does not need to be replaced for the life of your vehicle under most circumstances." View attachment 431643

Is there any reason to ever get service done by Tesla then? All you need to do is get the brake fluid checked occasionally and rotate the tires. The cabin air filter, washer fluid and key fob battery (!) are easy, even for me.

I would get them to service the A/C system every 2-3 years to get fresh lubricant contained in the recharged R134a; they just call it a desiccant change but there is much more to than that. Not to mention more efficient cooling which should lower energy usage.

And depending on your area brake service annually.

My SC also said they no longer change the battery coolant “annually.” They seemed to indicate that they might change it later in the car’s life.

The tech dude also said they found that by doing fluid changes, they were introducing more debris and water into the system. So Tesla now prefers to keep the coolant system sealed up unless absolutely necessary.

My SC also said they no longer change the battery coolant “annually.” They seemed to indicate that they might change it later in the car’s life.

The tech dude also said they found that by doing fluid changes, they were introducing more debris and water into the system. So Tesla now prefers to keep the coolant system sealed up unless absolutely necessary.

There was never an annual recommendation for battery coolant.