Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery day: anyone on the fence about buying before Battery Day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery day looks to be 9/22 where they’ll announce apparently big news about advances in their batteries. I have a MY order in, but I’m wondering if waiting a little longer might result in a significantly better battery—perhaps better range at a better price from a more energy dense battery.

Is this keeping any of you from buying at the moment? Anyone have an opinion on it?

Placed order 8/8. Sales rep said mid Sept so my plan was to just let the order pass by if it was close. BUT i got text to pick it up 8/16 so I am just gonna take it. From what I read, Model Y probably wouldn't be impacted by this battery day. More for Model S, X

Reactions: house9
Battery day looks to be 9/22 where they’ll announce apparently big news about advances in their batteries. I have a MY order in, but I’m wondering if waiting a little longer might result in a significantly better battery—perhaps better range at a better price from a more energy dense battery.

Is this keeping any of you from buying at the moment? Anyone have an opinion on it?

First, it's unlikely anything they announce will be less than a year from getting into production cars. Second, you need to realize that EV tach is moving fast, and if you wait based on "the next great thing" you will wait forever.

^ Elon made a tweet about it on the 13th... that's all I know.

One-Piece-Casting.png

Planning on getting a MYP. I don't expect battery day will effect Y for sometime, but I am intrigued by the one piece casting. Some reports are that it should be lighter. II won't order until after battery day just cause its only a month away and by then there mat be some news as to when the one piece castings will start rolling off the line. For me the Y is a placeholder until the CyberTruck ships.

Reactions: mikevbf
Planning on getting a MYP. I don't expect battery day will effect Y for sometime, but I am intrigued by the one piece casting. Some reports are that it should be lighter. II won't order until after battery day just cause its only a month away and by then there mat be some news as to when the one piece castings will start rolling off the line. For me the Y is a placeholder until the CyberTruck ships.

Same except for CyberTruck part. I have a MX so easier to be patient. I ordered on the day Tesla unveiled the MY, but put hold on my order in May when contacted by Tesla. Delivery in late October early November would be fine by me. I would like to avoid any end of quarter rush.

Not worried about battery day. Based upon a variety of reports I half expect that news will be released about chemistry changes already slip-streamed into current cells. Any additional improvements may not be incorporated for some time, so as to not impact current sales.

This may be one reason why battery day has been re-scheduled so many times.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Same here...waiting for Cybertruck, that is the ultimate Tesla vehicle that I want...so as long as there are no major defects upon delivery, I'm not going to get too hung up on being nit picky as long as it gets fixed.

I’m kinda holding out until battery day. I’ve got a Model 3 SR+ and heavily considering trading toward a LR Model Y (gosh, maybe a P if I YOLO but it also would be kinda irresponsible of me, lol).

What I’m curious about is the [unusual] widely reported claims from Panasonic that they’re upgrading the lines at GigaFactory with production slated to start in September and that it should yield a 5% energy density improvement in the 2170 cell...

Panasonic boosts energy density, trims cobalt in new 2170 battery cell for Tesla

Battery day in late September... Panasonic claiming an energy density improvement should go into production in September... hmm. I suspect larger announcements from battery day that will take awhile to roll out, but wouldn’t be surprised if we saw ~5% improvements in September... maybe a 75kWh pack going to 80kWh (78.8 actual). That could be good for a 15 mile range boost on the Y...

It depending on your situation and how much inconvenience waiting a month is for you. If you have a paid off car that's running well enough waiting an extra month is NBD. If you're trying to time a lease end with a new delivery, obviously a different and less flexible situation.

"Wait for the next best thing" scenario is very real, but when the 'wait' is so short (less than a month) and the advancements are potentially large (larger capacity, better density, something... (these are just me speculating BTW)) that wait seems like a low price to pay. I'd personally wait and see what's announced and make my decision after battery day.