Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery dent tolerance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a tolerance for how deep a dent has to be in the battery before one needs to worry about it?
Encountered some road debris at relatively slow speed ~10-15MPH. RPMtesla aluminum skid plate took up some of the damage, but looks like it bounced and hit the battery, making a 1/2" dent. My inclination is to merely replace the skid plate. Should I have this inspected by a Tesla service tech? Unfortunately far from service center. Any other advice?
PXL_20230416_205633135.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20230416_233948253~2.jpg
PXL_20230416_205545083.jpg
PXL_20230416_234117725.jpg

Is there a tolerance for how deep a dent has to be in the battery before one needs to worry about it?
Encountered some road debris at relatively slow speed ~10-15MPH. RPMtesla aluminum skid plate took up some of the damage, but looks like it bounced and hit the battery, making a 1/2" dent. My inclination is to merely replace the skid plate. Should I have this inspected by a Tesla service tech? Unfortunately far from service center. Any other advice?View attachment 929051View attachment 929052View attachment 929054View attachment 929055
Definitely have Tesla Service check it out.
Meanwhile, you can reference this Tech Note for what's to be checked when with underside damage.

Attachments

• TN-18-16-001_Inspect_M3_and_MY_HV_Battery_for_Underside_Damage_R3.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 242
Definitely have Tesla Service check it out.
Meanwhile, you can reference this Tech Note for what's to be checked when with underside damage.
That document is a very informative read.

Looks to me like the damage to the OP’s battery is to the battery’s “baseplate”. If that’s correct, that document says that any dent greater than 8mm in depth should result in a battery replacement. (On page 12.)

Definitely have Tesla Service assess it.

Thank you all. Following up on this.
There were no error codes, no leaking fluid. I made a service appointment, first available was today, 5 days after the incident. Drove the 2.5hrs to the service center and they futzed with it for 3 hrs. They say the battery is ok, the dent in the bottom they measure at just 3mm, which I cannot believe given the picture attached in original post. Though they cannot replace the battery, the mechanic said to expect some minor range degradation in the next few months, since the cooling around some cells may be damaged and the system will just work around them, isolating the cells that no longer function properly. They recommend replacing the aerosheild mounting bracket, a part they do not have on hand and it expected to arrive in a week or so. So I drove a loaner M3 (old beater) home. They cannot put back my aluminum plate from RPM since it is not OEM equipment, so will charge me ~$200 for a new plastic Tesla front aerosheild. After fees for diagnostics, battery leak test and mounting bracket I will be out just over $1k, plus two days driving back and forth to the service center. Idiot tax for driving over road debris.
On the good side, the drive there and back is through the California superbloom, so parts of the drive are quite pretty.
On the drive to the service center, an SUV lane changed right into me. Aggressive maneuvers on my part averted a collision by a hairs breath. After I kept thinking I would be better off right now if I had just reacted a little slower and the vehicle could be declared a total loss with some extensive body damage.

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
A range loss without concerning battery damage seems unlikely and Working around individual cells seems especially unlikely since the cells are grouped in series to get -400v… maybe the entire string in that series can be worked around, but not individual cells I don’t think.

Encountered some road debris at relatively slow speed ~10-15MPH. RPMtesla aluminum skid plate took up some of the damage, but looks like it bounced and hit the battery, making a 1/2" dent. My inclination is to merely replace the skid plate. Should I have this inspected by a Tesla service tech? Unfortunately far from service center. Any other advice?View attachment 929051View attachment 929052View attachment 929054View attachment 929055
I am curious. What exactly was the road debris?

Sorry you're dealing with this.

Reactions: zoomer0056