Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is 2016MCU1AP1 and I had no updates prior my message and after 48h it disappeared. My service request has not been answered also, although I asked what the situation is.

Just received update from the SeC, they stated that Tesla had internal system failure and all car’s were pointed out with the warning. Also they reported that if the car will show the warning (hopefully now actual one!) you have then half a year to get it changed.

ECCBA502-1E54-405B-977C-56DAC271D3F4.jpeg

Just popped up on my MS 2016 90D (April 2016 pre refresh MCU2) today as BMS_u031. After finding this thread, checked under the passenger side behind front wheel and can clearly see the Fuse panel cover plate. Soon after I got the software update for 2023.26.8 and checked after it completed to still have the BMS_u031 error.
I am going to wait to see if the error disappears as many here are saying it may after 48 hours, before I put anything in for service.
IMG_3238.jpeg

IMG_3236.jpeg

Just got off the phone with Tesla and reporting back. If you receive this error and the fuse needs replaced. You should be receiving one of two costs:
  • If your fuse is on top, expect about $550. There is a labor charge to drop the battery to access the fuse. Sorry, that's just how it is unfortunately.
  • If your fuse is on the bottom, expect about $250. But there was confusion on the actual make up of that $250, rough numbers show 1 hour in labor and $75 for parts OR $175 for part and 1/2 hour of labor. Not sure why different service centers would break it up different, but the cost is the same. Caveat, your hourly shop rate may differ from other people's so expect a slight variation.
**If you are getting numbers drastically different from what I outlined above, DM me so I can report it and hopefully resolve**

Side notes:
Warranty question. I brought up TPMS and they responded with key fob battery not being covered. There was mentioned that TPMS battery is a grey area and if they could go back, they probably wouldn't include that in a warranty repair. But that's such a low occurrence, it's not worth having a policy for.

Communication. They mentioned this is a great opportunity to improve internally. The costs estimates shouldn't have been all over the place and the error message could stand to have more details when you click on the error message for more info. Something to the effect of "service will determine if your vehicle needs this part replaced, here is what it is and what it does."
Fort Lauderdale service center is quoting $631.02 total. Labor is $407 and parts is $182.64.

Update on my fuse fiasco: Initially, I was told that the warning notification was an error that would be corrected in a future OTA and they assured me that upon review, my fuse was fine, and they closed the service request. Fast-forward a month and I initiated another service request, so I could send them a message asking when this would get resolved, as I am about to market the vehicle for sale, and did not this to scare off potential buyers. Tesla then informs me that it will indeed need to be replaced, they have ordered the part, and I will need to come into an SC to have it installed. I pushed back, saying that was exactly opposite of what I was told previously, and they were dismissive at best. When I asked if there would be a charge, I could practically hear them laughing on the other end, and it was an emphatic "yes." I am trying upload the estimate for all to see. My SC is in KC. They are quoting $463.58 and say that it will take, "up to the full business day to complete. We will provide UBER credits for this repair." Nothing like being told 2 completely different things a month apart...and what if I hadn't reached back out to them? I feel completely jacked around.

Attachments

• tesla_invoice6c57ad62-de5c-4123-81d2-425e857727a6.pdf
    110.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Driving my car today a little error popped up and said : “Battery Fuse Needs Replacement - Schedule Service”

Anybody know what that entails / costs?

-Zach
My 2016 90D just gave me this message also. Dealer did it. About $350.

Attachments

• 20230825_151404.jpg
    20230825_151404.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230825_151239.jpg
    20230825_151239.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230825_150827.jpg
    20230825_150827.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230825_151037.jpg
    20230825_151037.jpg
    591.9 KB · Views: 84
Update on my fuse fiasco: Initially, I was told that the warning notification was an error that would be corrected in a future OTA and they assured me that upon review, my fuse was fine, and they closed the service request. Fast-forward a month and I initiated another service request, so I could send them a message asking when this would get resolved, as I am about to market the vehicle for sale, and did not this to scare off potential buyers. Tesla then informs me that it will indeed need to be replaced, they have ordered the part, and I will need to come into an SC to have it installed. I pushed back, saying that was exactly opposite of what I was told previously, and they were dismissive at best. When I asked if there would be a charge, I could practically hear them laughing on the other end, and it was an emphatic "yes." I am trying upload the estimate for all to see. My SC is in KC. They are quoting $463.58 and say that it will take, "up to the full business day to complete. We will provide UBER credits for this repair." Nothing like being told 2 completely different things a month apart...and what if I hadn't reached back out to them? I feel completely jacked around.
Here in the UK my local Service Centre me that the ETA for the replacement fuse was for the end of November ...

I got a near identical quote for about $450, taking it in Monday. Idk whether my fuse is on the top or bottom but either way I don’t really want to risk DIY with HV and I don’t have any Tookbox access to reset the alarm :(

Attachments

• IMG_3521.jpeg
    IMG_3521.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 103
Got my quote today $1,127.20.
My quote says $175 for the fuse, R&R Fuse $556.50 + $381.80 R&R HV Battery, so after they remove the HV Battery it takes $556.50 worth of labor to replace the fuse, that's B.S.
Exactly 8 1/2yrs for message to pop up.
What will happen if I drive pass the reported 6months to fix it will it be undriveable?
My luck the HV Battery will drop a message after (IF) I do this fix and have to pay for another R&R Battery.
But it was nice of Tesla to "Goodwill" my remote support to confirm I had the error fuse needs replacement could of easily charged me a hour labor ($265) at Costa Mesa SC., Bast****.

Anyone wants to buy a 68k mileage P85D/MCU2?

Attachments

• Invocep1.jpg
    Invocep1.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Invoicep2.jpg
    Invoicep2.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Informative
Reactions: greenbert
Got my quote today $1,127.20.
My quote says $175 for the fuse, R&R Fuse $556.50 + $381.80 R&R HV Battery, so after they remove the HV Battery it takes $556.50 worth of labor to replace the fuse, that's B.S.
Exactly 8 1/2yrs for message to pop up.
What will happen if I drive pass the reported 6months to fix it will it be undriveable?
My luck the HV Battery will drop a message after (IF) I do this fix and have to pay for another R&R Battery.
But it was nice of Tesla to "Goodwill" my remote support to confirm I had the error fuse needs replacement could of easily charged me a hour labor ($265) at Costa Mesa SC., Bast****.

Anyone wants to buy a 68k mileage P85D/MCU2?
I think they messed up. The 1.0/1.5 fuse replacement labor should already include the pack removal and reinstall.

I think they messed up. The 1.0/1.5 fuse replacement labor should already include the pack removal and reinstall.
They sent me a revised estimate after I inquired about the double charge and what do you know, they put the two charges together and instead of separate, same price. Something is fishy. Cancelled my appointment, lets see what happens in 6 months, if they will completely disabled my vehicle or not.

They sent me a revised estimate after I inquired about the double charge and what do you know, they put the two charges together and instead of separate, same price. Something is fishy. Cancelled my appointment, lets see what happens in 6 months, if they will completely disabled my vehicle or not.
Yeah, the service manual lists the book time for the procedure as 2.1 hours. At $269/hour that would be $564.90 in labor. Anything more than that and they don't know what they are doing.

1693263057486.png

And as far as I can tell that 2.1 hours includes the time to drop and reinstall the battery. (It would seem that it is just over 1.5 hours for the battery R&R.)

The service procedure also lists the part numbers for the fuses and how they are powered:
1693263132585.png

That sounds off...
All correction codes also have an associated Flat Rate Time (FRT) that indicates how long it takes to perform an entire procedure. FRTs represent the amount of hands-on time (administrative, diagnostic, etc. is not included), and are calculated by trained professionals performing the procedure in a controlled environment numerous times. The FRTs are listed in decimal hours. For example, a procedure with an FRT of 1.1 takes 1 hour and 6 minutes to perform. A procedure with an FRT of 0.25 takes 15 minutes to perform. The minimum FRT time is 0.05, or 3 minutes.

Unless explicitly mentioned in a procedure, the correction code FRT for any given procedure is all inclusive, and encompasses all work required to complete the procedure, even if that procedure is at top-level and has subordinate procedures. Similarly, the correction codes FRTs of all subordinate procedures within a top-level procedure are included (but hidden) within the top-level procedure's correction code FRT.

To prevent redundant and incorrect billing of FRT time, do not add the correction code FRTs of subordinate procedures individually to the correction code FRT of the top-level procedure. Instead, bill only the top-level correction code FRT.

In this case, a bottom fuse plus pack R&R = top side fuse replacement: 0.54 + 1.44 = 1.98 roughly 2.10.
(The 2.28 hours version is remove and replace vs remove and install)

SmartSelect_20230828_184158_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20230828_184546_Firefox.jpg

Same problem, battery warranty expires 2024. For replacing the fuse, I got 2 different quotes from 2 service centers

1. $483
2. 1164

For the same exact service. One tech will take 1 hour, another lazy tech 3 hours.

Update, so I got a quote from a 3rd service center.

1. Service Center #1 quoted $483 to replace the HV fuse

2. Service Center #2 quoted $1164 to replace the HV fuse

3. Service Center #3 quoted $318 to replace the HV fuse

Tesla service pricing is almost random

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Mirlen
The message showed up on my Feb. 2017 Model S this week. I have an appointment tomorrow but this is the response I got from the service department. View attachment 967414
Basic warranty should cover this. What we were talking about is the battery warranty which is different. My car's battery warranty is unlimited miles/8 years. The fuse is part of the battery, and thus should be covered. However, Tesla conveniently marks the fuse as a maintenance item/consumable. Tesla Service used to be amazing in 2016-2018, Ever since the model 3 came out, service is garbage, as is everything else about Tesla.