Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

battery fuse requires replacement soon? what is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The early Model S have a battery driven pyro fuse, with a local lithium battery internal that has like a 10 year life. This was discontinued years ago, but those early pyros need to be replaced. I am not sure if the new one will be the redesigned ones, or if Tesla stove piped them to only use the old type pyro fuse.

I just got the notification this morning on my 2017 Model S. that ain't exactly 10 years... I just submitted a mobile service request.

IMG_0476.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Yeah, I remember thinking this was a really bad idea at the time they introduced it. A non-rechargeable battery in a really difficult to access location. Seems like a great idea!! Really screwing future owners once out of warranty.
That’s a pretty negative take. I’ll take the fuse replacement over a timing belt replacement any day.

The battery operated design should have been introduced with the new battery casing where the access is easy from the bottom. The only complicated ones are probably the Loudicrous upgraded P85Ds and any of the traditional 60/70/85 that had a failure on the fuse and was repaced by this. Doesn's seem like a big deal when compared wit other issues.

The later energy harvesting design is much better. But there's a bunch of cars that will have this problem.
Yeah, isn’t the current design all managed by one of the integrated control PCBs? I think one of the CPUs monitors current and what the car is doing in real time and then sends a pyro blow current to the fuse when emergency parameters are hit.

Yeah, isn’t the current design all managed by one of the integrated control PCBs? I think one of the CPUs monitors current and what the car is doing in real time and then sends a pyro blow current to the fuse when emergency parameters are hit.
I think on the 3/Y that was the update. I think the S/X pyro fuse retrofit harvests energy from the current shunt and stores it in a rechargeable battery. There was a teardown on YouTube, but I watched it a while ago

No. The HV pyro fuse is entirely self-contained and has no connections other than HV going through it. It quickly blows when the current exceeds a preset level. It is far more precise than the typical non-electronic fuses and disconnects far quicker than non-electronic fuses. Our vehicles also have traditional fuses on the non-motor lower power HV connections, such as the HVAC compressor.

There is a low voltage pyro fuse that is software-controlled. This is used to disconnect the 12v under some extreme conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: maximizese
tesla tols me they are being proactive by all these going off before 8 yr life span..sucks its not just covered under battery warranty..Think if they have 100k cars that need this at 300-800 a car...its a cash grab
I disagree. It's unfortunate for the consumer but I think it's quite a leap to claim it's a cash grab....from a company that has $22.4B in cash and equivalents.