Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

battery fuse requires replacement soon? what is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. It's unfortunate for the consumer but I think it's quite a leap to claim it's a cash grab....from a company that has $22.4B in cash and equivalents.
Yeah, probably not considering they don't need more cars in service since they can't already handle what they have. But how the hell is this not covered under the 8yr battery warranty? It's literally buried in the battery.

Yeah, probably not considering they don't need more cars in service since they can't already handle what they have. But how the hell is this not covered under the 8yr battery warranty? It's literally buried in the battery.
I agree. I would cover it under goodwill if I were running things. You get a lot more in PR than if you charged the customer for this item, especially if it within the warranty period.

The early Model S have a battery driven pyro fuse, with a local lithium battery internal that has like a 10 year life. This was discontinued years ago, but those early pyros need to be replaced. I am not sure if the new one will be the redesigned ones, or if Tesla stove piped them to only use the old type pyro fuse.

Not that early. First introduced on 90 packs in 2016.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Agree on the battery warranty comments. My ‘16 90D got the message a few days ago. Even though my car is only 7.5 years old and it’s a “10 year fuse,” there is likely a normal distribution of failures around the 10-year mid point. Since it sounds like the failure makes the car inoperable, they are likely popping this message early — at the left edge of the distribution to prevent mass failures.

Palo Alto service center is charging $356. Interested in costs for other regions.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
The eventual battery failure in the Pryo fuse does not make the car inoperable. You can use the car for 30 years. What fails is the ability to sense an overload and break the HV connection in that exceptionally rare event. Failing to open the connection under this failure condition could melt wires and damage the battery, so it's sort of important to have a working pyro fuse. The warning is only time-based, and the car has no idea of the actual pyro battery state.

Slightly unrelated, I designed a phone back in 1982 that used a soldered non-rechargeable lithium battery to keep the CMOS memory alive, since flash memory was not affordable back then. Our design life target at the time was 15 years. I have three of those phones that still work. The batteries have lasted 38 years (these phones were made in 1985).

That covers the HV battery, not the pyro, 12v, or fob battery.
Tesla just did mine for free. They said it is now covered under the HV warranty. If you previously paid, I'd reach out for reimbursement. Seems like a recent decision.
1000011421.png

Tesla just did mine for free. They said it is now covered under the HV warranty. If you previously paid, I'd reach out for reimbursement. Seems like a recent decision.View attachment 979718
Good to know. I'm in the process of selling our 2016 70D and got the HV battery fuse alert this morning after doing a factory reset - was supposed to drop it off today!

Fortunately I was able to get a service appointment at 9:00 on Monday morning and I will definitely bookmark this thread as justification that this is a warranty repair.

Had my fuse replaced on Thursday, 5 October at the Loveland Colorado service center. No charge. Took about 1 1/2 hours total time.

Loveland service is a great center to work with. Timely and very responsive. I've always been very pleased with their professionalism and attention to detail.

Surprised the "10 year" battery in these are lasting only 7 years. Why isn't it covered under the 8 year battery warranty? It's a component in the battery.
I really hate Tesla's fine print on warranty items versus wearable items. If someone has successfully brought a suit (via arbitration since I think Tesla "won" against class action lawsuit by making all litigants go through arbitration route first) against Tesla on this point, "fuse is part of the battery" then please let me know.
I really hate have to throw money at Tesla for their poor design (i.e., lack of serviceability).

I really hate Tesla's fine print on warranty items versus wearable items. If someone has successfully brought a suit (via arbitration since I think Tesla "won" against class action lawsuit by making all litigants go through arbitration route first) against Tesla on this point, "fuse is part of the battery" then please let me know.
I really hate have to throw money at Tesla for their poor design (i.e., lack of serviceability).
It looks like they changed course and now agreed the fuse is covered under warranty. Good news.

Reactions: David Harvey