Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

battery fuse requires replacement soon? what is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the notice myself. 2016 MS. I, for one, am happy that they are being proactive and throwing this error early before all of us hit our 8-year HV expiration. While I was at it I asked them to do a full battery health check since my warranty will be up in about 6 months. They couldn't fit me in today but agreed to do it under warranty as a precaution and set me up for a future appointment.

Reactions: siamnet
So they apparently put the wrong fuse in my car. I punched it hard about 6 miles from the service center and had to pay for a tow to them. $207. I’ve sent them a receipt and the towing was arranged thru Tesla roadside. So far no check in the mail. They closed my original fuse service case and I’ve opened another case inquiring where my check is. Gads.

So they apparently put the wrong fuse in my car. I punched it hard about 6 miles from the service center and had to pay for a tow to them. $207. I’ve sent them a receipt and the towing was arranged thru Tesla roadside. So far no check in the mail. They closed my original fuse service case and I’ve opened another case inquiring where my check is. Gads.
Oh wow..sorry to hear that.

Oh wow..sorry to hear that.
Saga continues.... Tesla mobile serivce took about a week to reply to my "made up service case concerning reimbursement for the tow".... they said they don't deal with reimbursement and closed the case. I called the service center in Savannah and that guy said it was lost and reopened the case. Waiting for reponse again..... I'm just going to keep nagging them. In so far as I know the pyro fuse was good in the car, they asked me to bring the car in and they installed the wrong fuse... I shouldn't have to pay for the tow.

Saga continues.... Tesla mobile serivce took about a week to reply to my "made up service case concerning reimbursement for the tow".... they said they don't deal with reimbursement and closed the case. I called the service center in Savannah and that guy said it was lost and reopened the case. Waiting for reponse again..... I'm just going to keep nagging them. In so far as I know the pyro fuse was good in the car, they asked me to bring the car in and they installed the wrong fuse... I shouldn't have to pay for the tow.
Holy crap...too bad, can't sue Tesla until you have exhaust arbitration route first. If it wasn't for the mandatory arbitration, I'd sue them in small claim court on the principal of it all.

When those techs replaced my fuse, they disconnected both of my interior aftermarket dash cams (one was pointing inside the vehicle and other points at the front view). The techs didn't bother reconnecting them back. Makes you wonder why they had to disable them to replace my pyro fuse? I'm sure they needed access to the Ethernet port inside the vehicle to reset the software but does that give them the right to to my own personal property?
I can see their side of disabling their own internal cameras once the car is in service mode to be worked on inside the shop but disabling my aftermarket cameras?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
You can go straight to small claims. No need to arbitrate first. This is explicitly allowed in the contract.
Good to know since I wasn't able to find the actual contract that states arbitration first and was relying on hearsay information from the news relating to the either the California court or federal court that forced all the litigants in a class action lawsuit to follow the arbitration route first.

When those techs replaced my fuse, they disconnected both of my interior aftermarket dash cams (one was pointing inside the vehicle and other points at the front view). The techs didn't bother reconnecting them back. Makes you wonder why they had to disable them to replace my pyro fuse? I'm sure they needed access to the Ethernet port inside the vehicle to reset the software but does that give them the right to to my own personal property?
I can see their side of disabling their own internal cameras once the car is in service mode to be worked on inside the shop but disabling my aftermarket cameras?
It is common practice for Tesla Service to disconnect third-party dash cams while the car is in service. They'll disconnect it for any and all service. They most likely created this policy to avoid service people getting recorded saying inappropriate things.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
It is common practice for Tesla Service to disconnect third-party dash cams while the car is in service. They'll disconnect it for any and all service. They most likely created this policy to avoid service people getting recorded saying inappropriate things.
So, it's their policy then should it be communicated to the customer? They are not always forthright with explaining policies and/or giving a heads up. It would be nice to know if it's their policy and would be nice if the techs can kindly reconnect it back up when done.

This was the first time that I had any idea that the cameras were disconnected. I guess other service times of my vehicle, they were diligent in reconnecting.

So, it's their policy then should it be communicated to the customer? They are not always forthright with explaining policies and/or giving a heads up. It would be nice to know if it's their policy and would be nice if the techs can kindly reconnect it back up when done.

This was the first time that I had any idea that the cameras were disconnected. I guess other service times of my vehicle, they were diligent in reconnecting.
I agree there is a lot Tesla Service could do better. It becomes more challenging when their goal is to have all communication via the Tesla app, which doesn't always work (I can't seem to book a service appointment with it right now).

I know how annoying it is when they disconnect the dashcam. They once (and only once) left a card hanging from my rearview mirror indicating that they had disconnected my dashcam. Maybe they stopped doing that because they figured everyone understood the policy? I doubt they would ever re-connect the dashcam, as that opens them up to legal issues (eg. they screw it up during hookup and damage the dashcam).

For a while, I had a Blackvue Tamper-proof case that prevented them from disconnecting it, but I couldn't use it with the Blend Mount, so I gave up on the tamper-proof case.

Early on, you could Email [email protected] to recommend/suggest new features, and Tesla actually implemented one of my recommendations. Not sure if they still do that, but it couldn't hurt to email them a recommendation to make it standard practice to leave a card hanging from rearview mirror if they disconnect a dashcam. At the very least, they could send a message via the Tesla app.

Last edited:
Reactions: siamnet
Early on, you could Email [email protected] to recommend/suggest new features, and Tesla actually implemented one of my recommendations. Not sure if they still do that, but it couldn't hurt to email them a recommendation to make it standard practice to leave a card hanging from rearview mirror if they disconnect a dashcam. At the very least, they could send a message via the Tesla app.
I guess you could also use the Tesla App -> Service -> Ask a Question.

This is what I wrote to Tesla:
When your service team works on customer cars, I can understand the reasons for disconnecting third-party dashcams (I guess mainly applies to pre-2017 Model-S and Model-X). However, it would a great customer-service gesture if you were to hang a card from the rear-view mirror indicating that you had done so.

This card would not only inform the customer that the dashcam has been disconnected, but it will also serve as a reminder to the customer to plug it back in. There have been numerous times that I hadn't noticed that my dashcam had been disconnected for a few days after picking it up from service.

Reactions: siamnet and vcor