Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

battery fuse requires replacement soon? what is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you have the ludicrous upgrade? Only 85 batteries that have the Pyro fuse are the ones removed to upgrade to the inconel contractors and add the pryo fuse for Ludicrous.
Nope no upgrade to Ludicrous. I see an Insane+ option in the car but definitely no Ludicrous. No battery changes done on this car, it’s running original spec.

What if anything should I mention to the service rep folks? I messaged them to confirm that my car does indeed need this. Waiting for a resonse.

Nope no upgrade to Ludicrous. I see an Insane+ option in the car but definitely no Ludicrous. No battery changes done on this car, it’s running original spec.

What if anything should I mention to the service rep folks? I messaged them to confirm that my car does indeed need this. Waiting for a resonse.
You should mention that your battery doesn't have a Pyro fuse. It only has the thermal fuse which does not have any sort of power supply. If you're really getting the error then my assumption is the software calculates battery life for your non existent Pyro fuse and is throwing a fake error. You probably need a configuration update to clear it, not an actual fuse replacement.

Sad thing is they will probably still charge you for it anyways.

You should mention that your battery doesn't have a Pyro fuse. It only has the thermal fuse which does not have any sort of power supply. If you're really getting the error then my assumption is the software calculates battery life for your non existent Pyro fuse and is throwing a fake error. You probably need a configuration update to clear it, not an actual fuse replacement.

Sad thing is they will probably still charge you for it anyways.
Thanks. Will reach out to another service center and see what they say. Current one is saying that they are indeed going to replace the fuse.

My March 2015 built P85D got the $5,000 Insane to Ludicrous upgrade in January 2018.

I haven’t received a warning to replace the Ludicrous battery powered pyro fuse so I’m guessing the battery fuse “countdown” began January 2018 when the ludicrous upgrade was installed… not it’s January 2015 build date.

1) When should I expect to see this “replace fuse” warning?

2) Will Tesla cover this as “goodwill” since I’m out of warranty?

Original owner + original 85kWh battery + Ludicrous upgrade. Currently at 81,000 miles.

Ludicrous button.jpeg

Last edited:
Not for at least a few more years. I thought they stopped offering the P85D -> L upgrade in early 2017.
Tesla did stop offering the Ludicrous upgrade in 2017 but I had ordered it before the through my Tesla app and Tesla said the Upgrade was backordered... and they'd contact me when they had the parts available. The didn't and when I followed up Tesla acknowledged they'd dropped the ball. After some pushing, Tesla finally installed my P85D's Ludicrous Upgrade in January 2018.... Supposedly THE last P85D Ludicrous upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Update:

So I finally got the service done at Richmond, TX service center. They ended up billing me $310 after taxes for this service. Service was pretty fast and they claimed fuse was changed but from how they were explaining it ("fuse will be compliant with all future software upgrades") it felt like a software change. I did mention to them that I don't think my car (P85D) does not have the fuse but they claimed it did :).

Update:

So I finally got the service done at Richmond, TX service center. They ended up billing me $310 after taxes for this service. Service was pretty fast and they claimed fuse was changed but from how they were explaining it ("fuse will be compliant with all future software upgrades") it felt like a software change. I did mention to them that I don't think my car (P85D) does not have the fuse but they claimed it did :).
Original battery? Insane and not Ludicrous?