Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Imbalance after 8 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another cell imbalance question. My cell difference is .006v which seems good to me.
The range says low 3.882 and high 3.888. Only 1 cell is 3.882, 2 cells are 3.889 so don't know why it says max is 3.888. And the majority of them are 3.888.
With only one cell (cell# 95) being 3.882, none are 3.883, only 3 are 3.884, does that mean that cell# 95 may fail down the road ?

Attachments

• IMG_1225.PNG
    IMG_1225.PNG
    434.4 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_1226.PNG
    IMG_1226.PNG
    366.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1227.PNG
    IMG_1227.PNG
    479.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1228.PNG
    IMG_1228.PNG
    509.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1229.PNG
    IMG_1229.PNG
    507.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1230.PNG
    IMG_1230.PNG
    131.8 KB · Views: 172
Hi All,

Been an owner since 2013 of a model S85. Really love this car, had an early charging issue, liftgate replaced, side mirror replacement and experienced the touchscreen glue issue (upgraded Dash and touchscreen, now have caraoke). Ive been planning on just using this car until the motor conks out or battery degrades to zero.

Unfortunately, just a few days ago, just 3 months after my 8th year, i received an MCU_w029 error. After arranging for service, technician said its a battery imbalance and the quote is 20-25K to replace a battery of a 2013 model s85 (83K miles). From 235 miles full charge down to 119miles.

I dont think it makes sense to spend that money on replacing the battery compared to resale value (a year ago, tesla said 16K trade-in). Im looking for alternative fixes.

Worst thing about this is that if i bought a model x (was planning on buying one prior to this issue), i will still have raffle tickets for another battery imbalance draw after 8 years, making me unsure if i should continue buying tesla.

Curious to see how owners feel about the battery imbalance issue, especially those with cars 2012- 2013.

@emil.aguinaldo - So, what did you end up doing?

Reactions: dark cloud
@emil.aguinaldo - So, what did you end up doing?
I talked to @wk057 team and also reached out to Tesla for a diagnostic, to get a close enough quote. They said they need to run diagnostic and check for compatibility, see if i can get the price down with a reman. Anyway, im gonna wait on the final estimate before deciding which way to go. Im scheduled to come in on december

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Don't think so. I would recommend this thread below.

So if your car is in perfect shape after 8-10 yrs and you like it..wouldnt an investment into a new battery pack be worth it? At 10-25k? I mean you could take that $$ and buy into a new tesla but you will spend alot more...
I wonder if in the next 5-10 yrs if you will be able to even get replacement battery packs?? for your "older tech" batteries? Or will they use the new battery tech to make a cpompatible pack if you own a 75/85/100 older car? Or will even a 100 be able to work in a 75 car? I mean there are alot of questions.

Reactions: Myfirstone
So if your car is in perfect shape after 8-10 yrs and you like it..wouldnt an investment into a new battery pack be worth it? At 10-25k? I mean you could take that $$ and buy into a new tesla but you will spend alot more...
I wonder if in the next 5-10 yrs if you will be able to even get replacement battery packs?? for your "older tech" batteries? Or will they use the new battery tech to make a cpompatible pack if you own a 75/85/100 older car? Or will even a 100 be able to work in a 75 car? I mean there are alot of questions.
Definitely looking to keeping it. Last i asked Tesla they will only do a battery of the same capacity.

…Or will even a 100 be able to work in a 75 car?
A 100 isn’t Crash tested with the standard suspension. The battery is too heavy. But Tesla and third parties have been known to put 100s in air suspension 75Ds. I don’t know that Tesla ever software locks those back to 75 as there wasn’t a factory 100 locked to 75.
…if in 10 yrs they still have/make 75 batteries i guess.
I doubt they make 75kWh S/X batteries anymore. If they make 14 module S/X packs at all they will be the new 85s. Tesla typically software locks them down to 75 since that was a factory configuration.

But I can’t imagine Tesla will keep that battery line open long even if it is still running since the new S/X don’t use the old modules and packs. It would be interesting to know their strategy for warranty replacements.

Another cell imbalance question. My cell difference is .006v which seems good to me.
The range says low 3.882 and high 3.888. Only 1 cell is 3.882, 2 cells are 3.889 so don't know why it says max is 3.888. And the majority of them are 3.888.
With only one cell (cell# 95) being 3.882, none are 3.883, only 3 are 3.884, does that mean that cell# 95 may fail down the road ?
Which app is this? How to get this data?

Which app is this? How to get this data?
Just saw this now, sorry. Scan My Tesla app, OBD reader, and the adapter depending on what year car you have. It only takes about 2 minutes to install it. You pop out the cubby under the main screen and in there you'll see the plug that the adapter and reader plug into. I have mine hanging out about 4" on the side of the cubby cause once in a while I have to unplug the reader and plug it back in to work.

Just saw this now, sorry. Scan My Tesla app, OBD reader, and the adapter depending on what year car you have. It only takes about 2 minutes to install it. You pop out the cubby under the main screen and in there you'll see the plug that the adapter and reader plug into. I have mine hanging out about 4" on the side of the cubby cause once in a while I have to unplug the reader and plug it back in to work.
Great thanks!

Hi All,

Been an owner since 2013 of a model S85. Really love this car, had an early charging issue, liftgate replaced, side mirror replacement and experienced the touchscreen glue issue (upgraded Dash and touchscreen, now have caraoke). Ive been planning on just using this car until the motor conks out or battery degrades to zero.

Unfortunately, just a few days ago, just 3 months after my 8th year, i received an MCU_w029 error. After arranging for service, technician said its a battery imbalance and the quote is 20-25K to replace a battery of a 2013 model s85 (83K miles). From 235 miles full charge down to 119miles.

I dont think it makes sense to spend that money on replacing the battery compared to resale value (a year ago, tesla said 16K trade-in). Im looking for alternative fixes.

Worst thing about this is that if i bought a model x (was planning on buying one prior to this issue), i will still have raffle tickets for another battery imbalance draw after 8 years, making me unsure if i should continue buying tesla.

Curious to see how owners feel about the battery imbalance issue, especially those with cars 2012- 2013.
What did you end up doing? I just got the same error 😔 my battery just went down to 91 miles

Tesla just replaced the HV battery in my 2013 P85+ with 308,402 miles on it. They installed a 90kw pack, new 12v battery, upgraded rear control arms and did a four wheel alignment for $15,500. When the car was new I got 265 miles of range. Now it gets 298 miles of range.
My new (in 2016) MS90D showed 299mile range the day I picked it up. You did ok I'd say.