Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery life - limited recharge cycles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s the opposite. The Model S was designed to be able to swap the battery in minutes. They had a battery swap station for a while at Harris Ranch.

I think that was when they were thinking propane tank swap model and save charging times. Apparently people didn't want that vs SC and "owning" the battery.

As as it stands now would it be fair to say that M3 Battery replacement would be cheaper than MS?

Reactions: StealthP3D
does that have to do with M3 being modular vs MS?

The Model S/X have the entire battery swappable. Tesla had plans for battery swap stations to be able to drive long distance without having to wait for charging. A battery swap station was built but the demand was so low that they closed it dropped the idea altogether. The Model 3 battery was therefore never designed to be replaced as a whole unit quickly. While the Model S/X battery pack only contains the battery cells, the cooling loop and some electronics to measure battery relevant data, the Model 3 pack has the DCDC converter and chargers included as well. So definitely not something you want to just swap as an entire unit.

The way the cells are put together is modular in both packs, though. The Model S/X has 16 modules. The Model 3 has 4 modules. So in both types it is possible to replace modules individually. The S/X battery pack is very hard to open and even harder to close again (needs new parts). I don't think it was mean to be opened and serviced much. The Model 3 battery pack can be opened easier.

• Informative
Reactions: StealthP3D
Haha. You only have to remove the interior. The Model S is way easier, pretty sure all the bolts are on the bottom and the coolant connections automatically seal when you remove it.

Other than an early warranty battery replacement, this is the kind of thing that's analogous to a motor rebuild, it's only going to be done twice if the car goes a million miles. And don't look at the jokers in the video and think a Tesla service center would do it the same way - they actually know what they are doing. That video was painful to watch. I'm surprised no one got hurt!

Reactions: bd7349
How many of you replace the iPhone battery when the battery performance is subpar?
You trade it in or sell it and buy a new iPhone because the new phones are better in terms of technology.
We are talking maybe 2 or 3 years.
For Tesla cars, in 7-10 years, the technology will be so much different and advanced that you will want a new Tesla anyway.
Swapping the batteries will not be the mainstream.

Reactions: Zoomit and kbecks13
How many of you replace the iPhone battery when the battery performance is subpar?
You trade it in or sell it and buy a new iPhone because the new phones are better in terms of technology.
We are talking maybe 2 or 3 years.
For Tesla cars, in 7-10 years, the technology will be so much different and advanced that you will want a new Tesla anyway.
Swapping the batteries will not be the mainstream.

I'm not the best person to defend this as I do replace the batteries on my iPhone (I'm not spending $1000 every other year when I can but a battery on Amazon for $25), but here is another example...

The technology of equipment of my house is much more advanced now than when I bought my house, I didn't buy a new house, I just upgraded the equipment over time. While only discussing batteries on here, there is nothing stopping anyone on upgrading the technology as well (Tesla is already doing it with HW3 and they have offered upgraded MCUs the Model S).

Historically Tesla updates any new car made with the latest technology that they have. New cars won't need/require a replacement. Just like new cars today are coming with HW3 installed.

So.....I'm not sure what you are saying.

You sure about that? I Thought HW1 people can't get the new stuff because they lack the camera setup the current fleet has.

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333
I agree with Scaesare.

For some perspective, i remember when I thought 120k miles on a Honda was a lot. Most current vehicle owners get very worried when their ICE cars pass 100k miles. Having a design that could support 300k miles is beyond what I believe other car manufacturers design their vehicles for and it does enter the commercial duty realm. Besides, 300k miles at an average 15k miles per year would take you 20 years with a lower cost for maintenance. Not a bad design spec. in my opinion. Most will buy a new car on the average of 6-8 years?? I'm probably being generous with those numbers too if you look at the age of used car sales.

I saw the tweet, but it seems light on any facts or evidence that there is something unique about the construction of an M3 that makes it “commercial grade” or able to achieve such high mileage figures. I know the motors are rated for 1 million miles, but what’s so unique about the rest of the car that would make it so much more durable than the average ICE car?

You sure about that? I Thought HW1 people can't get the new stuff because they lack the camera setup the current fleet has.

FWIW there are no HW1 model 3s (and only a small minority of total fleet is HW1 at all by this point)

HW2 and newer cars can all be upgraded to HW3 if they've purchased FSD (well, they CAN be regardless, but only those who bought FSD will get the upgrade free)

Battery replacement should get less expensive over time. Today's prices probably put it 8-9k+, but the 5-7k price mentioned is probably assuming the first ones will not have to be replaced until 5 years from now.

While the video posted above makes it seem like a nightmare to get the pack in/out, Tesla probably has a procedure to make it a lot easier since they know in advance how it all works, unlike the video where they were trying to figure it all out. But, I bet there is a hefty labor charge along with that pack hardware.

And don't look at the jokers in the video and think a Tesla service center would do it the same way - they actually know what they are doing.

Kind of like those guys at the Ford dealer, with your oil change, knew what they were doing? ;)

Anyway, this battery/module replacement does not look too difficult. If you know exactly where all the bolts (especially the interior ones) and coolant disconnects are, I imagine that would speed things up a bit. Looks a little easier than an engine replacement, which seems like the relevant comparison. Hopefully it does not have to be done more than once every 15 years or so!

I believe the MCU can be upgraded. I was told the camera setup upgrade is impossible.

HW1 is some Tesla’s prior to Nov 2016 running Mobileye technology.

Those are done.

HW 2.0 cars is supposed to have MCU swap capabilities. Those cars for S/X are end 2016 to I want to say early 2018. Don’t recall exactly when S/X got 2.5.

Every Model 3 built prior to say May 2019 has HW2.5.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh