Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Range after year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'22 MYP With little over a year of ownership and 10,800 miles, my full charge is at 276 from the EPA 305. Honestly I never once saw a full 305, more like 302 was the best, but whatever. Over the weekend I tried to do the recalibration. Ran it down to 2%, and charged back to 100. Still 276miles.

How's everyone's battery after a year and or 10k miles?

• Informative
Reactions: Msicario and El joe
my '21 LR is at 47k miles and it says full charge is 311 right now... its typically anywhere from 305 to 315 down new from 326

basically i dont worry about it anymore worst case i lose 20% in 8 years ill still have close to 200k miles and still have like 250 mile range

did you leave it at 100% for a couple hours? i heard u needed to do that to recalibrate.. ive not tried myself haven't hit 100% yet

Last edited:
Reactions: Art84
my '21 LR is at 47k miles and it says full charge is 311 right now... its typically anywhere from 305 to 315 down new from 316

basically i dont worry about it anymore worst case i lose 20% in 8 years ill still have close to 200k miles and still have like 250 mile range

did you leave it at 100% for a couple hours? i heard u needed to do that to recalibrate.. ive not tried myself haven't hit 100% yet
No, it was at a SC so I was out at 100. I'll try again at home next time.

Yeah, it just sucks to potentially have lost 10% of my range already.
If it makes you feel better, that all happened in the first 18mo and then it just stopped.

I take 1-2 trips a year that require recharging on the road so it only matters for ~4 days out of the year for me. Since I can't control it, and I have a few years of full car warranty left, I'll reevaluate keeping the car right before it expires.

22 MYP. I drive watching percentage rather than miles. After just over a year, it still takes the exact same percentage to travel the same distance under similar conditions as when new. I interpret this as zero discernible degradation. Customarily run 30 to 90 percent with occasional deeper cycles like 100 to 10. So far only charged on a level 2 charger. Normally only charge when it's getting low. No noticeable loss when not in use but sentry is off at longer term destinations. Very pleased with the car overall and was expecting to see some range loss but not.

I have a 2020 Model Y Long Range. Original range was 326 but I don't recall ever verifying that.

It's now at 76,200+ miles. 71% charge shows 206 miles, making it 290 miles full range. That is 88.95% of the original capacity. Slightly less than forecast.

I've had my 2022 MYLR since May of last year, so around 15 months. If you look at the TeslaFi Battery Degradation report, you can see that my range (the blue line) goes way below average and back up to above average. I wouldn't sweat it too much. I am surprised at how much it varies.

1691691811344.png

23 MYLR has lost 3 miles of range after 7 months and 4700 miles. I tried to charge it to 100% this morning and it now shows 327 miles if charged to 100%. I recall it used to say 330 miles in the past. Wondering if this has something to do with the update I received last night or just that the capacity is reducing. I ask about the update because I was wondering if they now use a different way to calculate range in miles? Its also possible that it might have been gradually going down and I did not notice. Does anyone have a graph of range loss vs time or miles driven? I would like to see if I my MYLR is trending in the right direction.

(Using "miles indicated" isn't an accurate way of measuring degradation)
It's perfectly fine. There are caveats with respect to it only measuring degradation relative to the degradation threshold.

But Tessie doesn't really help with that. If you look around you can get the "correct" starting point and get all the percentages correct relative to that within Tessie. Sometimes the starting point for a pack for a given model & model year is quite different from the degradation threshold, but sometimes it's quite close.

But anyway nothing wrong with using miles to measure degradation relative to the degradation threshold. Just have to keep in mind that initial "hidden" capacity loss above the threshold (usually just 1-2%).

It's all just an estimate from the BMS, but that's the best estimate in the world for your pack. And whether done manually or using Tessie, they're both subject to the errors in that estimate.