Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery usage more than actual miles after update 2019.32.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No it won't actually. There was some Tesla employee that came out and said there is only battery degradation of it doesn't charge to 100% anymore. I have no knowledge of it but am going off what he or she claimed
That can’t be correct. Even my iPhone shows 100% charge when the actual capacity (due to degradation) is around 87%. I think the charge will always indicate 100% regardless of whatever actual battery capacity you may have left.

I'm not positive anymore what the range remaining means but it can x-checked with a long test drive if the Wh/mile and SoC meters are reasonably accurate:
Energy (Wh) taken can be accurately measured as can the miles driven. Thus Wh/mi reports are pretty accurate. SoC is difficult to measure. That is why assessing the battery's charge capacity requires multiple measurements over time as discussed extensively in this forum (but not this thread).

Reactions: outdoors
Energy (Wh) taken can be accurately measured as can the miles driven. Thus Wh/mi reports are pretty accurate. SoC is difficult to measure. That is why assessing the battery's charge capacity requires multiple measurements over time as discussed extensively in this forum (but not this thread).
I imagine the bigger problem is hysteresis so it is probably wise to try and test the same-ish Soc interval -- say 75 to 25% SoC

Hysteresis? One of the big advantages of Li ion batteries is that they are coulomb efficient i.e. what you put in is what you get out.

It is wise to estimate capacity based on measurements taken over a wide spread of SoC because voltage isn't a very strong function of charge (charge isn't very "observable"). Also note that SoC is reported to us in units of whole percent. Thus estimation of capacity based on observation of charge added divided by a small SoC delta are considerably corrupted by rounding (quantization) noise.

Haha.... 100% on the display does not mean your original capacity. (If so, why did we get 100% reading on our 1st model S after 185,000 miles? - even if the range stated considerably less than when new.)
Once went over 400 miles from a high altitude location to sea level averaging 35 mph. Still, it never showed over 100%

I know what hysteresis is. But I didn't think it would be that big in Li ion batteries. In any case, this is one of the reasons that battery state is measured on charges only. Also note that the paper (looks interesting - I downloaded it) is based on LiFePO4 chemistry and the Telsas have (or at least my X does - believe the 3's have a different chemistry) LiNiCoAL.

That can’t be correct. Even my iPhone shows 100% charge when the actual capacity (due to degradation) is around 87%. I think the charge will always indicate 100% regardless of whatever actual battery capacity you may have left.
If you go to Setting>Battery>BatteryHealth, it'll show you your current Max Capacity. My 2 yr old iPhone X shows 98%. So, while the front-facing screen will show you've charged to 100% of current capacity, if you look in your settings, and check battery health, you'll see that current capacity is 98% of the original design capacity.

It might not be so bad if Tesla did something similar.

Reactions: gecko10x
Hi,
Looks like my car battery is depleting more miles (around 20% more) than the actual miles driven. E.g. if I drive 29 miles, it is using 37 miles from battery. Anyone having similar issue? Any fix?
Thanks.
Paras.
I am having the same issue. I only have 7,500 miles on my car. I use Teslafi. I don't drive my car any different than I did before. It started after the 2019.32 update and has dropped off more with the other updates as well. Monday through Friday I drive my car the same route at the same times. I have 3.77% battery degradation at 7,547 miles. Does that mean at 75,000 miles I will have 37% degradation? I don't think so. The 310 mile range was based on a prior software version. I think the newer version is showing the car being a slight less efficient. So the degradation looks bad. But in reality I don't believe the battery has changed just the efficiency in the way the car uses it. Hope this helps. If you are a data person I suggest Teslafi.
Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 7.46.16 AM.png