Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BBC podcasts not available in Spotify

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice this?

With a recent update we now have podcasts in Spotify, which is great.

However I have noticed that any BBC related podcast is greyed out so you can’t play any episodes. Other podcasts are fine.

I can still access them from Tunein but not in Spotify, it is as if it believes we are in another country.

Any ideas?

Will be interesting to see how long the eSim remains with a Dutch provider.

Using your mobile in EU and EEA countries after the UK leaves the EU

It seems EU roaming is no longer guaranteed following Brexit. This page states EE, o2 and Vodafone have no plans to change their current roaming plans...but doesn’t necessarily mean the Dutch provider will do the same.

Hopefully we’ll get a UK eSim provider so we can access BBC podcasts and iPlayer

Will be interesting to see how long the eSim remains with a Dutch provider.

Using your mobile in EU and EEA countries after the UK leaves the EU

It seems EU roaming is no longer guaranteed following Brexit. This page states EE, o2 and Vodafone have no plans to change their current roaming plans...but doesn’t necessarily mean the Dutch provider will do the same.

Hopefully we’ll get a UK eSim provider so we can access BBC podcasts and iPlayer

Roaming is assured. Free roaming is not.
https://assets.publishing.service.g...tachment_data/file/948093/TCA_SUMMARY_PDF.pdf

Para 53 & 54

The BBC require certain features to be available on a platform to allow them to monitor usage. If the platform cannot support that, normally achieved via a login, then BBC can block access to their content. Podcasts differ from normal BBC content as they are distributed via other third party channels so may be subject to different restrictions.

Reactions: boombap and Giri99
I think it's a BBC thing, they pulled a majority of their podcasts and you can only get them on their BBC Sounds app. That's fine if you have Android Auto...

If not, it's TuneIn for now - which is a pain, as it never remembers how far through you were...

*** UPDATE ***
Actually, on further reading they should be on Spotify, it was Google they pulled them from...

My bad :p

Seems odd that their protection would prevent playback from a UK IP address??
AFAIK it's nothing to do with IP addresses and everything to do with DRM protection.

You can play BBC stations through the SONOS app, or stream them from Spotify and cast to a SONOS device. The BBC doesn't allow you to do likewise with podcasts. They also pulled all of their radio stations from TuneIn about a year ago.....I don't know if they are back now though.

AFAIK it's nothing to do with IP addresses and everything to do with DRM protection.

You can play BBC stations through the SONOS app, or stream them from Spotify and cast to a SONOS device. The BBC doesn't allow you to do likewise with podcasts. They also pulled all of their radio stations from TuneIn about a year ago.....I don't know if they are back now though.

Its a great plus for me. BBC shouldn't be hosting podcasts using licence payers money. They should get rid of their radio stations as well!

It is (at least it was as of a few weeks ago). It's not (just) ip addresses etc, i have the same issue on my garmin running watch (which only downloads podcasts using home wifi) - plays any spotify podcast other than the bbc hosted ones