Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best 19 tires replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last time I strayed from Tesla's OEM tires, instead going with Pilot Sport A/S a few years ago, they lasted less than 20,000 miles and caused vibration problems. Never again will I stray from Tesla's recommendations.

Yeah I chickened our when I realized the OEM Goodyears were $115 apiece at Discount Tire. Just no reason to go cheaper than that.

Not that the OEM Goodyears are fantastic - I prefer the MXM4 - but at half the price I’ll deal with it.

Yeah I chickened our when I realized the OEM Goodyears were $115 apiece at Discount Tire. Just no reason to go cheaper than that.

Not that the OEM Goodyears are fantastic - I prefer the MXM4 - but at half the price I’ll deal with it.

Good call. (not buying junk that is) The Goodyear's surprised me; they were not that bad. I wore them out in the fall and I am now on MXM4's now, and the Michelin's are better in all categories but I wouldn't say they are twice as good. But if you can put a number on them: if they are 40% better (some fact and some subjective), and last 30% longer, then twice the price doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

Reactions: bhzmark
So, based on the high praise of @appleguru and my online research, including quite good reviews on Tirerack, I opted for the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT's 19".

I will be getting them this Saturday (and trust me, it wasn't all that easy in Toronto - believe it or not). I store my tires at KalTire and for whatever reason they had never heard of the Avid Ascend GT. Then I got a quote from a competitor and they finally decided to "try" to get me the tires, only they said it would take between 4-6 weeks. The competitor needed 2 days.

In any event, they will be $980 tax in (installed and balanced), which is a good price up here. I will only be using them for 8 months of the year but look forward to see how they compare to the current Good Year OEM's.

I have no proof, but I am pretty sure it uses a typical electronic speedo with a moving magnet and sensor somewhere in the drivetrain, but I am not sure if it is calibrated in some way with GPS. I thought I read somewhere that it did, but I can't find the info. Maybe it was someone else just assuming like me as this thing is always connected to the sky.

But then it does have a selection input through the touchscreen for a 19 vs 21 tire as the staggered rear 265 is half an inch taller than the 19's, but what then does someone do who doesn't have the staggered wheels, as the 235/35/21 is almost exactly the same height as the 245/45/19? What difference does the option make if not for circumference?

Anyway here is how the speedo differences will be for a 55 profile 19 inch tire compared to a staggered 21 265 rear: Not a heck of a lot of difference. (4.5%)

View attachment 385038
Thanks for the info, but doesn't answer my question. would the larger circumference of the 245 55 19 which would cover more ground per mile, than the stock 245 45 19 be compensated by the computer to adjust to the actual speed?

*Update*

Just got the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT tires installed yesterday. Put about 150km on them yesterday. Replaced the OEM Goodyears. Here are my first impressions:

- much quieter than then Goodyear’s (this could also be because the Goodyear’s were almost bald)
- as good or better handling in turns than the Goodyear’s.
- ride seems more “bumpy” than Goodyear’s
- range is too hard to tell so far until temp warms up

Overall, they seem very good so far.

I'm about ready for new tires too. Switching from the OEM Goodyear foam filled tires after getting a whopping 24,000 miles. I'm considering the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 or the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S. What's the consensus on their wear, quietness, and handling rough roads?

*Update*

Just got the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT tires installed yesterday. Put about 150km on them yesterday. Replaced the OEM Goodyears. Here are my first impressions:

- much quieter than then Goodyear’s (this could also be because the Goodyear’s were almost bald)
- as good or better handling in turns than the Goodyear’s.
- ride seems more “bumpy” than Goodyear’s
- range is too hard to tell so far until temp warms up

Overall, they seem very good so far.

Appreciate the review. If it's not too much trouble, please let us know they do on range/consumption once you have that info.

I need to order a set in the next week and range is my only lingering question about the Ascend GTs. It's between those, the OE MXM4s, Conti PureContact, and the Pirelli Cinturato. I don't push my tires too hard, so consumption and treadlife are the qualities I care most about; if anybody has thoughts on which would do best on those axes, please let me know. I got 60k on my MXM4s. No complaints, and I'd be happy to buy them again, but if I can put even more miles on something else, even better.

Appreciate the review. If it's not too much trouble, please let us know they do on range/consumption once you have that info.

I need to order a set in the next week and range is my only lingering question about the Ascend GTs. It's between those, the OE MXM4s, Conti PureContact, and the Pirelli Cinturato. I don't push my tires too hard, so consumption and treadlife are the qualities I care most about; if anybody has thoughts on which would do best on those axes, please let me know. I got 60k on my MXM4s. No complaints, and I'd be happy to buy them again, but if I can put even more miles on something else, even better.

Can do... although right now it has been tough because the weather has still been unusually below average (temps) which always impacts range. My sense is that they are not quite as good as the Goodyear's but pretty close. I will know more when the weather warms up.

Can do... although right now it has been tough because the weather has still been unusually below average (temps) which always impacts range. My sense is that they are not quite as good as the Goodyear's but pretty close. I will know more when the weather warms up.

You're going to need to "break them in" for at least 1000 km first.

View attachment 368162 Got them installed... so far so good!

So a quick update. After putting about 2k miles on these tires so far, I have seen a decrease in range of approximately 5%. I am still working on normalizing the data for route, driving speed and temperature, which may help paint a more clear picture. But ignoring any such normalization, here is the data from teslafi showing the last 3 months this year on the avid ascend GTs vs the same period of time last year on the OE tires.

And a reminder to everyone... I have roof racks on my car year round, and a bit of a lead foot... so not exactly winning any efficiency awards to begin with here.

Avid Ascend GT:
01-11-2019_to_04_12_2019_avid_ascend.png

OE Goodyear:
01-11-2018_to_04_12_2018_oe_goodyear.png

Michelin Primacy MXM4 are my favorite tires. I use have been using them on all my cars for probably 5-6 years. Original GY Touring on my MS lasted less than 20k miles. Next set was a mistake -- Nokian zLine A/S. I normally like Nokian tires and this set did have redeeming qualities -- good traction, very sporty. But I could not wait to get rid of them -- they were just way too harsh riding. I put a set of Primacy MXM4 -- wow, what a huge difference! They are just wonderful. Quiet, comfortable, terrific traction. In my experience, they also retain their good qualities as they wear, which is pretty unusual.

Since they are typically priced at $200 each, I usually buy them from DiscountTireDirect when they have their $100 off $400 ebay sale. I place two separate orders and get the set for only $600 delivered no tax.

Reactions: TK16688
So a quick update. After putting about 2k miles on these tires so far, I have seen a decrease in range of approximately 5%. I am still working on normalizing the data for route, driving speed and temperature, which may help paint a more clear picture. But ignoring any such normalization, here is the data from teslafi showing the last 3 months this year on the avid ascend GTs vs the same period of time last year on the OE tires.

And a reminder to everyone... I have roof racks on my car year round, and a bit of a lead foot... so not exactly winning any efficiency awards to begin with here.

Here's something interesting to add. According to the spec sheet at Tirerack, the tires are not the same dimension:

Yokohama Avid Acent GT

Goodyear OE

The Goodyears have a 755 rev/mile compared to the Avid's 700. The tread width of the Goodyear is 8.2" compared to the Avid's 7.8" Even though tires may have the same rated size, there's quite a bit of variance in their dimensions. Secondly, I brand new tire should have a greater circumference compared to the worn out tire it is often replaced with. I've always been skeptical when folks rave about how superior their new tire model is compared to the old. Generally a worn out tire is pretty noisy, slips/squeals, and rides a lot rougher than a new tire and the benefits attributed to the new tire is often merely because it's new.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Michelin has a newer tire called the Premier which I found difficult to get a bead on which would be better the Primacy MXM4 or the Premier so I wrote Michelin. They replied the Primacy line is an older tire and they plan to phase it out for the Primacy in the next couple of years. I did go with Primacy MXM4s in part because Costco had a big rebate on them.

I've seen about the same efficiency with the MXM4s I saw with the OEM Goodyears and I don't notice any noise difference. I expect the Premier tires will be more common and cheaper by the next time I need tires.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Michelin Primacy MXM4 are my favorite tires. I use have been using them on all my cars for probably 5-6 years. Original GY Touring on my MS lasted less than 20k miles. Next set was a mistake -- Nokian zLine A/S. I normally like Nokian tires and this set did have redeeming qualities -- good traction, very sporty. But I could not wait to get rid of them -- they were just way too harsh riding. I put a set of Primacy MXM4 -- wow, what a huge difference! They are just wonderful. Quiet, comfortable, terrific traction. In my experience, they also retain their good qualities as they wear, which is pretty unusual.

Since they are typically priced at $200 each, I usually buy them from DiscountTireDirect when they have their $100 off $400 ebay sale. I place two separate orders and get the set for only $600 delivered no tax.

When do they typically have their sale?

Here's something interesting to add. According to the spec sheet at Tirerack, the tires are not the same dimension:

Yokohama Avid Acent GT

Goodyear OE

The Goodyears have a 755 rev/mile compared to the Avid's 700. The tread width of the Goodyear is 8.2" compared to the Avid's 7.8" Even though tires may have the same rated size, there's quite a bit of variance in their dimensions. Secondly, I brand new tire should have a greater circumference compared to the worn out tire it is often replaced with. I've always been skeptical when folks rave about how superior their new tire model is compared to the old. Generally a worn out tire is pretty noisy, slips/squeals, and rides a lot rougher than a new tire and the benefits attributed to the new tire is often merely because it's new.

I see the avid spec'd at 750 vs the GY's 755, which is pretty negligible... For reference, the OE MXM4 is 751.

The smaller tread width is likely due to the ascend gt's more aggressive shoulder taper, which in theory helps cornering performance and ride noise. Yokohoma lists the width as 8.0", but iirc Tire Rack has a different method for measuring tire tread widths.

Screenshot 2019-04-13 00.39.21.png

Avid Ascend GT:
View attachment 396288
OE Goodyear:
View attachment 396287

Curious about the temperature: is this the temperature taken from the car only during driving periods? Or average ambient temperature for your region?

Also how would you rate the Yokos as far as road noise and comfort vs. goodyears or MXM4's? (not sure what you last had on the car)