Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best and worst week ever

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_4621.JPG
DED56222-B9C9-4DC1-8088-88997FA04C44.jpeg
Longtime lurker here to the Model 3 forum.
Ordered online 3/31/16
Config 4/18/18
VIN on 5/25/18
31XXX
Delivery 6/5/18

Finally received my Model 3 on Tuesday. Delivery was quick and simple. I was in a group of 4 picking up their Model 3s. We signed documents and were given a 15-20 minute tutorial and then shown our cars. My car was perfect. I didn't find any imperfections. Paint was beautiful. Didn't notice any panel gaps. The driving experience was beyond expectation!!!!! The car is so responsive and quick. The regenerative braking took about an hour to get use to but now I can't imagine not having it. The cabin is quiet - much more than my Civic and on par with my Highlander. Sound system is very impressive. No issues whatsoever with the car...until today.

I was in a multi-car accident on the freeway today. I was the #2 car in a 5 car pileup. Traffic had stopped ahead and even caught me off guard. But the emergency braking system worked as expected (I didn't order auto pilot for my car). I was warned of the stopped vehicle in front of me and was able to brake to avoid collision. The car behind me also braked in time. But car #5 behind us was not so lucky and collided with car #4, which collided with car #3, which collided with me, and I hit the car in front of me. Car #5 and #4 were totaled. There was considerable damage to car #3. The car I hit had some minor bumper damage. Luckily no one was hurt, but I still want to cry.

I won't know what the damage will be until next week. I have family members who work for insurance companies and they tell me that a lot of electric vehicles end up being totaled due to the high cost of repairing the electronic system regardless of the body damage. If it ends up being totaled, I don't know if I can wait another year for a model 3 (I sold the Civic today...was actually on my way home after having the title transferred).

Anyway...I thought I would share my short experience with the Model 3. For those of you still waiting, don't lose hope. It's totally worth it.

So sorry to hear of this. Glad to hear no one was hurt. If the car is totaled perhaps you should share this story with Tesla and they may move you up on the list. Hopefully everything works out okay and you end up in a Model 3 (either this one repaired or a new one) soon.

View attachment 308034 View attachment 308037 Longtime lurker here to the Model 3 forum.
Ordered online 3/31/16
Config 4/18/18
VIN on 5/25/18
31XXX
Delivery 6/5/18

Finally received my Model 3 on Tuesday. Delivery was quick and simple. I was in a group of 4 picking up their Model 3s. We signed documents and were given a 15-20 minute tutorial and then shown our cars. My car was perfect. I didn't find any imperfections. Paint was beautiful. Didn't notice any panel gaps. The driving experience was beyond expectation!!!!! The car is so responsive and quick. The regenerative braking took about an hour to get use to but now I can't imagine not having it. The cabin is quiet - much more than my Civic and on par with my Highlander. Sound system is very impressive. No issues whatsoever with the car...until today.

I was in a multi-car accident on the freeway today. I was the #2 car in a 5 car pileup. Traffic had stopped ahead and even caught me off guard. But the emergency braking system worked as expected (I didn't order auto pilot for my car). I was warned of the stopped vehicle in front of me and was able to brake to avoid collision. The car behind me also braked in time. But car #5 behind us was not so lucky and collided with car #4, which collided with car #3, which collided with me, and I hit the car in front of me. Car #5 and #4 were totaled. There was considerable damage to car #3. The car I hit had some minor bumper damage. Luckily no one was hurt, but I still want to cry.

I won't know what the damage will be until next week. I have family members who work for insurance companies and they tell me that a lot of electric vehicles end up being totaled due to the high cost of repairing the electronic system regardless of the body damage. If it ends up being totaled, I don't know if I can wait another year for a model 3 (I sold the Civic today...was actually on my way home after having the title transferred).

Anyway...I thought I would share my short experience with the Model 3. For those of you still waiting, don't lose hope. It's totally worth it.
You say car 5 wasn’t ‘lucky’ but reality is that 3 cars were able to stop in time. Alert and following at a safe distance were all that were required to avoid all that damage. I see too many tailgaters. Anyone too close on my tail...I gradually slow till they get message.

"Alert and following at a safe distance were all that were required to avoid all that damage. I see too many tailgaters."

I just returned from a 4k trip and speed, tailgating and pick-ups are the treat to everyone.

I suppose the police have just given up trying to enforce speed laws. In every state, cars would pass us with reckless abandonment. Completely oblivious to poor visibility due to rain or fog.

Several times I had to tap the break pedal to get a following motorist to back off.

Pick-up truck drivers must think they are invincible. Waaaay to aggressive. Reckless passing, too fast, loud exhaust, just obnoxious driving habits. Modern day cowboys.

View attachment 308034 View attachment 308037 Longtime lurker here to the Model 3 forum.
Ordered online 3/31/16
Config 4/18/18
VIN on 5/25/18
31XXX
Delivery 6/5/18

Really sorry to hear this. It makes me cringe to see those photos.

Did you turn the claim in to your company or driver #5's insurance? I'm just curious, I always turn the claim in to mine because I don't like hassles but I see a lot of people try to deal with the company who represents the person at fault and wonders why they end up screwed. Assuming you don't live in a no fault state.

"Alert and following at a safe distance were all that were required to avoid all that damage. I see too many tailgaters."

I just returned from a 4k trip and speed, tailgating and pick-ups are the treat to everyone.

I suppose the police have just given up trying to enforce speed laws. In every state, cars would pass us with reckless abandonment. Completely oblivious to poor visibility due to rain or fog.

Several times I had to tap the break pedal to get a following motorist to back off.

Pick-up truck drivers must think they are invincible. Waaaay to aggressive. Reckless passing, too fast, loud exhaust, just obnoxious driving habits. Modern day cowboys.

Oh, you didn’t know? People in big white pick-up trucks have been given official immunity. Not only from speed limits, following-distance standards, and reckless driving prohibitions, but also from the laws of physics.

At least that seems to be the case here in California. If they decide that they want to drive 85 in a 65 zone, it’s their god-given right, and they will do everything short of ramming you to assert it.

Police, many of who drive pick-ups in private life, turn a blind eye. But, woe unto you if your HOV sticker is placed three inches too low. That is deemed worthy of a pull-over and a stern, judgmental lecture!

So sorry for what happened! For a vehicle of its value it certainly looks repairable, but let us know what happens. Best of luck!
(Side note: my experience with tailgaters in N. California these days is tap your brakes, and they proceed to begin physically intimidating you with their vehicle! Doesn't matter if someone is in front of you and you can't go any faster, anyway. It's almost the same type of reaction to honking at somebody now!)

I have family members who work for insurance companies and they tell me that a lot of electric vehicles end up being totaled due to the high cost of repairing the electronic system regardless of the body damage. If it ends up being totaled,
That's first I've heard that and I've been in two accidents and on this forum for two years. Gas cars have a lot of electronics also.

Had the air bags inflated ..... there would be a greater chance that the vehicle would be totaled. Since it does not appear they did inflate .... I'm sure it will be repaired. The front and rear damage is mostly limited to facades (that once were called bumpers). They literally snap on, and are easily replaced. Hopefully there is little damage behind the facades.

I well remember the day when bumpers could and did absorb a pretty hard hit without severe damage to the coachwork.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
You say car 5 wasn’t ‘lucky’ but reality is that 3 cars were able to stop in time. Alert and following at a safe distance were all that were required to avoid all that damage. I see too many tailgaters. Anyone too close on my tail...I gradually slow till they get message.

don't do it in the left lane, you can get a ticket for that now.

leave it up to the police to enforce traffic laws.

i find everyone is happier if you just pull aside and let them go.

occasionally, you'll see them pulled over, having an expensive rendezvous with the local constabulary. it's not up to you to regulate the behavior of others.

Reactions: Superendo