Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Bang for Buck Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not want the hassles associated with 20” tires. The stealth gives you all of the speed benefits of Performance without all of the other stuff which is nice on the track but not necessary at all for daily driving. Stealth is by far the best value out there. LR AWD with the $2K acceleration boost cost the same as the stealth for less performance. That just makes no sense.

What's the cost of stealth?

LR AWD with Acceleration Boost is $50,990
Performance is $56,990

What's the cost of stealth?

LR AWD with Acceleration Boost is $50,990
Performance is $56,990

P3D- is...$50,990.

It's a no brainer to do that over buying an AWD and the 2k unlock if you haven't bought yet- it's absolutely best bang/buck.

For those who already own an AWD (many of whom bought when the P3D- was an $11,000 upgrade at the time- or during the long periods the P3D- wasn't for sale at all) the math is obviously quite different.

So I was pretty set in ordering a Model 3 Performance but now with the latest acceleration upgrade, there isn't much performance difference

- Model 3 LR - $48,990 + $2,000 acceleration = $51,990 for 322 mile range and now 3.9 0-60
- Model 3 Performance - $56,990 for 310 mile range and 3.2 0-60

So what is going to be the best bang for the buck? Ordering the LR to save $5K and get an extra 12 mile range with the assumption that sooner or later, Tesla will probably unlock the full potential of the LR to match the Performance?

Or, do we see a Performance power upgrade coming soon as well?
How about insurance? I’d factor that in.

Reactions: house9
When forum members with AWD orders pending heard about the batch of stealth cars being made virtually every one upgraded to the Stealth. That may be the reason there are so many AWD models in inventory.

There is no reason to buy an AWD and pay $2K for the acceleration boost to get only part of the way to the performance of the Stealth which ends up costing the same price. You would only order AWD with boost if Stealth models are all sold out. Unfortunately you can’t order them and Tesla never announces when they are planning to make the next batch.

If you are going to measure purely on performance, get the Performance. It's rather binary.

If you are going to measure based on "bang for the buck", then who cares? You aren't interested in performance!

Now, to be serious ... get what you want. In all my car purchases, my regrets are exactly that scenario. I wanted stuff, but decided not to get it.

One more thing. There is a hardware difference between the "Stealth" Performance and the Performance. Right now, that hasn't made a performance difference. But Tesla just started selling a $2k acceleration upgrade for the AWD. So we will see...

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
If you think 3.9 sec vs 3.1 sec “isn’t much of a performance difference” then I’m not sure why you were looking at a performance trim in the first place. You should go with the cheapest and wait for the pay to play software update to decide if you want it or not.

3.1 sec is with rollout.
The AWD without performance upgrade and without rollout already does 0 to 60 in 3.9s.

One more thing. There is a hardware difference between the "Stealth" Performance and the Performance. Right now, that hasn't made a performance difference. But Tesla just started selling a $2k acceleration upgrade for the AWD. So we will see...

The only HW differences are the brakes, 0.39" lower suspension, and a rear spoiler (and larger and heavier, but not wider, wheels)

Not sure what future SW updates would care about any of that except maybe higher top speed where the spoiler could matter, and it's already like double any US legal speed so who cares?

I think there’s a lot of confusion as to how much performance is worth.

First, I agree the SR+ is the best value. No question. You sit inside the exact same cabin (speakers and nav features aside) and drive a Model 3 for less money.

The LR AWD is then the next best value. Yes, for $2k more you can maybe locate a 3P-, but most people don’t need that extra performance. In fact, they definitely don’t.

Then waaaay at the bottom of the value pile is the 3P+. I own it. It’s not even close to the best value Model 3 (though I get more than MY personal value for money out of it).

I tried for a LR RWD, Tesla said “nope”. So I asked for a stealth, Tesla said “nope”. So I ordered a performance model. I like it but will change wheels to something smaller and lighter when the OEM tires are shot. Love the red brakes, Yes I’m entertained easily.

No offense, but screw stealth :) In most of the avail colors, the Model 3 just looks so much more the business with the drop, the spoiler, the 20's, those larger rotors, and the red calipers, and of course it's always gravy to get aluminum pedals, and not to mention Track Mode. Sure, you can sub a lot of this with the aftermarket, but honestly....I wouldn't want to buy your modded car 2nd hand, sorry, and it'll cost as much if not more and be a hassle. :)

But I understand, for many folks, $5000 (plus tax plus interest, cuz I know most don't buy them cash) is not chump change.

The Stealth comes with track mode and the extra shiny light weight super high performance pedals aren't worth any meaningful premium.

So basically $5000 for a spoiler, 20" wheels/tires, a 1" drop, and better brakes you'll only notice a difference with on the track.

Add at least another $400 for cost of ownership since the 20 inch tires cost 100 more a pop than their 18 inch counterparts to replace....

They're both great cars, the Stealth is just better bang for your buck.

Reactions: holmgang
When forum members with AWD orders pending heard about the batch of stealth cars being made virtually every one upgraded to the Stealth. That may be the reason there are so many AWD models in inventory.

There is no reason to buy an AWD and pay $2K for the acceleration boost to get only part of the way to the performance of the Stealth which ends up costing the same price. You would only order AWD with boost if Stealth models are all sold out. Unfortunately you can’t order them and Tesla never announces when they are planning to make the next batch.

Problem with the stealths, you have to take what's available which means an up charge in colors or wheels, so it can cost more than 2K if you were set on white/18s AWD (e.g. red with 19s)

Problem with the stealths, you have to take what's available which means an up charge in colors or wheels, so it can cost more than 2K if you were set on white/18s AWD (e.g. red with 19s)

Yup. I imagine there’s no point in them building white stealths with Aeros when they know they will sell every car they make regardless of configuration. There’s more margin in the higher end trims. How much more could red paint cost them?

I love my rwd long range. Max range, still light but still quick. Plus insurance is lower lol.

This thread has been a good reminder of what a gap Tesla created in their lineup when they eliminated the LR RWD model. So many of us in warm weather climates wanted the bigger battery and upgraded interior but had no need for AWD. If I had to buy today I would not be thrilled with either SR+ or AWD as neither really match my needs. For the extra $2K I would just get a stealth for the entertainment value of it, assuming I could get one. But the LR RWD is really the perfect car for me.