Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Bike Rack for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I was wondering whether to upgrade from the Accessory to the Two Package so that I can mount 4 bikes and a rack weighing 200lbs. Do you think I should change my option? I'm being cheap as I definitely don't want to tow, so hoping Accessory Hitch would do the job.
There are a large number of people on this forum that thinks spending the few extra dollars on a full Tow Hitch is the best investment you can make. Not only does it give you full towing support and ability to carry maximum number of bikes, but it should help with resale value. At one point it was only $500 more than the accessory hitch (not sure now), so it was a no-brainer.

--Update--
Just checked the site and I don't even see the Accessory Hitch as an option anymore. So, if you want to get a factory-installed solution, the Tow Hitch is your only option (for a new purchase). If you are grandfathered-in for an Accessory Hitch, I would still recommend upgrading, especially if your order hasn't confirmed yet. Just 1 opinion/data-point.

Reactions: goneskiian
But if the Accessory Hitch is no longer available, wouldn't I get the same Bosal hitch that comes with the tow package? Clearly they removed the Accessory Hitch because they don't have a cheaper solution.
The Accessory Hitch has never been available. They announced it and showed a prototype in Sept 2015, but it never materialized. Tesla has just been "giving away" the full bosal tow hitch to people ordering the Accessory Hitch - the only difference is that the tow software is turned off.

Tesla finally removing the Accessory Hitch option implies that they have decided to scrap it.

The Accessory Hitch has never been available. They announced it and showed a prototype in Sept 2015, but it never materialized. Tesla has just been "giving away" the full bosal tow hitch to people ordering the Accessory Hitch - the only difference is that the tow software is turned off.

Tesla finally removing the Accessory Hitch option implies that they have decided to scrap it.

Thanks so much for everybody's help. It is so confusing.

So I ordered the Accessory Hitch before it was discontinued: does that mean I will just get the 2" Bosal tow hitch? (It won't be the 1.25" hitch, right?) If so, then I don't need to upgrade to the Tow Package (I only plan to carry bikes). It's amazing that even people at Tesla have no idea how to clarify this. I've asked.

So I ordered the Accessory Hitch before it was discontinued: does that mean I will just get the 2" Bosal tow hitch? (It won't be the 1.25" hitch, right?) If so, then I don't need to upgrade to the Tow Package (I only plan to carry bikes). It's amazing that even people at Tesla have no idea how to clarify this. I've asked.
Yup you should get the 2" Bosal tow hitch. I wouldn't expect things to change at this stage, especially since it appears that the Accessory Hitch is no longer an option.

No one knows for sure what will happen in the future. :rolleyes:;)

All evidence seems to suggest that you will get the 2" Bosal hitch. To guarantee you get the 2" hitch it would be a good idea to upgrade to the Tow Package.

Hi guys will be getting my mx soon and was wondering if this bike rack would fit. I have a road bike that weighs about 15 lbs and then the electric bike which is 45 lbs. Would this allow me to super charge or would block access to the charging port? Thanks!

Swagman XC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (1/1/4 and 2-Inch Receiver) Amazon.com : Swagman XC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (1/1/4 and 2-Inch Receiver) : Automotive Bike Racks : Sports & Outdoors

I don't have an X, but that is the bike rack I currently use. It's alright for a basic rack, but given the choice I'd buy something nicer. Once on the car it works well, but it's a hassle to mount and unmount (you need a wrench). Unlike most modern racks, it doesn't tilt or swing out of the way. Mine is also rusting a bit after a few Canadian winters.

I'd personally look at either 1up or Kuat.

• Informative
Reactions: DriverOne
I don't have an X, but that is the bike rack I currently use. It's alright for a basic rack, but given the choice I'd buy something nicer. Once on the car it works well, but it's a hassle to mount and unmount (you need a wrench). Unlike most modern racks, it doesn't tilt or swing out of the way. Mine is also rusting a bit after a few Canadian winters.

I'd personally look at either 1up or Kuat.
thanks for the help. the difference in price between the swagman and 1up is hundreds of dollars. Looking for the smart economical choice.

Just got this bike rack : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010SX2UNI/
Works very well for 4 bikes.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg

Last edited:
I was using my old bike rack from Sports Chalet that I last used on my 2004 MDX (since my 2014 didn't have a hitch). I bought a new bike last weekend and almost lost it on the freeway. I had the rear camera enabled on the 17-inch or else I wouldn't have seen this happen:

Reactions: vandacca