Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best mattresses for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're the same height and weight. In my opinion, the Dreamcase is kind of like Autopilot... nobody does it better. This is especially true if you drive a Model S.

So if you do find a better solution, please let me know what it is!

I can drop some serious money on a new MS but can’t justify another $800 on a bed lol! Also, I have the Tesla All-Weather Trunk Mat so I’m wondering if putting the Dreamcase “case” over the mat will create an unlevel space.?

I’m going to order:

Better Habitat [New] SleepReady Memory Foam Floor Mattress (75 x 36 x 3). [Roll Out, Portable Sleeping pad w/Waterproof Cotton Terry Cover & Travel Bag] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BJF9FW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_64u8CbTZB4DBC

I’ll report back once I’m all set up...

I put together a pretty good set up for my 2018 Model S 75D. I’ll outline what I used and upload some pictures;

Super comfortable, quick to setup and really cheap....

-High density campers foam from Fred Meyers to fill the lip behind the back seats-$20

-3” Twin Memory Foam Mattress Topper. 75x37” - $40

-2 Standard TV trays to fill the gap behind the front seats. (Cut the legs down)- $20 (I had these laying around)

-2 48” luggage straps from Amazon- $9

-Standard Twin Sheet set

6668AC45-9CC6-4767-B256-1F740FCB0684.jpeg 7DE1D64E-8AA0-4E2E-B6BB-7C8B7F93BA05.jpeg 870E6254-2860-421D-AA55-4F4D68C2CE05.jpeg 5598A0C1-482A-49C9-A3EF-949F8491E8DA.jpeg FFF5D5B7-8BCD-429D-A3D2-4E7B779B3371.jpeg 2484C9A5-7C06-4AB9-A818-EE517319AE75.jpeg F75E78E3-3915-4719-A09F-B7B027741649.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I put together a pretty good set up for my 2018 Model S 75D. I’ll outline what I used and upload some pictures;

-High density campers foam from Fred Meyers to fill the lip behind the back seats-$20

-2 Standard TV trays to fill the gap behind the front seats. (Cut the legs down)- $20 (I had these laying around)

-Standard Twin Sheet set
Love the TV trays! That open area has always been my problem. Thanks.

-Standard Twin Sheet set

Looks amazing! A few questions.

The high density campers foam. What size did you buy and did you cut it down? It looks like it’s also covered by a fitted cover. Have any more details on this?

Where did you buy the 3” Twin Memory Foam Mattress Topper?

Thanks @RHS324!

Looks amazing! A few questions.

The high density campers foam. What size did you buy and did you cut it down? It looks like it’s also covered by a fitted cover. Have any more details on this?

Where did you buy the 3” Twin Memory Foam Mattress Topper?

Thanks @RHS324!

The $20 bought me the high density foam that came in a size of 30x72. I ended up using a size of 36” wide X 41” long. So, that why I used a cover as there are two pieces in there; 36x30 and 36x11. The cover is just an old sheet that I had. I’ve ended up leaving the campers foam in the car even when I’m not using the bed. That size fits perfectly and it’s nice to have a level cargo area when the seats are folded down.

As for the twin topper. I bought some generic one on eBay on a flash sale for $40. They are all over amazon for $50-$60. The 37x75” fits perfectly. Let me know how your set up turns out!

Reactions: goRt
I used a 3 inch piece of styrofoam type insulation. It fits perfectly sand is easy to cut to the correct size. It’s also not rock hard, or cold.
Do you have a link or more details? We don't have a Fred Meyers in Northern Colorado and I checked local places that would have something similar and the closest I could find was a Home Depot that's not the closest one and their 3" roll of foam was nowhere near dense enough to not simply compact to nearly flat. It would be worthless for this application. I need some more details on something inexpensive I can buy for this purpose. Thanks.

Do you have a link or more details? We don't have a Fred Meyers in Northern Colorado and I checked local places that would have something similar and the closest I could find was a Home Depot that's not the closest one and their 3" roll of foam was nowhere near dense enough to not simply compact to nearly flat. It would be worthless for this application. I need some more details on something inexpensive I can buy for this purpose. Thanks.
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has any additional information for me on what 3" thick high-density materials they're using as I'm having no luck locally in Northern Colorado for something to use.

Reactions: Tezzie
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has any additional information for me on what 3" thick high-density materials they're using as I'm having no luck locally in Northern Colorado for something to use.

Sorry. I took the pics and then forgot to upload them. This is what I used to fill the trunk so it’s flat, plus a cheaper option. Worked great, easy to shape, extremely light.

Attachments

• 22254415-D949-4DCB-9D8A-90EC6692D794.jpeg
    22254415-D949-4DCB-9D8A-90EC6692D794.jpeg
    356.7 KB · Views: 729
  • AFD44F48-1F35-4FE9-8D0B-04C3DEF0C995.jpeg
    AFD44F48-1F35-4FE9-8D0B-04C3DEF0C995.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 701
  • 74D96697-6BFC-4949-B57C-B1570EBB83E8.jpeg
    74D96697-6BFC-4949-B57C-B1570EBB83E8.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 734
Sorry. I took the pics and then forgot to upload them. This is what I used to fill the trunk so it’s flat, plus a cheaper option. Worked great, easy to shape, extremely light.
No worries. So that second option for $22 per sheet looks like it's 1.5" thick and at 48" x 96" one could cut two 36" x 41" pieces from one sheet to stack up making it 3" tall to fit that area for $22. Does that sound about right to you?

No worries. So that second option for $22 per sheet looks like it's 1.5" thick and at 48" x 96" one could cut two 36" x 41" pieces from one sheet to stack up making it 3" tall to fit that area for $22. Does that sound about right to you?

That was my solution. Yes. I wrapped it in a sheet in case little flakes rubbed off. The height is perfect, and it’s hard enough to perfectly fill the gap, but still does have a bit of give if you sleep directly on it.

That's what I was worried about that aspect. Does it feel like it would dent or squish down over time?

Dent for sure if you kneel on it or otherwise concentrate weight in one area, then yes. But it’s much tougher than I expected, and I leave it in my car most of the time. No worries with luggage or groceries or stuff. If you sent it, it will not recover. But you’ll know it’s going to dent. You won’t be surprised. And the dents aren’t very deep.

Dent for sure if you kneel on it or otherwise concentrate weight in one area, then yes. But it’s much tougher than I expected, and I leave it in my car most of the time. No worries with luggage or groceries or stuff. If you sent it, it will not recover. But you’ll know it’s going to dent. You won’t be surprised. And the dents aren’t very deep.
Great feedback. I think I may just grab a sheet of this and find an inexpensive sheet to cover it with for future travels. I don't think I'll keep it in the car but it's good to know that it doesn't completely ruin the usability of that back area whenever we're on a trip.

Now that Camp Mode is officially out, has anyone else tested a good mattress setup for the Model X lately? Sorry, don't see a similar thread for the X (but my search skills suck)...

Dreamcase for Model X; see my photo for this bed deployed in my S. You won't regret it... I swear I should be gettin a commission from this company (I was one of the very first buyers, and have to have referred at least 10 people by now):

Dreamcase for Model X

Dreamcase for Model X; see my photo for this bed deployed in my S. You won't regret it... I swear I should be gettin a commission from this company (I was one of the very first buyers, and have to have referred at least 10 people by now):

Dreamcase for Model X
Thanks kingleonidas. I've seen that one, and been to the web site. If you're standing by that it's worth the $700+ I'll take a harder look at it. Appreciate the reply...

You don't need any additional cargo like the TV trays, look at this:

I'm about 6' tall & I can tell you that I have to lean my driver's seat back forward quite a bit to have enough length to lay in the back. There's no way I could leave my driver's seat where it is let alone move it back to hold that cargo cover in place.

About the only way I could see this possibly working is sliding the seat bottom all of the way back while leaning the seat back forward enough to hold it from the bottom but I'm not sure the seat bottom will slide that far back.

I'll experiment...

• Disagree
Reactions: Frontiersman
The length is exactly 6' -- and maybe an inch or two more. You are very welcome!
Now measure from the inside of the hatch (closed) plastic panel to the back of the upright seat but about 2' up since this is where your head will be on top of a thin mattress & pillow. Your seat leaning back will create an acute angle that decreases the further up you go. Also, you won't want your feet crammed up against the back of the car especially when it's cold out. You are very welcome!

• Disagree
Reactions: Frontiersman