Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best spot in garage for EVSE installation with two cars: 1 ICE 1 EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any suggestions on where to place the EVSE in a standard two-car garage with one EV and one ICE car?

I was originally going to place it right in the center back wall of the garage so it could reach either spot in the future but it seems that the charging cable, at least the one with the portable unit that comes with the car, is just a tad bit too short to reach the charge port on the car that way unless I pull up almost to the wall, and even then it will be kind of hanging in the air which doesn't seem like a good idea. The alternative would be to always back into the spot but it seems like that may be a pain after awhile. I was thinking another option would be to get a short 14-50 extension cable to basically position the portable unit further out into the garage and thus allow the charge cable to reach... the downside there is that if I ever wanted to wall mount a home unit I wouldn't be able to utilize the extension cable, but maybe you can get longer primary charging cables with the home unit? If the portable unit's cable was just like 5 feet longer it would be perfect.

My other option is to put it on the side wall near the front of the garage (near the main overhead door), but on one side it would then be blocking the ICE car (cord would be behind the car to reach the Tesla), and on the other side (where the Tesla parks) it would take a much longer run and conduit to go around the whole edge/two walls of the garage. The easy thinking here would be to just change which car parks in which spot but we have bikes and things hanging to the side of the ICE car and I don't want those so close to my precious Tesla in case of any mishaps :)

So... not sure if anybody can offer options other than what I've mentioned but just curious as to what everybody else has done.

Some people in your situation have mounted an EVSE (or installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet) on the ceiling of the garage, between the two cars. Some have even gotten fancy with auto-retraction setups on the cords. You'll obviously have to judge whether this is practical for your garage based on its unique geometry (how far into the garage the door extends when raised, the practicality of wiring in this way, etc.).

Another option might be to install the EVSE or NEMA 14-50 outlet optimally for the car you're getting, and plan on installing a second EVSE or outlet optimally for whatever second EV you eventually get. This will require either running them on the same circuit and using Tesla Wall Connectors or something else that can communicate to share the circuit safely; or install two circuits, which may require further upgrades to your house's wiring. It's an option that might be worth discussing with your electrician, though. One advantage of this approach is that it's more brand-neutral -- you'll be able to have a Tesla as one vehicle and some other brand as the other, without dealing with adapters. (With the caveat that sharing two EVSEs on one circuit is a trick that adds complexity, and probably cost, if you need to mix Tesla and J1772 EVSEs.)

I decided to put mine right next to where I park my car ; on the wall 2 feet away and 2 feet higher than the car's charging port. Happy with the decision.

Thought about other placements, future needs, etc... but when it came down to it being most convenient today and having the least amount of cable in the way was paramount.
Went with the shorter cable 8.5 foot wall connector as well.
The cable is now never in my way or anyone else's way and so easy to plug in and unplug daily this way.
Have a 2 car garage with another ICE in the other spot (the spot on the closer side to the house)
Have 2 doors but even positioned in the back between the 2 doors the cable would be in the way reaching across to the car on the far side charging area.
Figure if we ever get another Tesla I would just buy a 2nd wall connector, as they can share the same power source so that is an easy add-on.

If I ever move / get a non-tesla it is not hard for an electrician to remove it and install some other type of plug with the same wiring and where I had it run to is longer than the central locations would have been so have enough wire already run.

Between the garage doors worked for me!

Attachments

• 20190815_150102.jpg
    20190815_150102.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 181
I put my 240V outlets on the side walls of the garage approximately where a car's B-pillar is located.

The Model 3 is parked in the spot on the right hand side and the Mobile connector is long enough to go along the wall, behind the car, and plugged in with the cable draped under the rear bumper cover. Before the Model 3, we had an e-Golf which has the charge port on the passenger side, much closer to the outlet.

The car in the space on the left has a much shorter path to the charge port.

Any suggestions on where to place the EVSE in a standard two-car garage with one EV and one ICE car?

I was originally going to place it right in the center back wall of the garage so it could reach either spot in the future but it seems that the charging cable, at least the one with the portable unit that comes with the car, is just a tad bit too short to reach the charge port on the car that way unless I pull up almost to the wall, and even then it will be kind of hanging in the air which doesn't seem like a good idea. The alternative would be to always back into the spot but it seems like that may be a pain after awhile. I was thinking another option would be to get a short 14-50 extension cable to basically position the portable unit further out into the garage and thus allow the charge cable to reach... the downside there is that if I ever wanted to wall mount a home unit I wouldn't be able to utilize the extension cable, but maybe you can get longer primary charging cables with the home unit? If the portable unit's cable was just like 5 feet longer it would be perfect.

My other option is to put it on the side wall near the front of the garage (near the main overhead door), but on one side it would then be blocking the ICE car (cord would be behind the car to reach the Tesla), and on the other side (where the Tesla parks) it would take a much longer run and conduit to go around the whole edge/two walls of the garage. The easy thinking here would be to just change which car parks in which spot but we have bikes and things hanging to the side of the ICE car and I don't want those so close to my precious Tesla in case of any mishaps :)

So... not sure if anybody can offer options other than what I've mentioned but just curious as to what everybody else has done.
I went through that thought process when we had to install a new 100 amp sub panel for our ac system. We included planning for a solar panel system to be installed one year later, and for future electric car(s. I ended up routing 90 amp wiring right over the center of the two cars on the ceiling, down along the side wall where we planned parking the first electric car. The electrician said that when we got a second electric car we would be able to add a junction box / outlet to the ceiling between the two cars at about mid length. That way a plugged in charging adapter cord would reach the charging port on both the front or rear of the car. The only chore would be to install the appropriate rack or hook to hang the cord out of your face when not in use. The center/ side receptacle works great for the Tesla. By the way, the back up camera and marker line system including the display of the number of feet to obstacles while backing is so perfect for me and especially my wife, who has backed into two parked cars over the years, including one all the way across the street. We park the Tesla forward facing now, but if we had to back it in,I would draw two marker lines with masking tale on the floor as guides to match those on the backup camera. As a second safety, I also currently use a plastic hump slab (with two bumps) and the (tennis ball from the ceiling) ball against the windshield system. I can backup vehicles with trailers, but I hate doing backups simply because you can see less. The special Tesla camera is great.

I cut a 2X6 size hole in the ceiling at the center of the garage beside the opener so the door would not interfere then put the outlet on the 2X6 against the ceiling, put a bicycle drink holder below it for the EVSE box and a hook on the bottom for the cord. Here's a pic.
IMG_20190925_214633.jpg

I cut a 2X6 size hole in the ceiling at the center of the garage beside the opener so the door would not interfere then put the outlet on the 2X6 against the ceiling, put a bicycle drink holder below it for the EVSE box and a hook on the bottom for the cord. Here's a pic.
View attachment 459050
Nice. Being in the center of the garage it is likely to reach the fro t or rear of either car. Sweet.

I installed mine on the side wall near the garage door. In my garage the 24' wall connector will reach either parking spot.

So if I were you, I'd put it there and resolve to park on that side of the garage while using the mobile connector. If that becomes an issue, install the wall connector with the longer cord.

Last edited:
I installed mine on the side wall near the garage door. In my garage the 24' wall connector will reach either parking spot.

So if I were you, I'd put it there and resolve to park on that side of the garage while using the mobile connector. If that becomes an issue, install the wall connector with the longer cord.

I did the same thing, but I would add the following: Our garage is attached to the house and has a door into the kitchen. I park the Tesla on the far side (away from the door into the house) and the charger is installed on the far wall. This minimizes the safety risk of tripping over the cable. I do have the long cable on the wall charger so it will reach the car regardless of which side it is parked on. This took extra conduit because my electrical service is in the basement.