Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best to charge to 60%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the end, I don't think it will matter that much. Not in any real-world sense.

I charge mine to 85% once a week and that's it. By the time there's any real degradation, it will be sold to another owner.
I frequently see this sentiment around here. It seems a lot of people feel they don’t need to concern themselves with battery health because it will be the next guy’s problem after they sell their vehicle. My prediction is that it will soon become common for used car buyers to request a battery health test before purchasing. In this case, frequently abusing your battery (charging to 100% more often than necessary, letting it go to 0%, etc) may impact resale value. The latest release 2022.36 includes a Battery Health Test and you can bet I would insist on seeing that report before buying used.

Bottom line… be kind to your battery.

Last edited:
I frequently see this sentiment around here. It seems a lot of people feel they don’t need to concern themselves with battery health because it will be the next guy’s problem after they sell their vehicle. My prediction is that it will soon become common for used car buyers to request a battery health test before purchasing. In this case, frequently abusing your battery (charging to 100% more often than necessary, letting it go to 0%, etc) may impact resale value. The latest release 2022.36 includes a Battery Health Test and you can bet I would insist on seeing that report before buying used.

The battery health test requires the vehicle to be at a state of 50% SOC or less, discharged to 0%, then changed all the way to 100%. I would not run that test for you on my vehicle just so you could see it. Nor would I let some used car company poke around in the service menu on my car.

The battery health test requires the vehicle to be at a state of 50% SOC or less, discharged to 0%, then changed all the way to 100%. I would not run that test for you on my vehicle just so you could see it. Nor would I let some used car company poke around in the service menu on my car.
Sure, not everyone will be willing to share their battery health report when selling, but those who do (and have a clean bill of health) will have an easier time selling and fetch a higher price. As a buyer, I would insist on seeing it, and move on to the next seller if I was refused.

I charge to 90%, mainly because I never know when I'll need to zip off on a little jaunt of 100+ miles. I never noticed it did anything to my range. Probably less stress to just charge and enjoy, and not worry about how high or low you might be charging. It probably won't make a diddly bit of difference in your battery life.

Sure, not everyone will be willing to share their battery health report when selling, but those who do (and have a clean bill of health) will have an easier time selling and fetch a higher price. As a buyer, I would insist on seeing it, and move on to the next seller if I was refused.
Can't you roughly tell the state of the battery just from the "Max rated range" enough to get the general health of the battery and it only requires putting the vehicle in "miles" and slidding the bar for charging all the way to the max. I would love as well to have a fully encompasing report on everything about the vehicle as well, but I don't think many would be willing to do that. Just my opinion....

Can't you roughly tell the state of the battery just from the "Max rated range" enough to get the general health of the battery and it only requires putting the vehicle in "miles" and slidding the bar for charging all the way to the max. I would love as well to have a fully encompasing report on everything about the vehicle as well, but I don't think many would be willing to do that. Just my opinion....
I've just been browsing used MY listings and I see that max rated range number quoted in most of them. So it seems like it is readily being used in listings.

Would you buy a house without a home inspection? Some people do, but I wouldn’t.

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet but... aside from general battery health, SoC has a (slight) impact on performance. If you happen to be focused on such things, and want absolute fastest launch speed, higher SoC is generally going to shave a tiny bit off your 0-60 (or whatever) time.

I'm not in the "focused on such things" camp, but I've seen this discussed in a few threads here...

Would you buy a house without a home inspection? Some people do, but I wouldn’t.
A house is a different animal all together, and Yes in the case of a House I agree that I would not buy a home without an inspection. I would consider a home inspection a reasonable and prudent request used in most home buying experiences. I don't consider the process of discharging my batter to 0% and charging back up to 100% as reasonable for a car buying experience. Maybe I would equate this to I want to take your ICE car to a mechanic and have it inspected. Maybe if I was selling the vehicle for enough I would agree to take the vehicle at the buyers expense to Tesla to have them inspect it, which maybe they would run that test. I don't think I'd like it but maybe I'm seeing your point the more I talk about this.

I have been charging my battery to 50% -60% since I got my car and my battery capacity is actually increasing over time in TeslaFi report

Attachments

• B96E6551-3174-4E41-9110-BE457E91750D.jpeg
    B96E6551-3174-4E41-9110-BE457E91750D.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 205
I charge to 90%, mainly because I never know when I'll need to zip off on a little jaunt of 100+ miles. I never noticed it did anything to my range. Probably less stress to just charge and enjoy, and not worry about how high or low you might be charging. It probably won't make a diddly bit of difference in your battery life.
The effect of sustained storage at high SoC levels is pretty clear from the research that's been done: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This coming from the same person who keeps insisting that he doesn't need to charge his car quickly, calls faster charging "silly", and won't spend money on increasing the amperage of his charging setup is pretty funny, because this is exactly why you want faster AC charging (which is still "slow" from the battery's perspective). If you find out you have to zip off for 100+ miles, you'll be able to quickly add charge to your battery just before departing, as opposed to having to keep it at a high SoC all the time because you're afraid you might not be able to charge it quickly enough.

I could see making a "just charge to 90% all the time" exception for leased vehicles because the degradation is someone else's problem and won't ever affect the resale value because the residual value was agreed upon at the time the lease was started, but if I remember correctly, you have a Model S from around 2012 or so, and any degradation is very much your problem.

You will not defy physics by charging to only 50-60%. It might slow down the degradation tiny bit which will be also negligible.
On the contrary to your perception, maintaining low SOC is good for battery health is exactly defined by physics, whether you like it or not. The number is real, and whether the number is negligible is just another personal preference.

Charging it to 85% and then letting it fall to 30% to charge again isn't some kind of battery neglect. I'm saying whatever you are doing, it's probably fine unless you go and do something extreme.

A house is a different animal all together, and Yes in the case of a House I agree that I would not buy a home without an inspection. I would consider a home inspection a reasonable and prudent request used in most home buying experiences. I don't consider the process of discharging my batter to 0% and charging back up to 100% as reasonable for a car buying experience. Maybe I would equate this to I want to take your ICE car to a mechanic and have it inspected. Maybe if I was selling the vehicle for enough I would agree to take the vehicle at the buyers expense to Tesla to have them inspect it, which maybe they would run that test. I don't think I'd like it but maybe I'm seeing your point the more I talk about this.
Seems like your be at a disadvantage as a seller, as a prudent buyer would insist on seeing the battery health. It time there might be a a "Carfax" type check on battery health. 🤷

Seems like your be at a disadvantage as a seller, as a prudent buyer would insist on seeing the battery health. It time there might be a a "Carfax" type check on battery health. 🤷
I think I see this the same as a Engine or transmission. Can you provide me with a report that shows the healthy state of your ICE engine or transmission? Now If I were to agree to have the vehicle inspected at the buyers expense with Tesla. That might be different. The same as I would do if someone wanted to have my ICE vehicle inspected by a mechanic at the buyers expense.