Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to dust between washes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering what some of you out there are using to dust your cars between washes. I tend to wash my Model S once a week, but I do get the car dusty between those weekly washes especially in the summer when it is dry and dusty here in California. Would be interest in some input on this subject.

Just wondering what some of you out there are using to dust your cars between washes. I tend to wash my Model S once a week, but I do get the car dusty between those weekly washes especially in the summer when it is dry and dusty here in California. Would be interest in some input on this subject.

California duster.... been using them for years

The Original California Duster a gentle and effective cleaning tool for paint surfaces, this legend in car detailing has history behind it.

I just got this yesterday:

51pAvTZFiIL._SX180_.jpg
Ultimate Car Duster 2 Piece Car Cleaning Kit - Interior Duster & Exterior Duster - Lint Free

From Amazon. I haven't tried it yet because the car is too dirty to use it. I have used CA dusters for years, but I thought I would try it. It is microfibre and unbelievably plush. The reviews were excellent. I'll report out when I have time to do a wash and then a dust. Even though I have been happy with the CA duster, it has worn out and started to streak. So I thought I would spend $30 and try something new.

I'll let ya know.

I tried California Duster at the recommendation of some other forum comments. I find it to be counter productive. It leaves waxy streaks all over my black car every time I use it. My best results are with a microfiber towel and a little Mother's detailing spray. I also had XPEL ultimate put on so that I can wipe it pretty much every day without worrying about swirls. Black cars....love and hate them

I tried California Duster at the recommendation of some other forum comments. I find it to be counter productive. It leaves waxy streaks all over my black car every time I use it. My best results are with a microfiber towel and a little Mother's detailing spray. I also had XPEL ultimate put on so that I can wipe it pretty much every day without worrying about swirls. Black cars....love and hate them

I totally agree. CALIFORNIA duster leaves waxy streaks. I have a coating and front half film. I wash each week with ONR and in between, almost daily if car is not too dirty or dusty, I use a good large microfiber towel and lightly dust off and apply occasionally a detail spray to various areas. Car always looks great and no swirls or scratches.

I just got this yesterday:

51pAvTZFiIL._SX180_.jpg
Ultimate Car Duster 2 Piece Car Cleaning Kit - Interior Duster & Exterior Duster - Lint Free

From Amazon. I haven't tried it yet because the car is too dirty to use it. I have used CA dusters for years, but I thought I would try it. It is microfibre and unbelievably plush. The reviews were excellent. I'll report out when I have time to do a wash and then a dust. Even though I have been happy with the CA duster, it has worn out and started to streak. So I thought I would spend $30 and try something new.

I'll let ya know.
Let me know how it works, gets great reviews and sounds like it will work better the the CA duster.

I'll let ya know.
Curious how that goes. I thought microfiber was essentially the exact opposite of what you want in this case. Microfiber traps and holds onto dirt, and it's extremely difficult to remove (which is why you're supposed to destroy a microfiber towel that's touched the ground and never dry your car with it again).

I have a small microfiber duster (looks like the little one there) that I get from IKEA that I use on the interior (dash, doors, etc.), but it gets saturated with dirt after awhile and I replace it.

You guys need to read the instruction on California duster. If it's leaving streaks then you need to wrap it in newspaper and let it sit. After it's collected some dusts it will "dry up" and work as intended.

Completely agree! I used to get streaks every now and then. Saw this little tip and does help.

My car has Quartz applied and if a quick dusting doesn't suffice, I'll go around with some Reload. That really makes it look great.

I don't know how you guys do it. General wisdom regarding car detailing indicates that even dragging a microfiber cloth over the paint after washing should be avoided - many people use a blotting technique, or avoid using towels altogether by blowing water off the car, to avoid scratching. And again, this is on freshly-washed paint. Dusting a car seems like a sure way to end up with scratches. I would avoid.