Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware paying with personal check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 75D was delivered on Friday, and we paid the remaining balance with a personal check.

I went to routinely check my bank account online today, and noticed that Tesla had inexplicably deposited the same check *twice* (and Wells Fargo also inexplicably allowed this to happen), causing my account to be severely overdrawn.

Trying to get it all fixed now, but it certainly quite severely mars what was otherwise a very pleasant delivery experience.

Please be careful with your final payments and check your bank account repeatedly afterwards!

My 75D was delivered on Friday, and we paid the remaining balance with a personal check.

I went to routinely check my bank account online today, and noticed that Tesla had inexplicably deposited the same check *twice* (and Wells Fargo also inexplicably allowed this to happen), causing my account to be severely overdrawn.

Trying to get it all fixed now, but it certainly quite severely mars what was otherwise a very pleasant delivery experience.

Please be careful with your final payments and check your bank account repeatedly afterwards!

To clarify: It was deposited once on Friday presumably just as we took delivery, and then inexplicably, Tesla deposited it again on Monday.

I had a credit card company do this to me once many years ago when I was much younger and didn't carry a significant balance in my checking account. Actually, what I found out was that they deposited the check and then deposited a photocopy of the same check, and the bank let this happen. Bounced checks left and right on my other utility bills, etc. It was a nightmare. Needless to say, I had the bank credit me all overdrafts fees. And I ceased business with that bank. Fault was really on both ends though.

The last car I bought (before Tesla) I paid by certified check through my credit union. I got the check on a Saturday through the bank and noticed that they spelled the dealership name wrong. I had them correct the mistake after it took at least half an hour since a manager wasn't in on a Saturday. Fast forward 10 years later as I'm looking at my registration papers I notice it says my bank is the lienholder. I call my bank and tell them WTF as it was paid with my funds and not the banks in any way. 15 minutes of verification I am who I say I am and they check their records, they tell me it was a mistake by the dealership. I'd have to come in to the bank to get the name taken off by showing proof such as pink slip. I have yet to go in and resolve that issue.

I had a credit card company do this to me once many years ago when I was much younger and didn't carry a significant balance in my checking account. Actually, what I found out was that they deposited the check and then deposited a photocopy of the same check, and the bank let this happen. Bounced checks left and right on my other utility bills, etc. It was a nightmare. Needless to say, I had the bank credit me all overdrafts fees. And I ceased business with that bank. Fault was really on both ends though.

For sure Wells Fargo should be able to easily detect this and prevent it - especially because the balance of the check was so large it should have been automatically scrutinized. Still waiting to hear what the bank's "investigations department" turns up. In the meantime many tens of thousands of my dollars are in limbo.

Still waiting to hear what the bank's "investigations department" turns up.
And during the course of their investigation, they noticed that you're not taking full advantage of all the products and services WFB has to offer, so wouldn't you like to schedule an appointment to come into the branch and meet with an account executive? ;)

Last edited:
Unless the amount is very large, no human eyes inspect the millions of checks processed every day, it's simply not possible or cost effective. It stinks when it happens, but it's actually covered in the T&C you agreed to by opening your account. I know years ago anything less than $25 k ran through with no eyes on it. That amount could very well be higher these days... And I suppose could vary by bank.

It could also be an error made by your bank...
The original mistake was either Tesla's or their bank. The payor's bank made the second mistake not returning the second incident as a duplicate.
A similar thing happened on one of my rental income deposits. Because of an ATM error one if my tenant's check was presented twice. The second instance the tenant's check was rejected as a duplicate.

The original mistake was paying by personal check. It is so much easier to pay by EFT. I paid for the full balance of our Tesla from my iPhone via EFT and it was a piece of cake. I was a little worried that an EFT would delay our delivery but my DS told me it would be no problem. I called my bank beforehand to let them know I'd be processing a large EFT and they said it would be no problem.

End result, no problems.

Many years ago I inherited $25,000. I deposited the check at the bank where I had a $2000 balance. I asked the teller if there would be any problems with the money and she said there would be a hold on the deposit for a week. I said ok. On Friday evening my wife tries to get money from the ATM, very modern technology at the time, she is refused and the machine shows a $23,000 negative balance. Multiple bounced checks occurred. The bank denied this could happen even when my wife showed the paper receipt with the -$23,000. The refused to pay the bounce fees until I threatened lawsuits.

By the way we had only $12 to live on for 3 days in an era without credit card ownership.

The good news is that WF loves you enough to allow a "severe" overdraft to occur.
The bad news is they don't love you enough to call and ask if something is wrong.

Seeing I get anti-fraud courtesy calls when out of ordinary activity occurs, I suggest you keep the car, and ditch the bank.

Reactions: Just a Reader

I dumped Wells Fargo after they did several stupid things like this. Even had a personal banker who worked almost full time fixing what they screwed up.

The original mistake was paying by personal check. It is so much easier to pay by EFT. I paid for the full balance of our Tesla from my iPhone via EFT and it was a piece of cake. I was a little worried that an EFT would delay our delivery but my DS told me it would be no problem. I called my bank beforehand to let them know I'd be processing a large EFT and they said it would be no problem.

End result, no problems.
Then again, something like this can happen

Incorrect payment accusations

The good news is that WF loves you enough to allow a "severe" overdraft to occur.
The bad news is they don't love you enough to call and ask if something is wrong.

Seeing I get anti-fraud courtesy calls when out of ordinary activity occurs, I suggest you keep the car, and ditch the bank.
The real problem is that you can't expect 1950's service In today's world. It's not that they shouldn't, it's that banks today are too big and can't. Regulations (especially since 2008), have made it worse as a huge amount of their resources are tied up in new activities required by the OCC, and the newly created CFPB. So the anti-fraud calls you receive are part of that, driven mostly by Reg E, whereas there are no regulations around duplicate check posting. But when you call to express dissatisfaction, regulators now require that every single instance is documented and reviewed after the fact. Imagine the resources THAT takes! Even if you just call and say you don't like how your local bank's parking lot is laid out. Documented and reviewed. I worry about the big banks in the future...

• Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
The real problem is that you can't expect 1950's service In today's world. It's not that they shouldn't, it's that banks today are too big and can't. Regulations (especially since 2008), have made it worse as a huge amount of their resources are tied up in new activities required by the OCC, and the newly created CFPB. So the anti-fraud calls you receive are part of that, driven mostly by Reg E, whereas there are no regulations around duplicate check posting. But when you call to express dissatisfaction, regulators now require that every single instance is documented and reviewed after the fact. Imagine the resources THAT takes! Even if you just call and say you don't like how your local bank's parking lot is laid out. Documented and reviewed. I worry about the big banks in the future...

Bingo! I've asked them to stop calling and they say, 'we can't'. I know the technology is helpful and deters a lot of problems but like so many of their activities now, everything is taken to an extreme due to regulations. The banks have taken a beating and I'm not convinced it's all warranted nor is it all in our best interest as policies want us to believe. I'll throw in that it's not over yet either. Your worry is shared by many. Thanks for the insight!

Reactions: Btrflyl8e

Ditching the bank is a distinct possibility.