Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big price drop - LR down $10k, Plaid down $21k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a CPO / Inventory website for Tesla owned vehicles? I have free supercharging on My Models S, anyway to get that on a new vehicle?

Also how can I check the options on a Carmax vehicle? Looking for FSD, no idea how I validate.
Some people use this, but there's not much listed. https://ev-cpo.com/

With the tax credits, have you considered grabbing an M3P? Pretty close to the same performance as an MSLR, but less than 50% the cost, albeit at the expense of cheaper materials.

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4

For all 2022 buyers, this is a petition for Tesla to add FREE FSD OR FREE SC. We have paid andf waited the most and it is only fair to get a perk back from Tesla.
Not fair in any way, Tesla owes you nothing.

Not fair in any way, Tesla owes you nothing.

Back in 2018 when Tesla made the "Performance Upgrade Package" standard on the M3 (it had been a $5k option), they offered a $5k refund to early buyers who had paid for the package. Tesla didn't "owe" those customers anything back then yet still made the offer. If Tesla was willing to do something to appease upset customers over price changes before, it would not be unreasonable for today's customers to try to get Tesla to do something similar in this situation.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ostrichsak
Back in 2018 when Tesla made the "Performance Upgrade Package" standard on the M3 (it had been a $5k option), they offered a $5k refund to early buyers who had paid for the package. Tesla didn't "owe" those customers anything back then yet still made the offer. If Tesla was willing to do something to appease upset customers over price changes before, it would not be unreasonable for today's customers to try to get Tesla to do something similar in this situation.
I’ll support the petition on the condition if Tesla raises prices again anyone who purchased at a lower price write them a check for the difference.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I’m pretty sure what they actually did was give people the choice between keeping the free supercharging their cars came with or take a refund for the $5k performance package and lose the supercharging.

Not exactly the same thing as a retroactive handout.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I’m pretty sure what they actually did was give people the choice between keeping the free supercharging their cars came with or take a refund for the $5k performance package and lose the supercharging.

Yes, the offer was a $5k refund or (keeping) free unlimited supercharging. Outright FSD may be unreasonable but there's another petition out there seeking 1 year FSD subscription which would be more reasonable and less than the $5k (less free supercharging) Tesla offered to customers in 2018.

My point was simply that Tesla has appeased customers upset over price changes before so doing it now would not be a first for them.

Reactions: ucmndd

Yes, that was what is was. I took the 5K. Offer only was available for a short time. Although the offer was for the bae model M3P owners (stealth cars). Tesla eliminated the Stealth option and made the PUP option 5K cheaper, making it the same price as the Stealths. Stealth owners complained and Tesla came up with the 5K offer. Lasted about 3 months before it was withdrawn. 5K worth of Supercharging at that time was worth around 150K miles. My car has 43K currently, so was a good deal for me.

Reactions: dbldwn02
I think it’s after March 2017 that’s not transferable. Received mine in Feb 2017 and is transferable. Ordered late 2016.
No, it was January 2017. Specifically it had to be ordered prior to 1/14/2017 and delivered prior to 6/1/2017 to have transferable FUSC. Everything with free supercharging after those dates was for the existing owner only and wasn't transferrable.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and SO16
Sort of lost in the noise is the fact that Tesla had to pay a lot more for steel, aluminum, various parts from suppliers, and shipping over the last year. That was reflected in the price increases. Those that bought the car at those higher prices were paying for the fact it cost Tesla more to make the car and they could get the car sooner than waiting for prices to come down. Now that prices for items are coming down, Tesla is lowering the cost. I'm sure there were some adjustments also made to take advantage of the US rebates. Rather than make a number of small price reductions, Tesla elected to do it mostly at once. Tesla did give discounts in December to many buyers, so it did phase in.

Other automakers hide pricing, so you never know when prices go up or down, with all sorts of scammy dealer kickbacks and rebates.

Reactions: GSP and maximizese
Sort of lost in the noise is the fact that Tesla had to pay a lot more for steel, aluminum, various parts from suppliers, and shipping over the last year. That was reflected in the price increases. Those that bought the car at those higher prices were paying for the fact it cost Tesla more to make the car and they could get the car sooner than waiting for prices to come down. Now that prices for items are coming down, Tesla is lowering the cost. I'm sure there were some adjustments also made to take advantage of the US rebates. Rather than make a number of small price reductions, Tesla elected to do it mostly at once. Tesla did give discounts in December to many buyers, so it did phase in.

Other automakers hide pricing, so you never know when prices go up or down, with all sorts of scammy dealer kickbacks and rebates.
I agree with everything you said except the last part. I wouldn't call the EOY discount a "phase in". 4 days of discounts and the FOMO they caused basically saying, "why wait for the tax rebate next year..."we're giving it to you now"...only to turn around and discount further plus being eligible for tax rebates (MY M3 only)

Last edited:
Sort of lost in the noise is the fact that Tesla had to pay a lot more for steel, aluminum, various parts from suppliers, and shipping over the last year. That was reflected in the price increases.

I think the price increases (and not just with Tesla) were mostly due to the supply chain issues which created serious inventory shortages than actual increased costs. This lack of inventory situation not only pushed new car prices up but used car prices as well.

Tesla did not have to increase prices as much as they did to cover costs and now that inventories are starting to return more to normal, prices are coming down. Add to that the EV federal tax credit factor.