Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biggest concern ahead of the big reveal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty positive here. I'll bet it will look good (hatch like the S is ok with me) and will be fast.

Oops - I just remembered something. I'm 6'3" and I drove the S with the seat pretty far back. The position of the B pillar made it hard to get in and out. With a smaller car, it could be a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
^^^ This - Concerned it looks like a Bolt, Leaf or Prius.

Second biggest concern is that the 0-60 time is in the 7's. Won't buy a car > 5.5s 0-60.

I think there's zero chance of that happening. Motors aren't terribly expensive components--nowhere near comparing low horsepower engines to high horsepower engines. They'd shoot themselves in the foot not to keep a decent base speed and ramp it up from there.

I'm guessing you can get nearly the same speed or greater than a Model S with enough options check-marked.

I think there's zero chance of that happening. Motors aren't terribly expensive components--nowhere near comparing low horsepower engines to high horsepower engines. They'd shoot themselves in the foot not to keep a decent base speed and ramp it up from there.

I'm guessing you can get nearly the same speed or greater than a Model S with enough options check-marked.

That's the hope! Give me a < 5s 0-60 with instant torque, good looks, and I'll be super happy :)

Reactions: MrBoylan
I think most people that want to line up early will end up exactly where you're describing in the production line. Considering the multiple categories that will receive priority over the average Model 3 buyer, I think most of us will end up several tens of thousands of people down the list. I, for one, plan to camp out tomorrow night after work.

I live on the West Coast, I do not own a Tesla, I don't work for Tesla or SpaceX, and I don't plan on checking every box on the order sheet. I fully expect that several tens of thousands of people will receive their Model 3s before me, but if I wait any longer, I could be several tens of thousands of peolist, and many months, further down the list. I think that's what most people have in mind.
+1. Even though I expect to get mine pretty heavily optioned and will be in the door early tomorrow I'm sure that there will still be at least 20K to 50K units delivered ahead of me for the reasons ELRev described. And even if mine has a few bugs I can deal. 20 years of driving pre-owned Audi has made me somewhat forgiving. As long as the performance is there!

As for deal breakers tomorrow night? I'm really optimistic that it's going to right in every way, I think the only thing that would make me back out would be the lack of a serious big battery option. I'm really hoping for something that can hit 500 km/320 mi max range so we can road trip with impunity in the summer and really not worry about range degradation in winter.

Reactions: pmich80
+1. Even though I expect to get mine pretty heavily optioned and will be in the door early tomorrow I'm sure that there will still be at least 20K to 50K units delivered ahead of me for the reasons ELRev described. And even if mine has a few bugs I can deal. 20 years of driving pre-owned Audi has made me somewhat forgiving. As long as the performance is there!

As for deal breakers tomorrow night? I'm really optimistic that it's going to right in every way, I think the only thing that would make me back out would be the lack of a serious big battery option. I'm really hoping for something that can hit 500 km/320 mi max range so we can road trip with impunity in the summer and really not worry about range degradation in winter.

I really hope it can hit 500km. That would be incredible if it did.

Should the M3 be granted SC access, Tesla's ability to keep up with demand for SC services nationwide. Demand in California alone with just MS and MX does tend to increase the growth rate of grey hair sometimes.

This is what scares me. I hear the stories about lineups in California and I'm quite concerned that those sorts of issues will give EVs a bad rep. Telsa will have to find a way to expand changing facilities dramatically and quickly if they are to avert disaster.

I would suggest that the whole SC network might have to be spun off into a business of its own, allowing Tesla owners (and probably owners of other vehicles) to buy access in different ways: life of vehicle, annual subscription or pay per use.

For me as a potential Model 3 buyer, here is what I would really like in Model 3.

* It has to look good (I think Model S looks great)
* AWD
* Liftback
* Reliability and servicing costs - critical. Coming from a Toyota Hybrid, I really don't want to spend a lot for general upkeep or end up going to service centers often
* Decent space, 5 seats
* A good warranty
* At least 200 miles of range

I've posted this in other threads last year. Although I'm not really in the market to buy a Model 3, I'm hoping for a Shooting Brake design (Shooting-brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

These were posted in this thread: Model S station wagon design, anyone?

My personal favorite:
84b4409ba70e87c8d582220a5fd3b649-jpg.161809

A Model S mockup (perhaps the M3 would be a smaller version of this):
model-s-wagon-jpg.104681

I suspect that you're going to see one really long range version - maybe not quite like the new roadster, but close. I bet you're going to get one version that has a >80 kwh battery and rated range of >550 km.

as someone who won't have access to a home charger this would impress me a lot. I have a chademo charger 5 minutes nearby I plan on making use of. I don't drive a lot so I'd probably only need it once a month

This is what scares me. I hear the stories about lineups in California and I'm quite concerned that those sorts of issues will give EVs a bad rep. Telsa will have to find a way to expand changing facilities dramatically and quickly if they are to avert disaster.

I would suggest that the whole SC network might have to be spun off into a business of its own, allowing Tesla owners (and probably owners of other vehicles) to buy access in different ways: life of vehicle, annual subscription or pay per use.

When the M3 comes out, instead of rolling the SC network out as a separate business, Tesla should engage in a long-term joint venture with the likes of Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, or Target to create SC stalls at most or all of their locations nationwide. Right now, TM has to negotiate a different deal/contract with each new location, whether it's a store, strip-mall, restaurant, mall, etc and then has to get zoning approval as well. Installing four SC stalls at *every* Walmart, that's about 5,000 more locations for M3 owners to charge. There are I think 9,000 CVS stores. I think just two SC stalls at every CVS would be pretty awesome.

I don't think they'll do a traditional hatchback, but that's about the only thing that could scare me off tomorrow night. Further down the road, too much production delays; my car may last another 10 years, but I hate it. It's going to be tough to wait two years, much longer and I may crack.

I've posted this in other threads last year. Although I'm not really in the market to buy a Model 3, I'm hoping for a Shooting Brake design (Shooting-brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

These were posted in this thread: Model S station wagon design, anyone?

My personal favorite:
84b4409ba70e87c8d582220a5fd3b649-jpg.161809

A Model S mockup (perhaps the M3 would be a smaller version of this):
model-s-wagon-jpg.104681
I love the M Coupe shape! But I think that might be less than ideal in hitting their stated goal of a 0.20 Cd. The wagon would be easier, and I'd be happy with that too. But I'm dying to know how they're going to hit that ultra low drag number while respecting Elon's "no weirdmobile" edict.

Reactions: HankLloydRight