Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I've been a Tesla owner for three weeks now, owning a Model 3 Performance since 8th September. For the first time since buying it, today I got into the car to be greeted by a black screen. Eventually I got it going, but is this a common occurrence? The car has been on version 2020.36.11 for three days. The car seemed "alive" in other respects - locks worked, interior lights were on. I did notice that the app didn't seem to be waking the car though.

• Informative
Reactions: Dougall1248
There are occasional software crashes, but the car will reboot the screen .. just wait it out (sometimes takes long enough you get worried). Critical systems for driving are not affected, but obviously should this happen while driving you should pull over (safely).

If this happens a LOT (several times a day), you may have a hardware problem .. contact Tesla service to get it checked.

and reappears after 30-40 seconds

I find that I'm now counting to 5x on reboots now - maybe its an FSD thing but last few reboots after releases have been 'uncomfortably long'.

I know that a firmware update does a reboot, but for the sake of a minute, I always do my own reboot after an update. The only time I ever had a problem (flickering screen) after a release, I hadn't done that reboot. I also try and do a 'test drive' too before handing over to swmbo.

Has been pretty consistent for me when rebooting after both updates so far, but then I’m still a newbie owner with less than a month of experiencing any “quirks”.

in your experience is the black screen thing just something that happens randomly / infrequently ?

This is one of the reasons I'm reluctant to set up Pin to drive.

I usually walk out at the exact time I need to leave for school runs. If my screen was unresponsive and couldn't drive I'd be late as even calling an uber or taxi at that time usually means some waiting because it's so busy.

Waiting a minute or a quick reboot seems to be a reliable fix. Its not a common problem. I think I had it once in a year and it sorted itself out on its own.

Starting a drive with a non working speedo is an offence, so irrespective of Pin to drive, it needs to be sorted before you can legally drive the vehicle.

Reactions: ElRey