Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Vue DR650S-2ch $249 Today Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just got ours installed today. OCDetailing (now in Fremont) did it and they fished the wiring at the rear through the existing conduit (not sure if that's the correct word or not but no wires exposed except at camera connection. No idea how they do it but I'll take a few photos tomorrow of the final mount. Nice clean job and we're very happy with the results.

If anyone missed out on the sale, a reasonable alternative:

Amazon.com: Blackvue Cloud DR650GW-2CH 64GB Dashcam, Front&Rear, Cloud Service: Cell Phones & Accessories

It's the DR650GW-2CH but it's upgraded to cloud. As far as I can tell there's no difference between this an the 650S.

Amazon just lowered the price today to $278 for the 64GB version. The 32GB is still listed at $359.

Drat. Even though it's sold by and ships from Amazon, it says 1 to 2 months shipping which means they're ordering them from China as they get orders.

I stuck my GW up on ebay in the original box but with the new cables, accessories, and camera mounts from the S since they were unchanged.

Got mine and got it installed. Working great so far. I am having issues connecting the the camera wifi. I type the password and it keeps saying "Unable to join" almost like I am typing the wrong password. I did change it from the default. This happened the other day and then it suddenly connected. Anyone else have these issues? Maybe I should reset the password. Is there a way to do hard reset back to factory?

CAUTION: Word to the wise whether you have your dashcam installed for you or do on your own, make sure the clear plastic film around the cameras is removed. Sounds like an obvious thing to do but apparently easily overlooked.

In another thread a new Blackvue user (Indpowr/paid install) had his camera stop working after two weeks and when investigating the problem discovered the film was still on his unit. Believes the camera may have overheated as the film covers the vents, which BTW are not even mentioned in the manual. His post prompted a few people to check theirs including us and we still had ours on both cameras (paid install) and another person who did his own install had left their film on as well. His experience probably saved our camera from crashing.

• Informative
Reactions: jayman
If Pittasoft would have come out with a version with built-in GPS/full HD for both cameras using the same tubular format as the 650S/GW soon after our purchase, I would have some mild regrets. Wonder if they ever will update this version. We discussed it before ordering and would just sell this one and upgrade. In the meantime as we explore using this, I think we're both pretty happy especially with the special pricing we got on it. This is our first dashcam and like having the "eyes" around the car.

Last edited:
CAUTION: Word to the wise whether you have your dashcam installed for you or do on your own, make sure the clear plastic film around the cameras is removed. Sounds like an obvious thing to do but apparently easily overlooked.

How can anyone miss that film? They both have red pull tabs and it's not that clear. The smaller film on the side of the main unit is blue so even though it's smaller it's still obvious.

Did I miss one?

Warning to those that want to connect to any public wifi that requires portal sign-in; this camera CAN'T do it. My small wifi devices that lack screens still at least forward portal sigin in pages so that a device with a screen attached to the device without the screen that has the mac address can still perform the sign in.

That said, xfinity will work if you copy your DR650s mac address temporarily to another PC/mac and then sign in to xfinity. You only need to do it once. After that, your the device with that actual mac address won't need to sign in again.

How can anyone miss that film? They both have red pull tabs and it's not that clear. The smaller film on the side of the main unit is blue so even though it's smaller it's still obvious.

Did I miss one?

Don't think so. From memory each camera has a clear film wrapped around the barrel with a small red tab at one end. There's a blue cling film that's on the wifi end of the front camera. Think it's just the 3 coverings. Only saw it in the box when we gave the unit to the installers. We drove home and the cameras were working and we were happy with the camera angle so never went back to do a close up inspection. We assume that the installers kept the film on while handling the camera, setting it's window placement and camera adjustments and just forgot to remove afterwards.

Hubby did notice the blue one when looking at the wifi end of the camera (was checking for hand movement for audio on/off control) and took it off when we got home. Later through the rear window during daylight he did see a little red tab on that camera but didn't realize it was more than a red sticker so figured he'd get around to removing it later. The rear one being mounted high up on the MS lift gate isn't as easy to reach. The front camera's red one wasn't noticeable to him, maybe due to reflections on the windshield or how the camera was turned.

If Pittasoft would have come out with a version with built-in GPS/full HD for both cameras using the same tubular format as the 650S/GW soon after our purchase, I would have some mild regrets. Wonder if they ever will update this version. We discussed it before ordering and would just sell this one and upgrade. In the meantime as we explore using this, I think we're both pretty happy especially with the special pricing we got on it. This is our first dashcam and like having the "eyes" around the car.

Yes, Pittasoft has told me that they are releasing a refresh version of the 650. However it looks more like the 750 than the 650 form factor. I have no special connection with Pittasoft/Blackvue. I simply contacted them and had an email exchange with someone on their support staff.

Yes, Pittasoft has told me that they are releasing a refresh version of the 650. However it looks more like the 750 than the 650 form factor. I have no special connection with Pittasoft/Blackvue. I simply contacted them and had an email exchange with someone on their support staff.

Hmmm. That's a bit unsettling to hear if they intend to replace the 650 design with a display like that. Hopefully Pittasoft will continue to improve the 650 line as it's presently designed. Kind of hoping at some point we could upgrade our 650S with a similar product and use the current wiring in place.

If Pittasoft thinks that the 650 customer base wants a unit with a big display with the front camera and they drop the current design format which fits so nicely behind the rear view mirror, I think they will lose out to other manufacturers like Thinkware. I know we looked at the Thinkware F770 before buying our 650S but specifically chose the 650 for the form factor despite some of its weaknesses in comparison to the F770. I know we would find the F770 flat window design more preferable to Blackvue's 750 drop down screen format so they'd lose us as future customers.

Reactions: Akikiki and brkaus
Hmmm. That's a bit unsettling to hear if they intend to replace the 650 design with a display like that. Hopefully Pittasoft will continue to improve the 650 line as it's presently designed. Kind of hoping at some point we could upgrade our 650S with a similar product and use the current wiring in place.

If Pittasoft thinks that the 650 customer base wants a unit with a big display with the front camera and they drop the current design format which fits so nicely behind the rear view mirror, I think they will lose out to other manufacturers like Thinkware. I know we looked at the Thinkware F770 before buying our 650S but specifically chose the 650 for the form factor despite some of its weaknesses in comparison to the F770. I know we would find the F770 flat window design more preferable to Blackvue's 750 drop down screen format so they'd lose us as future customers.

I don't believe they'd do that for a second. They have two forma factors now. The 650 and the 750. The 650 outsells the 750 100:1. Why would Pittasoft torpedo their business by deleting the 650 form factor and selling only a much larger unit with a built in display.

The simple answer is they wouldn't. The 650 form factor is wildly successful. Practically everyone that ones a high end car has one. I see them everywhere. I've NEVER seen a 750 in person.

Been using the cloud feature for a week or so. I've found it rather convenient to keep my verizon serviced ipad air in my glovebox and hotspot the camera off of it.

No complaints so far. The response is fast and the video starts immediately and switches between front and rear quickly.

You have 10 minutes / day which resets at midnight. I bought 24 of extra viewing time for $9 which should last me years as I rarely go over 10 minutes a day. The extra viewing block never expires and is not used unless you use your free 10 minute / day allocation. So if you use 12 minutes on a day, 2 minutes will come out of the extra purchased time.

In addition to watching my wife drive on the app now, I can view remotely how close she is to other cars and tell her to not tail gate through the speaker built into the dash cam.

She just loves to drive my car....noto_O

Reactions: Akikiki
Been using the cloud feature for a week or so. I've found it rather convenient to keep my verizon serviced ipad air in my glovebox and hotspot the camera off of it.

No complaints so far. The response is fast and the video starts immediately and switches between front and rear quickly.

You have 10 minutes / day which resets at midnight. I bought 24 of extra viewing time for $9 which should last me years as I rarely go over 10 minutes a day. The extra viewing block never expires and is not used unless you use your free 10 minute / day allocation. So if you use 12 minutes on a day, 2 minutes will come out of the extra purchased time.

In addition to watching my wife drive on the app now, I can view remotely how close she is to other cars and tell her to not tail gate through the speaker built into the dash cam.

She just loves to drive my car....noto_O

Careful with hotspoting from inside your car. There are thieves in San Francisco with wifi finders that target cars that have their laptop, phones left in there.

Careful with hotspoting from inside your car. There are thieves in San Francisco with wifi finders that target cars that have their laptop, phones left in there.

Very nice to know! I suppose they'd need to be aware when a car has a native hotspot built in. Wonder if I should rename my hotspot on my ipad to TeslaHotspot or something like that.

Are they scanning for SSIDs? What if I hide it? I suppose a savvy thief will still be able to see a signal even if they can't see the name?