Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 2-Ch Dashcam Install on Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any concerns with cycling the 12V battery when connecting to constant power? I called a local installer, and they recommend against using constant power due to this. I'm in AZ, so not sure if the intense heat makes a difference.

I have had mine wired into the constant power by the driver's footwell for 10 months and have never had a problem. I think your installer is thinking of ICE cars where the constant power could drain a normal car battery. This is not a problem for a Tesla because it could power the camera for many months without any problem. I get a bigger phantom drain from the car being constantly connected to LTE & wifi that I do from my BlackVue DR650S-GW

Reactions: madodel
ours will arive from Amazon by Monday ... so then the south Orange County installer search begins
Or you could install it yourself and save a bunch of money! I made some step by step tutorial videos of the installation on YouTube. Just don't follow my steps near the end where I removed the back trim piece. It's better to just fish a ziptie or a wire under the trim instead.

Or you could install it yourself and save a bunch of money! I made some step by step tutorial videos of the installation on YouTube. Just don't follow my steps near the end where I removed the back trim piece. It's better to just fish a ziptie or a wire under the trim instead.

I used your video for install, was a pretty quick and painless install. I used a 12" zip tie to fish everything through.

I just installed a Blackvue wanna-be that was $120 during the "Lightning Deal" on Amazon. It really lacks the key features that make the Blackvue the best, but for the price, it works well.

I used a OBD-II power source for 12 volts, then spliced in an in-line fuse to a 12 volt USB adapter from Walmart ($8), so it powers the cam and the wireless phone charger I also mounted,

The OBD-II port has a 5 amp fuse, so unlikely to be taxed by the camera and the phone, but can always upgrade the fuse to 7.5 or even 10 amps if needed.

The dual Blackvue would just need to run the rear cable thru to the rear, great videos online showing how to do so.

Amazon.com: Goluk T2 FHD 1080P 152° WDR Car Dash Cam with G-sensor for Real Time Video Sharing, Motion Detection, Traffic Accident Disputes, Parking Monitor Loop Recording: Car Electronics
https://www.walmart.com/ip/12V-Dual-USB-Car-DC-Charger-For-Smartphone-with-power-plug/51210209

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
For Blackvue DR650GW/S ;)
27436602042017Beta2.png

512478P1160373p.jpg

119797P1160380p.jpg

265111P1160378p.jpg

860038P1160380p2.jpg

572312oldsupportblackvue.jpg

Want AP2 version!

Mark me down for interest in an AP2 version as well!

I'm curious, has anyone here added a left & right dashcams? What happens if you get t-boned, how do you record that? I've seen some options like 4-channel+ recorders, or there's always the ones like this model from Amazon, which have two cameras on a swivel that you could angle out the windows:

Amazon.com: Falcon Zero F360+ HD DVR Dual 1080P 3.5-Inch Color TFT Rear View Mirror LCD Dash Cam with 32GB SD Card: Cell Phones & Accessories

Seems like a cheap way to get full-coverage video recording when used in conjunction with a BlackVue, especially for accident-reporting & insurance purposes.

5j8QYoe.png

Mark me down for interest in an AP2 version as well!

I'm curious, has anyone here added a left & right dashcams? What happens if you get t-boned, how do you record that? I've seen some options like 4-channel+ recorders, or there's always the ones like this model from Amazon, which have two cameras on a swivel that you could angle out the windows:

Similar to 2 channel (that you properly implement by having two independent dashcams - so there are no limitations on performance of both of them) - just mount 4: one front, one back and two in the side windows of the trunk (they are immovable, so are a lot more suitable than the windows in doors).

DIY jobs can be a blast. Thanks - but with time constraints, finding someone close by to to it might be more worth while, provided a decent price can be had.
It is currently a prototype.
It will be available soon for S and X
Looks like a great job for 3D printing !!
I'll have to see if i can do a mock-up for AP2 - if I can just work it into the schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
Westsiders - Al & Ed's did my S last year and X this year - flawless. They have a continuous line-up of Teslas being installed and are very reputable, fantastic guys and local for any subsequent tweakng or questions. DR650S-2CH $699 all-in ~ 3 hours and they'll uber you to/from a desitnation of your chosing to kill the time.