Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 650 (Dashcam) Group Buy, Round 2 - $310, including 32 Gig Card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You wanna do a install day? We could help each other out... Your car first? haha LOL

I'm still waiting for my car, but I have one of these cams and have all the trim removal tools needed. I've done several ham radio installs on cars and motorcycles, so I have experience with doing a "hidden" install. Here's the guide that I'm planning to work from:

Tesla Model S BlackVue HD Dashcam Installation Guide

I live in San Jose and would be happy to host an install party, either now or in a few weeks once I've taken delivery. Feel free to contact me via private message if you guys want to meet up.

Jeff

Just a heads up for those wanting to get the Blackvue. Premier, my shop installer in the Bay Area is offering the system for 650 16gb system for $290. My MX is at their shop getting it installed now. I worked out a deal with them so you can get it just by mentioning you are a TMC member. Their # is 510.623.1308 and also a sponsor here. Says they can ship anywhere.

Reactions: NikeWings
Just a heads up for those wanting to get the Blackvue. Premier, my shop installer in the Bay Area is offering the system for 650 16gb system for $290. My MX is at their shop getting it installed now. I worked out a deal with them so you can get it just by mentioning you are a TMC member. Their # is 510.623.1308 and also a sponsor here. Says they can ship anywhere.

Thanks for organizing this. I took them up on the offer and picked up a few days ago. As always, Premier is a top notch shop.

Got my dashcam in, but haven't installed it yet as I'm going to get the car tinted.

I'll be using the spare connector:
chrome_2016-05-31_16-20-34.png

which is a fairly standard 0.1" spacing header..
chrome_2016-05-31_16-21-00.png

I just so happen to have about 5000 of these!

chrome_2016-05-31_16-21-39.png

All I'll need to do is solder to the pins, shrink wrap them, and then I'll have a plug and play installation :)

We should have an install party at a Supercharger somewhere! I don't know how to do the cable hiding etc, but I can prepare some connectors!
If anyone is ever in North San Jose (near the airport), you can stop by my office and grab a connector. :)

Currently I plan to self install... if that changes ill let you know!!

My tips for self installers:

1. Pull the visor clips closest the main rearview mirror.
2. Pull the right side C-pillar panels (just forward of the hatch).
3. Pull the black cover panels around the right and top of the hatch.
4. Fold a wire coat hanger in half and shove it through the wire harness, then use that and electrical tape to pull the rear cable through.
5. Yes, you do have to drill that hole in the hatch, just caulk it after you run the wire through to protect the wire.

These are the lessons I learned. Every frustration I had was resolved by one of those steps. Really!

Oh, and that wire that runs from the front camera to the back is a coax cable. Coax cables have a maximum bend tolerance. Try not to over-bend it or crimp it anywhere along the way. You can damage it and end up with poor picture quality or no picture at all from the rear camera.

• Helpful
Reactions: Joelc and Tech_Guy