Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue DR650S Review + Tesla Model X Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you guys that have already had the Blackvue installed:

If you wanted to switch to another camera, would it be an easy swap? That is, is the power and the 2nd ch run 'plug and play'

If not, do you think it would be an easy swap as long as it remained Blackvue but another model?

honestly, it was so easy to wire it, that I have no concern about completely swapping out for any other camera. Retaining the same wires wojuld obviously make it super super easy to swap, but it all depends if the new camera has the same connection. I have no idea what other cameras use. I know some use micro USB, but not the blackvue. ALso, I doubt any other brand would use the same cable as the blackvue rear cam. That seems unique.

I am sure it will still be hidden with that adapter? Do you plan on splicing the OBD port directly? I wouldn't do that as Tesla may not like it but my installer tapped into the tow power under the carpet so IDK.

The whole point of using the OBD II jack for power is that there are many, many, many OBD II plugs available on Amazon that allows one to plug into that jack and take power without needing to cut into or splice into any wires in the car, making it completely reversible simply by unplugging the $!0 plug. There are also OBD II plug to Y with dual jacks, for plugging in even more gear, though that may be overkill, one set of leads coming off the plug should do for any number of low current peripherals.

After some cursory browsing in the car video and related I noticed that quite a few vendors of equipment include power cabling to an OBD II plug as a standard thing right in the box, making the OBD II jack the cigarette lighter outlet of the 2st century, where nobody seems to smoke in cars anymore, but everybody still wants to install a bunch of electronic peripherals. Maybe those OBD II Y adapters to multiple jacks is a wise purchase after all. If we could all move toward a standard and compact car peripheral interconnection standard that wasn't the cigarette lighter anymore, then maybe the cigarette lighter jack could be dumped entirely. The ham radio community has moved to a standard power plug/outlet combo that allows easy stacking, chaining and generally helped organizing 12v in-car power distribution needs, it's the Anderson Powerpole series of products. I'll likely be hiding some of these around our MS and MX to wake it super easy to drop in and remove/reconfigure various gear requiring 12v power drawing potentially 10s of amps, using their standard connectors. For cars not yet wired with Powerpoles they even sell a cigarette lighter to a Powerpole jack. They may be somewhat overkill for a light load like a Blackvue, but if you have plans for multiple items you want to run off the 12v, they would be a capable, modular system made to accommodate many scenarios. A link: Anderson Powerpole and SB Connectors | Powerwerx

Last edited:
Let's not standardize on the OBD II plug. It's much too large and would be a pain to try to route through the nooks and crannies of a vehicle to get a clean look. I just wired a blackvue this weekend and while I did use the OBD II jack for power, I spliced a 12V female connector to it so that the blackvue standard 12v could plug into it. 12v connector is still too big. We need something like USB-C type connectors.

Has anyone had any issues with the blackvue dr650s and using the cloud? I have tried 3 different SD cards, thinking that was the problem. The sandisk 64gb high endurance card works well with wifi direct. There is still some significant lag with the buffer, but it is tolerable. The cloud is still completely useless (unless I want to download the video, which also takes a while). I tried the OEM blackvue 16gb card that came with the unit. Same problem with the cloud. I think I have ruled out the SD card as the issue. Any thought about how to make the cloud usable?

Has anyone had any issues with the blackvue dr650s and using the cloud? I have tried 3 different SD cards, thinking that was the problem. The sandisk 64gb high endurance card works well with wifi direct. There is still some significant lag with the buffer, but it is tolerable. The cloud is still completely useless (unless I want to download the video, which also takes a while). I tried the OEM blackvue 16gb card that came with the unit. Same problem with the cloud. I think I have ruled out the SD card as the issue. Any thought about how to make the cloud usable?

Try upgrading to the lastest Firmware

Maybe a weak wifi connection on the BlackVue end? Do you have access points or just a router?
I added an access point to my network in order to get a strong signal to the camera. My phone picks up the wifi signal at least 30+ yards past blackvue across the street. I don't think it's the signal. I appreciate the thought. Any other ideas?

I emailed black box my car (where I bought it). They are working on it too.

I think so. The URL title is the old unit, but the texts says DR650S. I think this company has done group buys on the DR650GW in the past, so they may be reusing the same article name in their CMS for this new DR650S group buy.
Ordered from Mass Drop. The price is too good to pass up. Bought a 128GB card from Amazon. Combined, the two items are as cheap as the 16GB unit on Amazon. It's like I got a free upgrade. Thanks!

Just a data point, I'm using SanDisk Extreme 64GB Class 10 card (not endurance) with DR650GW-2CH old version (pre Apr 2015) which only allows V1 firmware. No cloud support.

I'm recording 24h for like one year and 8 months with no issues. WiFi Direct is very slow and the playback on BlackVue app is sluggish, but once the video files are transferred to the smartphone there's no issues.

• Informative
Reactions: MGMDaware
Just as a follow up . . . I have been in contact with BlackBoxMyCar via email. I took there suggestion and purchased a lexar 128gb SD card. I also installed a ZTE wifi hotspot in my car (using a project FI data only sim). Since doing these 2 things, I have had no random reboots, I maintain my connection to the cloud and the app seems to be somewhat more stable. The play back via cloud still has some lag due to buffering, but it is tolerable. We concluded it was a combination of poor wifi connection and bad SD card. Damn this thing is sensitive, but at least I'm up and running. Thanks for everyone's help!

-MG

Reactions: K-MTG
I think it depends on how often you view the clips via the cloud. Since I've had the dash cam for a few wks now, I am less obsessed with using the app and my data pull is minimal. I don't have enough data to support any long term findings. That being said . . . I am 5 days into my newest billing cycle and I have only used 0.12GB (based on project fi sim data only, which has an app that gives me accurate data usage). I think I viewed the camera a couple of times in the last few days. At this rate, I would expect maybe 0.5-0.75gb per month if I view the feed a few times a month. I won't know for sure until the end of the month.